Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journal

My Journal

This is my first post ever on wbb and I must say I'm impressed by the knowledge of many of the people on this site. I also have been working out for about 6 years now, but kind of did whatever and didn't have a serious routine. I won't even bother to post my old routines b/c everyone on this board will absolutely rip them to shreads (lots of overtraining, no lower body exercises) Anyways, I'm using wbb routine 1 with some slight modifications. Also, due to the crowdedness of the gym on campus, I'm doing stuff over a 4 day split instead of a 3 day like listed on wbb1.

Currently I'm 5-9 165 with ~7-8% BF. My goal is pretty simple, ,since I lift more so for tone than to get "big", I just would like to keep gaining mass while keeping my bodyfat in the 6-9% range. I'd say I'll be happy if I'm up to 175 with the same bodyfat within the next year. My long-term goal is to be about 190 pounds with 6-9% BF.

I realize that I don't "know it all" and expect to keep learning while I write this. So, I guess I could say to take it easy on me at first!

Here are approxmately my max lifts. I say this because I haven't maxed directly on them lately but used the charts to figure out what my max would be with the reps I used. Deadlifts are new to me so I wouldn't be surprised if I improve on them rapidly at first once I get the technique down
    Bench ~ 250 lbs
    Squat ~ 300 lbs
    Deadlift ~ 330 lbs

That would put me somewhere around 880 combined. I'd like to get that number up to 1,000 in the next year, but 950 is probably a more realistic number to aim for.

As for diet, I will somewhat watch what I eat, but not go all out like many seem to do.

Anyways, here is my current routine:

Tuesday:
    DB Bench
    Hammer Curl
    DB Incline Bench
    BB Bicep Curl
    Dip
    Abs

Thursday:
    Squat
    Calf
    Hack Squat
    Leg Extensions

Saturday:
    Smith Machine Military Press
    Tricep Pushdown
    DB Lateral Raise
    DB Press
    Tricep Extensions (I don't like the idea of skullcrushers w/o a spotter)
    Abs

Sunday:
    BB Deadlift
    SL Deadlift
    Shrug
    BB bentover row
    Pull Up
    Leg Curl

Monday August 19: (Back + Shoulder/Tricep leftovers)

Yeah, I probably should not be putting them together, and this is monday when I said I was working out on tuesdays. The reason I did this was that the weight room was closed saturday and was a nightmare in how crowded it was on sunday (I got 3 exercises done in an hour with only 2 sets and 2-3 minutes rest). Anyways, after today, hopefully I'll be back on schedule.

Smith Machine Military Press 100+ Bar Weight/5
    Tricep extensions 50/10
    Shrugs 200/10
    BB Row 95/11
    Pull Up BW+15/6
    Leg Curl 112.5/9
    Ab Machine 115/10

****I skipped Dead Lifts and SL deadlifts due to my back still hurting from the last time I did them. Even though I was trying my best to use good form, I must not have used good enough form. I think part of the problem is the inflexibility of my achilles tendon that makes me not want to squat down as much as I should since my heels naturally come way off the ground. Also, it is not inflexibility in my hamstrings, b/c I can touch my palms to the ground with my feet together and straight. As a matter of fact, my achilles was so tight when I was younger that they actually considered surgery on them due to their stiffness.

Hot Chicks: (I saw someone else do this and I figured I would)
    Many hanging around the abductor machine (if only they would do real exercises like squat, we might see more good legs and less "cottage cheese legs")

Diet:
    Oatmeal + Banana (preworkout)
    Oatmeal + Banana + Pudding + Whey Protein + Creatine(postworkout)
    Ramen Noodles + Protein for Lunch (gotta have a classic college food)
    Mac and Cheese for Dinner
    Protein at bedtime

Calories~2100
    Last edited by ryan1117; 08-25-2002 at 03:40 PM.

Tuesday August 20 (Chest/Bicep)

*I know my triceps are getting a workout again today, but I wanted to get back on schedule and my triceps are really sore right now, so that is good!

Weight = 164.2

DB Bench 75/6 (this feels light, I just have to do a better job balancing it)
    Hammer Curl 40/8
    DB Incline Bench 60/8
    Bicep Curl 90/6 (concentrated on good form)
    Dips BW+55/8 (these were a nightmare, the first set of bars were way too narrow and maybe made to target the triceps. Anyways, I moved to the other set of bars and had to try hard to keep the 55 lb dumbbell from hitting the steps to the bars. Hey, at least it will let me focus more on the negatives! )
    Incline Situps 45deg angle 10/10

Hot Chicks: A few but the big story of the day was some girl in one of my classes. She was wearing some jeans w/o a belt that kind of sagged down clearly showing her thong underwear. So much was showing that I highly doubt this was by accident!

Diet ~2300 calories

Wednesday August 21, 2002 (Rest Day)

Calories ~ 2100

My pecs, delts, and triceps are all sore

Thursday August 22, 2002 (Leg Day)

Weight = 164.1 WTF? I up my caloires yet somehow have lost weight every day this week. My guess is that maybe spacing the meals out lets me eat more per day. Or, maybe I just underestimated how many calories I normally eat since I haven't really counted them before.

Squat 225/8 (I messed around with settings on here trying to be parallel. I think I may have went a little past parallel b/c I felt my hamstrings touching my calves. Either way, I'm moving it up 1 setting next time.)

Sitting Calf Raises 230/10

Sled Hack Squat 110/10 (Probably could have done quite a bit more, but want to get the ROM down along with getting used to moving those stoppers into place. Which makes me ask, WHY DON'T THEY USE STOPPERS LIKE ON SLED? I think it is dumb having to move the stoppers back and forth by hand while you are lifting. It seems like it would make things more dangerous and make it less beneficial since you can't go to failure.)

Leg Extension 112.5/8 (The 112.5 on this machine felt like 180 on the machine I used during the summer. Therefore, I guess you can't directly compare Leg Extension numbers)

Hot Chicks: A few that work there looked pretty good!

Calories ~ 2700 (I expect to be back to 165 by saturday!)

August 23, 2002 (Rest Day)

My legs are a little sore.

Calories ~2700
    Last edited by ryan1117; 08-24-2002 at 11:09 PM.

August 24, 2002 (Shoulders/Triceps)

Weight = 163.25 (Okay, 2700 calories weren't enough so I'll go up to 3000 until it budges. I figure I don't want to drastically up my calories since I'm trying to find a good number for me to go with)

Smith Machine Military Press (95 + bar weight/7)
    Tricep Pushdown (130/8)
    DB Lat Raise (25/8)
    Sitting DB Press (50/8) *Probably could have gotten 1 or 2 more but I'll save them for next time.
    Lying Tricep Extensions (60/8) *I'm still getting this down, the weight felt somewhat light, but I want to make sure I keep my upper arms as stiff as possible with my elbows in. A light weight lets me do that until I get it down)
    Ab Crunch Machine (120/10)

One last thing, does anyone know if smith machines have a universal bar weight? I remember it was 20 at my high school, but I was wondering if all smith machines have the same bar weight. Also, are EZ curl bars 20lbs? b/c that is what I have been counting them as.)

Calories ~ 3000 (Hopefully I'll gain 1 lb back of the 2 I lost in the last week!)

Sunday August 25 (Back/Hamstrings)

weight=164.75 (It went back up with 3000 calories, so I'll hang around 2700 and see what happens)

Deadlift (300/3) I'm trying out sumo style. I hurt my back a few weeks back on conventional. I did 10 pounds less on sumo, but my back doesn't have any "bad" pain in it. Therefore, I'll stick with sumo style.
    SLDeadlift (255/9) This felt pretty good, my grip almost gave out at the end. I think I'll up this by 10 more pounds next week.
    Shrugs (205/10)
    Bent Over Row (105/10)
    Pull Ups (BW+15/6) Didn't improve, but pullups seem hard to improve on as fast as others. Plus, they are my last back exercise so I probably could do better if they were first.
    Leg Curl: (113/10)

Calories~2700

Monday August 26, 2002 (rest day)

My posterior delts are pretty stiff along with my back to a lesser degree.

Diet~2720
    Last edited by ryan1117; 08-26-2002 at 11:43 PM.

Bench ~ 250 lbs
    Squat ~ 300 lbs
    Deadlift ~ 330 lbs
    Pretty damn good maxes considering your bodyweight.

Pull Ups (BW+15/6) Didn't improve, but pullups seem hard to improve on as fast as others. Plus, they are my last back exercise so I probably could do better if they were first.
    Pullups are a b*tch to improve on. But hang in there man youll improve slowly and surely - you can count on it if your diet and all that is in order.

Tuesday Aug 27 2002 (Chest/Biceps)

weight=164.55

Well, aside from lifting I woke up this morning to find my windows xp with an error message. When I rebooted, numberous files were missing and I had to reinstall it. The only problem is that my windows xp cd key I think is either back at home or I lost it. I have the CD with me, but it wouldn't let me install it without my cd key. Then, I go to install windows me and it refuses to install b/c there are "errors on the drive" The only problem is that the scandisk that comes with that couldn't fix long file names! Also, since it didn't have an "auto-fix" option, I had to keep hitting "yes" about 1,000 times over 30 minutes. Anyways, I used an old version of windows 98 to fix the long file name errors and was finally able to install windows me. Luckily, everything went well after that. My answer to what went wrong was in my email. I got a message from the university saying someone was using my computer to send viruses to other computers. I guess it is some kind of attack over a network. Anyways, at least it didn't delete all my saved stuff and all I really lost was time along with all my customizations in windows xp. I also found out that I can get a free version of macafee. So, I loaded that up and hopefully won't get another virus for awhile.

Anyways, here is my workout (it didn't go much better than my computer)

DB Bench (75/6.5) I really felt I was going to knock down 7 or 8 reps. My biggest problem with this is that the weight feels light but my arms want to tremble a lot. I guess that is what I get for using a machine for the last few years before I changed my routine.
    DB Incline Bench (65/7) I guess I could call this improvement since I went up ten pounds (five per DB) for one less rep.
    Hammer Curl (45/6)
    Bicep Curl (90/4) Hmmm...don't know why I did 2 reps less than last week. Maybe b/c I made sure to keep my elbows in.
    Dips (BW+60/8) I'm glad to see improvement here, but I can't stand how they don't have a dip belt. It kind of sucks to have a 60 pound DB rubbing against your achilles tendon while you try to do dips. Also, I seemed to do a better job at not letting the DB get caught on the steps.
    45 degree incline situps (15/10)

Calories~2900

August 28, 2002 (Rest Day)

Nothing really is sore today except for a very slight stiffness in my anterior delts.

Diet~2920

Thrusday August 29, 2002 (Leg Day)

Weight = 164.00 I lost a half a pound, but then again that is insignificant with how my weight can fluctuate.

Squats: (245/9) (too high of a setting)... then (225/10) at a lower setting with not enough weight (I wanted to play it safe going to a lower setting. I probably could have done 3-5 more reps but I was breathing pretty heavy by the 10th rep. Either way, I'll probably take as much as a month getting used to squat again before I start doing my intended reps of 3-5 with a higher weight. I seemed to improve well in that rep range. It has been 3 years since I last did squats before I started this journal.)

Seated Calf Machine: (220/10) I know this is 10 less than last week, but I'm trying to let the weight push my heels down to try to get me more flexibility in my achilles tendon. I don't know if it will help them or not, but I figure it is worth a try.

Hack Squat Machine: (120/10)
    Leg Extensions: (113/10) I really am skeptical about this machine. I wonder if they just oiled it or something, b/c last week it took everything I had to get 8 reps at this weight. Today, I get 10 reps and probably could have done one or two more!

Calories~3400

I figure I'll mention this before anyone says anything, but I do 2 sets of pretty much everything with a few exceptions. I just record my first set on stuff b/c on upper body exercises for some reason I'm way weaker on 2nd sets regardless of how long I take to rest.

Friday August 30, 2002 (Rest Day)

My legs feel like they do after a typical leg day. I'd say my Glutes are the sorest part.

Calories~3100

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    YO, where'd the hot chick report go? This workout and diet stuff is all fine and good, but we need important info here!

Saturday August 31, 2002 (Shoulders/Triceps)

Wow, I'd say this was one of my best workouts improvementwise. I improved in every exercise!

DB Press 55/8 (Okay, at first I thought this was too good to be true. I figured I must have accidently mistaken some 50's for 55's. I check the DBs and they say 55. So, I have a very rare occasion of improving 10 pounds for the same number of reps in a week.)

Lying Tricep Extensions 70/6

DB Lateral Raise 25/9

Tricep Pushdowns 130/9 (For some reason I feel these more in my delts than my triceps. It weird too considering I keep my elbows in. If this continues I'll just do pushdowns on the bicep machine.)

Smith Machine Military press 95+bar weight/9 (This proved my DB Press improvent was no fluke. I improved 2 full reps with the same weight on an exercise that works pretty much the same muscles)

Ab Crunch Machine 130/10

Hot Chicks: I saw some girl with a very good body in a sports bra on my way in. Except they haven't allowed sports bras in the rec center since my freshman year. There were two decent looking ones in there, but they were your typical skin-and-bones, anorexic-looking, abductor machine warmers. Then, the day really improved once I went to the Football game. I have row 2 seats this year and they are right in front of where the cheerleaders stand on the sideline. Except, the best of the day were who I believe was the womens track team. They all were wearing spaghetti-string, skin-tight tank tops with daisy-dukes. Plus, most of them felt those tank tops covered too much skin, so they rolled them up from the midsection to have about the coverage of a sports bra.

Overconfident Chicks: When you go to a school that guys out-number the girls, many women can quickly get an inflated view of their looks and "think" they look good. Therefore, you get 40% bodyfat women wearing spandex or showing way too much skin. I'll bring up this category when I see this. Anyways, today at the football game I saw a disgustingly high number of women with cottage cheese arms and legs showing way too much skin. Yeah, I know it is hot outside but it is not because of those girls!

Lifting Mysteries: I'll add this category to my journal when I see people doing things that I can't figure out at the gym. Today, I see some guy about the same size as me doing 135 pound deadlifts. WTF??? I'm sure that guy could have at least been working out with 200. Hardly anyone seems to push themselves on deadlifts in our gym. I seriously have yet to see someone else do more than 225 on deadlifts so far in the 2 weeks I've been in school this year. Hey, that's good for me though. I can do deads without the long waits that usually come in our gym. Except, many times our beloved curl-jockeys use the deadlift platform to curl something like 55 pounds.

Calories~3410

Sunday September 1, 2002 (Back/Hamstrings)

weight=165.60

Deadlift (305/4) Five extra pounds, one extra rep. My grip felt better here. I kind of find it cool how I can feel and hear the air rushing through my ears on deadlifts.

SL Deadlift (265/6) My grip was great on regular deads and it sucked on SL Deads. My guess was that it got fatigued from normal deads (since I do SL deads right after normal deads). The 6 reps weren't any trouble, but the bar slipped out of my hands on the 6th rep. Luckily, I was able to slow it down enough to not get the attention of the whole weight room!

Bent Over BB Rows (110/11) Five more pounds and an extra rep again here from last week.

Shrugs (210/10)

Leg Curls (113/11) Maybe someday I'll feel this more in my hamstrings than my calves!

Pull Up (bw +15/7) Wooo hoo! I improved a rep on what may be my worst exercise!

Hot Chicks: One was maybe 5'-10" with some fairly short shorts, nice body, and a decent face. The other had one of the most attractive faces I've seen all week. She had a decent body too, but a little on the skinny side.

Mysteries: Some guy was deadlifting 75 pounds. He wasn't waming up either.

Miscellaneous: For the first time all year I saw a female doing squats! The bad news though was that she was only doing 55 pounds. I bet though that if you did squats without the bar or any weight, they would still be more beneficial than the abductor machine!

Miscellaneous: Did anyone see this women's show on one of the networks today? It was called something like Living longer. Someone was saying if you eat 1000 calories a day, you will live longer. They had this disgusting....and I mean disgusting looking guy that was 5-11 120 talking about his 1000 calorie a day diet. He claimed that he has lots more energy on his diet which I don't understand since CALORIES ARE ENERGY!!!! They showed him working out curling 12 pound DBs. Even more disgusting, he was wearing this really thin tank top and had shoulders about the size of Calista Flockhart's. I don't know about you all, but I'd rather die right now than look like him and live to be 100 (if that really does work for slowing aging!)

MY CALORIES ~ 3200 (guess I won't live to be 100)
    Last edited by ryan1117; 09-01-2002 at 10:52 PM.

Monday September 2, 2002 (Rest Day)

My lower back hurts from deadlifts (good pain I think).

Calories ~3100

September 3, 2002 (Chest/Biceps)

Weight = 165.20

DB Bench 75-8 (My right arm lost balance on the 1st rep and I thought, "this is going to be a long day". But, after I straightened things out, I knocked down 8 reps while keeping good balance.)

DB Incline 65-8

Hammer Curl 45-6.5 (I actually had 7 here, but my body kind of leaned at the endof the last rep so I'll only count 1/2 of it!)

BB Bicep Curl 80/6 (I lowered the weight and tried to keep good form)

Dips BW+65/8 (The 65 pound DB tore up my left ankle. They don't have a dip belt there. Therefore, I don't really worry too much about dropping the weight from my ankles after my last rep. The thing goes bouncing off the floor. It's kind of funny to see. I'm not sacrificing any of my safety to protect their damn DBs. Last year I did a similar stunt b/c they didn't have 100 pound plates. I would just pick up and carry 3 45's across the room at once to load them on a machine. I wanted to get some doofus that probably couldn't lift one 45 to tell me not to do that so I could tell him to get 100 pound plates. However, that never happened so I didn't get to do that. But, if someone says anything about my dips, I'll reply "Get a F--in dip belt!(OK, maybe not that exactly), some of us actually need more than our own weight" The sad thing too is that I rarely see anyone else using more than their own weight! I always find it funny to see these fatasses who think they are so tough and act so tough to not be able to work out with even their own bodyweight on dips.

45 degree Incline Situps 20-7

Hot Chicks: There were tons today. However, they were all a bunch of 7s and 8s mostly. There was one that would probably be a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. She kind of let me down when she went straight to the abductor machine. Anyways, I'd say she was 5-6 and maybe 120. Short Blue shorts, and blond hair with a pony tail.

All Time Hot Chick: We all set goals, so I'll set a goal for the "hot Chicks" section to beat. This summer I probably saw the best girl I've ever seen in the gym. She was kind of tall (5-9 or 5-10), had a really good face, blond hair, and a pony tail. She was wearing my favorite type of shorts (to look at women wear, not wear myself!). They were the skintight volleyball style shorts that probably went literally to wrist level if she would hold her hands to her side. Well, here is the best part. Her workout that day consisted of Cleans, Skullcrushers, Squats, and I think deadlifts! It is rare to see women where I am at do ANY of those! I remember her cleaning over 100 pounds too. (note to any women reading this: I'm not saying all women don't do real exercises. I'm sure if you are reading this, you do real exercises so I'm obviously not talking about you!)

Mysteries: About half the people hogging up benches today were doing flat bench with 30 pound DBs.

Calories ~ 3200

September 4, 2002 (Rest Day)

I feel a slight bit sore in my delts and my triceps also feel sore but for some reason my right tricep is more sore than my left. My only guess for that could be that maybe a slight bit more of my bodyweight is supported on my right arm on dips or something (since I'm right handed).

Calories~3250

September 5, 2002 (Leg Day)

weight = 165.70

Squats 225/11 (I'll probably up this to 245 next week)

Sitting Calf Raise 230/10

Hack Squat Machine 130/10 (I'm still slowly upping the weight on this until I get used to it enough. My knees are kind of bothered from it though. If this continues, I'll do the barbell version of hack squats. It is strange I'm feeling pulling on my knees considering I feel nothing bad on my knees from squats (which I HAVE to elevate my heels on)

Leg Extensions 125/10 (I seriously think these take more out of your muscles immediately after the exercise than even deadlifts! I mean, sure deadlifts tire out more muscle tissure, but I'd say leg extensions have to be the best isolation one of the bunch. My quads are so tired after doing these that I literally have trouble walking up and down stairs.

Hot Chicks: The one with the nice face I mentioned a few days ago was there along with one wearing volleyball shorts. I'll give both credit since I didn't see either one on the abductor machine!

Miscellaneous:
    Okay, I actually saw someone squatting with 315 on today. However, his thighs probably made a 135 degree angle with the ground! Hell, I'm probably a few inches above parallel, but my squats probably look like ass to floors in comparison to most people I see doing them!

Mysteries:
    That same person doing 1/2 squats took the saftey bars out of the power rack. I have no idea why you would want to do that! First off, you could put them just below where you plan to go down to if you don't want them to get in your way. I think squatting without the safety bars is one of the stupidest things you could possibly do. Plus, I like them so I know how far I need to bring the bar down.

Calories~3200

Energizer Bunnie
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    Hot Chicks: The one with the nice face I mentioned a few days ago was there along with one wearing volleyball shorts. I'll give both credit since I didn't see either one on the abductor machine!
    I find it rather amusing that you rate a chick by the type of workout she does .

Why do you have such an obsession with the abductor machine?
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

I have sort of intentionally been ripping on the abductor machine because of a few reasons.

1. Most people on there have been watching too many infomercials and think they can "spot reduce".

2. Here is a ROUGH breakdown of what I have seen women doing for the 3 weeks I've been here. I'll list my guestimate on how many women I have seen on each machine in 3 weeks.

~75 on the Abductor Machine
    ~40 on Leg Extensions
    ~30 on Leg Curls
    ~20 on Calf
    ~10 on Lying Leg Press
    ONE on Squats
    ZERO on 45 degree leg press
    ZERO on Hack Squats
    ZERO on Stiff Leg Deadlift

This list would likely be the other way around with a serious lifter! If someone would ask "what is the best lower body exercise" on here, I'm sure we would have about 80% of the people saying squats, 15% saying leg press, and 5% other.

3. The Abductor Machine is nowhere to be seen in any of the WBB routines and is also absent in a vast majority of the journals by people who are insanely strong here on WBB.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it would make a decent SUPPLEMENT for leg day, but most of these people seem to be using it as their main lift!
    Last edited by ryan1117; 09-06-2002 at 04:48 PM.

Friday September 6, 2002 (Rest Day)

No surprise, my legs are sore after leg day.

Calories~3000