The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journal

Dont sweat not getting 450 for a double man, its all good.

Keep up the hard work ryan.

I noticed there were animal pics going up in the members pics section lately. I figured I would put my pets in which I miss very much when I'm down here at school during the school year.

Here is a pic of Shelby. She is a long haired miniature dachshund. The miniature part is kind of funny because she loves to eat and is overweight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5-9 170

Here is another of Shelby thinking I had food when I was taking a picture of her.
    5-9 170

Here is "Da Cat" Zoe. She likes to sit in sinks.
    5-9 170

Here is Zoe drinking from the sink. She begs me to death to turn the water on so she can drink from it.
    5-9 170

Energizer Bunnie
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    Here is Zoe drinking from the sink. She begs me to death to turn the water on so she can drink from it.
    Awwww bless....she is so adorable Ryan.....simply irresistable... too damn cute for words actually . Just as well I'm not there or I'd pick her up and take her home with me...lol.. That is the second cat I know that drinks straight from the tap....
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Ryan, I think i have fallen in love....

with your dog!!
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by Franjipani

Awwww bless....she is so adorable Ryan.....simply irresistable... too damn cute for words actually . Just as well I'm not there or I'd pick her up and take her home with me...lol.. That is the second cat I know that drinks straight from the tap....
    Add a 3rd cat to the list. My roommates cat is so spoiled now. Of course I did it. I love cats...really more than dogs. And this cat jumps up on the lavatory every time I run water and I let him drink. Now the dang cat begs me to run the water every time I am near the bathroom. ARGH! Smokey is pretty spoiled now. He is finally getting some attention LOL.
    peace-

Craig

Where in Indiana are you from Ryan?
    peace-

Craig

Monstar: I guess I can't win em all. It feels strange to not improve in deadlifts for once considering my big time improvement lately. I gained about 50 pounds on my deadlift in December and then dug myself out of about a 30 pound hole I fell in from after I was sick. It could possibly be due to me really pushing myself on SLDLs on Thursday. Maybe my body didn't have enough time to recover. It may be a good race between my deadlift getting to 500 and my bench getting to 300. I'd say they are about even right now on how close I am.

Franji: It is funny how she doesn't mind getting wet. The water can splash all over her body and she won't mind it. Most cats may drink it, but are terrified about getting wet.

Miss Rezza: You should see the personality on Shelby. She is the most loyal animal I have ever seen. I got sick last summer and was in bed. She was banging at my door to make sure I was okay. When I let her in, she saw me lifeless on the bed. She started whimpering like she was all worried about me. She also gets worried when Zoe goes to the vet. When I come home from school on breaks, she sprints back and forth as fast as she can wiggling all around with excitement.

BennettBoy: I'm from Fort Wayne when school is not in session.
    5-9 170

Those pets are absolute treasures. Makes me miss my pets back home.

I'm going to have to get more pictures of mine when I go back home.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Tuesday February 4, 2003(Chest/Triceps)
    Weight = 164.7
    I give up (no not really). Iím just totally clueless why my weight went down once again despite eating 3600 calories for the past two days. That is 800 over what my maintenance level was last semester. This sort of sucks because I will practically have to force feed myself now if I continue to eat as clean as I am. I know for a fact that I can put on weight easily if I eat junk food. If I keep having trouble putting on weight while eating clean, I think Iíll have to mix in some junk food. In the mean time, Iíll try to see what happens at 4000 calories per day.

DB Bench (90/7!)
    Actually, I have never done DB Bench with the 90ís. I jumped from the 85ís to the 95ís last December. The 7 reps at 90 though Iím sure would be a PR, so that is what Iíll call it! I figure Iíll need to be doing the 100ís for 8 to make a serious run at 300 on the barbell. My barbell strength has always been better than my DB strength.

Tricep Extensions (90/9!) This is improvement also. Everything seems to be falling into place for the upper body except for dips. I probably could have tried for 10 if I wanted to. But, I figured I wouldnít since I hit plateaus a lot when I up the weight too fast.

DB Incline (75/6)
    Whoops, I had the incline set higher than I usually do. That is why I only got this for 6. I use a 6 setting which means I have 5 open holes and the pin in the 6th hole. I had 6 open holes today. I need to mention that better in my notebook so I donít confuse settings.

Tricep Pushdowns (150/6.5!)
    I may drop this down to 135 next week. I donít know about the low number of reps here. My form seems to be better with higher reps.

Cybex Abs (140/16!)
    I added one more rep here today.

Dips (BW+75/7)
    Hey guys, remember when you used to be my best exercise? Yeah, those were the good ole days. Deadlifts are beating you all senseless right now. Iíll probably be benching 300 by the time they get back to where they were (which was BW+135 for a max)

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some blonde hair in a ponytail. She had a dress code violation with blue sweats.
    2. This one had some curly long black hair in a ponytail. She had short black shorts with nice legs, but was tan.
    3. This one had a very beautiful face with long straight brown hair in a ponytail. She had short blue shorts and a t-shirt. I didnít have much time to get a good description since she was on her way out.
    4. This one had straight black hair in a ponytail. She was wearing short black shorts and was doing a leisurely set of assisted dips. She had nice legs, but was tan.
    5. We all know who number five on this list is (since it is a week day). I actually didnít see her on the abductor machine, but that is likely due to her not getting there yet.

The winner of the day goes to Miss I barely saw you. Her face is just too beautiful.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. I had to wait awhile for some guy on the ab machine. He wasnít quite as bad as many of the people on there recently.
    2. I didnít really pay attention, but Iím sure someone was probably doing curls in the squat rack.

Other Stuff:
    1. Iíve had coldlike symptoms lately. This is no surprise and is probably from the cold weather we had about a week ago. The good news is that I didnít get as serious of a case as I usually do.
    2. I forget to mention this is my last few posts, but Ron Artest needs to calm down. He is a very important player for the Pacers. They canít afford for him to keep getting suspended.
    3. Iím not happy with Mike Vanderjagtís comments. All that will do is create controversy with the Colts. I personally donít want them to trade him because he is the best kicker in the NFL in my opinion.
    4. ESPN mentioned on how the NCAA tournament committee may want to make a big effort to seed teams close to home so there will be big crowds. One of the scenarios they mentioned was Purdue in Indianapolis for the first two rounds. :evillaugh But, it worries me just as much that IU could be there. I checked up and the seeds that would play there would be 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Right now Purdue and IU would be lined up for a seed between a 3 and a 6. Therefore, they would have to either get worse or better to play in Indy. Iíd personally take a 7 seed in Indianapolis over a 3 seed somewhere else. I donít like that idea even though it could possibly work for Purdueís advantage. It just brings back memories of Texas playing 2 home games in Dallas last year despite being a 6 seed. It puts the adjacent 3 seed at a major disadvantage. (which I believe was Mississippi State last year) Then, think of all the times Duke and North Carolina have played in either Greensboro or Winston-Salem. Iíd almost be for making it so a team could not play in the same state for the tournament.
    5. They had Purdue projected as a 4 seed playing UNC Wilmington with Butler in the adjacent bracket. Those are two teams you DO NOT want to have in your bracket this year. Remember this when they five their opponent fits in March. Other probable Cinderellas are Kent State and Southern Illinois for the second year in a row. Creighton and Gonzaga donít count as Cinderellas since they are more well known.
    6. The radio station was playing ďTo Here Is No WhyĒ by the Smashing Pumpkins there today. That was possibly my favorite track off of Mellon Collie. I just found it cool to see a radio station playing a Smashing Pumpkins song other than Zero, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, 1979, or Tonight Tonight.
    7. I was walking to the corec when I saw a ROTC member in full uniform. I expected him to pull out an MP5 and shoot me. Whoops, Iíve been playing too much Vice City lately. Those bastards shot at me when I was on the OUTSIDE of their base.

Song of the Day:
    Judas Priest----------Turbo Lover (Off the Gran Turismo 3 Soundtrack)

Judas Priest was a little before my time (I think), but I do like this track. This song brings back memories from my many hours playing GT3. Memories of me throwing the controller because my car spun out of control on the sharp corkscrew turn at Laguna or right before finishing a marathon race at Tahiti Maze are common. Okay, that wasnít a good example, but I do have a lot of good memories from GT3.

Calories~4000 (Iíve got a lot of ground to gain. I should be at 170 right now to be on pace for 175 in a month.)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HomeYield: Yeah the first thing I think about when coming home are the pets. I usually go straight to them before I finish unloading my car.
    5-9 170

I didnít really pay attention, but Iím sure someone was probably doing curls in the squat rack.
    OMG!! A guy was curlin' in the squat rack at ma gym today!! I've never seen anyone do somethin' so stoopid before!! tuttut

But alas, i just laughed to myself and thought of you and how pissed you would be had you been there!
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

I've actually found that the more I eat the harder the harder it can be to gain weight. My metabolism cranks up and burns off alot of what I eat. I have to be eating bucko's of food to really start to gain weight. Its tough trying to force feed yourself though, but its just one of those things we do.

Originally posted by Miss Rezza
    OMG!! A guy was curlin' in the squat rack at ma gym today!! I've never seen anyone do somethin' so stoopid before!! tuttut
    As much time as you spend in the gym and this is the first time you've evern seen this?! I need to workout in your gym. There has never been a day when I haven't seen some guy doing curls in the squat rack. 5 did today alone.
    What is elite?

February 6, 2003(Leg Day)
    Weight = 166.5 Wow, it went up! It darn well should after 4000 calorie force-feeds!

Squats (260/8!)
    Like the last few weeks, this felt the same with 5 extra pounds and the same number of reps. I like being able to up the weight every week since 5 pounds is a small percentage. I think Iíll keep adding 5 pounds every week and try to get 8 reps.

Standing Calf Raises (450/11!)
    I added a rep here and it felt easier than 10 did last week.

Stiff Legged Deadlifts (from floor)(355/8)
    I intentionally didnít try for 360 or 365 this week due to me probably going overboard on these last week. I did my most intense set ever last week on this. I was so lightheaded that I was kneeling down for about a minute after this last week. This week, I didnít feel nearly as bad as I did last week with the same weight. I also suspect that could have kept me from having a good deadlift on the following Sunday. Iím still thinking about trying out a platform here instead of doing them from the floor.

Leg Extensions (163/9.5)
    Iím still one rep away from where I was here, but Iím limiting myself to only one rep improvement per week since I donít want to up the weight too fast.

Leg Curls (125/7.5)
    This is a half rep better than what I have done in about a month and a half, but still not my best. I have been stretching my Achilles tendon on this exercise to try to take my calves out of the lift. This makes the lift harder, but it keeps my calves from doing the dirty work. I had 125 for 9 when I also used my calves on this.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had light brown hair in a braided ponytail. She had a dress code violation with some black sweats. She was a little bit lacking in the lean body mass department though.
    2. This one had some blonde hair in a ponytail and some volleyball shorts. She was leaving right around when I came in, so I didnít have a chance to get a better look at her.
    3. I wonder who this could be since it is a weekday. I bet youíll never guess what her workout routine was too.

The winner today goes to Miss Blonde Haired Volleyball Shorts. She isnít as anorexic as the brown haired person with the same name. Plus, her legs and butt looked nice in full compliance with the dress code.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. I wonder what someone was using the squat rack for with a bar loaded for 65 pounds that wasnít re-racked?
    2. The guy next to me was doing you know what in the squat rack. Plus, he was grunting for a measly 65 pounds despite being the same weight or possibly a little more than me.
    3. Youíll never guess what the guy after the guy next to me was doing in the squat rack?

Other Stuff:
    1. IU lost their 4th straight game last night to Northwestern (who was 0-7 in the Big Ten). It is fun browsing through their rivals.com page. People are now making petitions to fire Mike Davis. I love watching those people whine.(which many of them did nothing but trash talk to Purdue Fans such as me for the last two years) It is also fun hearing all them say they wonít make the NCAA tournament. I think they will make the tournament unless they finish really bad.
    2. I beat Vice City today. I was only one asset away from initiating the final missions before today. It took me 20 hours of game time to beat it. That is longer than I expected, but still nowhere near the 40-50 hours it usually takes to beat the Final Fantasies.

Rant Time:
    I really like the music this station in the weight room is playing lately. This station is an alternative station that also plays some metal. Most of the songs they play I like. However, they have had some pathetic commercials on there (mostly relating to health). They had a carbohydrate eliminator commercial on there for awhile. Then, they had one of the most hated commercials by me on there. This commercial was one of those typical diamond commercials. It was to the tune of, ďGuys, there is no better way to tell a woman you love her than spending a 3 months worth of salary on a diamond.Ē That commercial made me mad, but nothing made me as mad as today. This commercial was for some ďfitness centerĒ. I want to put special emphasis on the fitness center part. This was a word I never thought anything about until recently. This commercial started with the normal ďblah blah blahĒ type of stuff and sounded like some normal ďfitness centerĒ commercial. However, they then had a line that made me say, ďF*ck youĒ out loud. This commercial said something to the tune of, ďWe have personal trainers, not bodybuilding personal trainers, which will help you reach your goals.Ē WHAT? Here we go again with this sh*t! TRAINING LIKE A BODYBUILDER DOES NOT MAKE YOU BIG AND BULKY. IT IS A SURPLUS OF CALORIES THAT DOES!!!! These are the same people that probably would look at me and think my training consists of running on the treadmill for 2 hours a day without any lifting. I am what they would call ďslim and tonedĒ. Of course these idiots donít seem to realize such a thing even after seeing living proof such as myself that you donít get big from lifting heavy unless you have a surplus of calories. Oh well, these same people will get their punishment for their ignorance with a sh*tty physique. They will get down to their ďtargetĒ weight and be all happy, but still have a sorry bodyfat percentage. They will just be another fat person in a skinny frame like most dieters today. Plus, thanks to their large loss of lean body mass since they donít work out, they will have such a low metabolism that it will be a major challenge to just eat at maintenance level. In my opinion, bodybuilders are BY FAR the most knowledgeable and helpful people on improving your physical appearance or health. Remember, bodybuilders not only have to be dedicated to having a workout routine, they also have to have a solid diet. This solid diet has more to it than just eating to lose weight since you have to worry about your nutrient percentages every day. In other words, bodybuilders have to be successful with two things. Most of these people that badmouth bodybuilders canít even be successful with one part. The fitness center was named ďLifetimeĒ I would not be a bit surprised if it was related to the TV station. (It just seems to me like many of the viewers on it would be the type of people that would badmouth bodybuilders)

Song of the Day:
    AC/DC------Thunderstruck (Track 1 off The Razors Edge)

This is one of those songs that always seems to get my adrenaline going. It is not super heavy, but is one of the better known AC/DC songs that Iím sure everyone has heard plenty of times.

Calories~4000
    Miss Rezza: My guess is that most of the people that work out at your gym are not guys. Iíd say literally 99% of the people doing curls in the squat rack are guys. I guess that would be the guy equivalent of using the abductor machine.

HomeYield: I hear you on the weight gain part. Things would be easy if I could just eat stuff like donuts all day to get my calories. 4000 would be super easy to get to then! LOL
    5-9 170

Saturday, February 08, 2003 (Shoulders/Biceps)
    Weight = 168.3ó4000 calories may be a little too fast of a gain for me, but at least it is going up. I think Iíll go for around 3700 now. I think I may ditch this ďI need to be here by here.Ē attitude. I just need to make sure things slowly go up.

DB Press (65/9!)
    This is a half a rep PR here. The set felt really good too. It is nice to have forward progress every week since I came back to school on this. I was stuck in a plateau for quite awhile here in late November and all of December.

Hammer Curls (50/6.5)
    I had 7 reps per arm, but decided not to count all of the final reps due to some momentum.

DB Laterals (30/7)
    There was nothing much here. Things felt normal and I didnít really think I could pull off another rep so I didnít try. Like I have said before, this is by far the worst exercise at being able to gradually up the resistance (since you have to up the weight by such a high percentage like jumping from the 25ís to the 30ís.)

DB Bicep Curls (40/9!)
    These keep going up which is nothing surprising since it is a new exercise. Iíll probably have to wait until I pull off 15 reps or so before I try to up things to the 45ís thanks to the 10 pound minimum of upping the weight.

Cybex Ab Crunches (145/15!)
    I upped this by five more pounds and it felt the same as 140.

Seated Military Press (135/8)
    These didnít go up today, but since they are my last exercise, you never know. I put more stock into what I can do at the beginning of my workout. Therefore, I put more stock into DB Press.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some brown hair in a ponytail. She had a very short pair of orange shorts. Her t-shirt went down to the level that her shorts went down to. She had a nice body and a decent face.
    2. Miss Unorthodox DB Laterals was doing her strange wrist exercise again.
    3. This one had black volleyball shorts and a blue shirt. Her hair was dark brown and in a ponytail.
    4. This one was tall with blonde hair tied back. She had a pair of short green shorts on.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Short Shorts. I liked how they were so short that the t-shirt went down to their level.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. You know what someone was doing in the squat rack.
    2. Two more people did the same thing with horrendous form a little later.
    3. Captain Short Pink Shorts was there again. Luckily, he stayed out of everyoneís way.
    4. I had to wait for yet another marathon set on abs with 30 pounds.
    5. A guy was doing military press by only bringing the bar down to eye level.

Other Stuff:
    1. My car wouldnít start this morning and I believe it was due to some POS vehicle setting off the alarm through vibrations. You know, those annoying vehicles that sound like a Nascar driving at 185 since they donít have a muffler or whatever. The vibrations from those pieces of sh*t seem to be what sets off most car alarms anymore. Anyway, I still donít understand what could have tripped the thing. I had the alarm disabled. Anyway, the thing wouldnít shut off so I opened the hood and pulled the live wire right out of the horn. That shut things up, but the alarm was still functioning by flashing the lights (and draining the battery). I pulled out the brains of the alarm which are in the car and unplugged everything. That shut off the alarm and let the car start. In case you are wondering, I did not install the alarm. (that was Best Buy)

2. Haha, that is five straight losses for IU. I hope all their geek and redneck fans break their legs jumping off the bandwagon. Since most are Notre Dame Football fans anyway (since their FB team sucks), they should have just stuck with Notre Dame for basketball. (since they are good this year) That way, they would actually look like credible fans. They now have to pull a few upsets just to make it to the NCAA tournament. They likely will be underdogs in all four of their remaining road games. They have to finish 4-3 in order just to be 8-8 in the Big Ten. Like many have said, a losing conference record will not get you in this year. On top of that, they are 0-4 on the road in the Big Ten right now. If they go 0-8 or even 1-7 on the road, the tournament committee may frown on their road record and not take them.

3. I have a major dilemma on who to root for this Wednesday between IU and Michigan. If Michigan loses, it could move Purdue back into sole possession of first place in the Big Ten. If Michigan wins, Purdue will likely still be tied for the Big Ten lead. However, the tiebreaker is that IU will lose their 6th straight game and likely end any tournament hopes for them. I think Iím still rooting for Michigan. I rooted for the Russians when they played IU back in 87. That was a good game. Bobby didnít like a call in the game and took his team off the court and quit.

4. ESPN is really digging deep to try to get viewers for their games. They kept calling Michigan State vs. IU a rivalry game. I had a hard time trying not to laugh at how pathetic that statement was.

Song of the Day:
    Nickelback----Never Again (Track 1 off Silver Side Up)

I like this track. I like it better than some of their others that seemed to get lots of radio time.

The Road to the ďRoad to the Final FourĒ (The NCAA Tournament):
    40 days from today, there will be an abbreviated news at noon. Then, they will cut to Gregg Gumbbell saying, ďWelcome, weíve got a whole slate of matches ready for you today starting with Valparaiso vs. (whoever the team is they play)(it seems like Valpo is always the first game)Ē He will then say, ďThose of you waiting for this game, or this game, we will get you out there shortly.Ē Clark Kellogg will then say a few things about what each team should look out for in each match up. After that, Gumbbell will then get in an extra advertisement by saying, ďJoin us for Cingular at the Half!Ē Finally, they will get out to the games and Iíll get to see the same 3 commercials about 150 times through the course of the day. I absolutely, positively couldnít stand those Microsoft .Net commercials last year. Of course, there will likely be press clippings of Bobby Knight complaining about how his team got stuck with a 10:30 game. He will do his annual complaining about how it is past their bed time. (yet, he has midnight practices if they lose) On top of that, it will be time to start scanning all the news channels around Midnight after Bobby goes out in the first round and adds even more classic press conference outbursts to add to his vast resume.

Calories~3700
    5-9 170

Sunday, February 09, 2003(Back)
    Weight = 167.1óLike I said yesterday, Iím going to quit worrying so much about small fluctuations. As long as my weight goes up over the long term, Iíll be happy.

Deadlifts (430/2!)
    This is only improvement due to it being the most weight I have ever gotten for multiple reps. Even though the 425/3 a few weeks back was more impressive, I doubt I would have had enough to get 430/3 then.

BB Rows (155/8.5)
    I decided not to count all of my 9th rep. My torso was probably too high on it.

Hammer Strength Shrugs (3 second pause at top) (360/8.5!)
    My grip started to slip towards the end of this. I didnít lose the grip, but holding it for 3 seconds at the top makes the 8.5 reps really feel like 25 to my grip.

Lat Pulldowns (165/14!)
    Iíll probably go up to 16 or 17 before I up this to 180. I just have ugly thoughts in my head of upping this right now and only being able to do 180 for 6 or 7. Then, Iíd probably fall into a plateau due to my for suffering with the lower reps.

Pull Ups (bw+10/7.5!)
    I added a half a rep, but my pull-ups still suck.

So, I would say this was a very good workout despite me not being happy about my deadlift struggles lately. I would have liked to have better bar speed on 430. However, if I would have decided to count that 9th rep on BB rows, I would have improved on every exercise. Right now, Iím riding a confidence high on most of my lifts. I have this attitude that nothing is going to stop me on bench and squats. I feel that the 350 squat is going to be a cakewalk and the 300 bench press will be a very obtainable goal. Yesterday, I was 168 and was worried when I saw myself in the mirror because I looked too ripped to be 168. I figured I had dropped down to 164 or 165. To my surprise, I was heavier despite not losing any definition. I still have a feeling that I will be happy enough with the definition at 175 that I wonít cut back from it. As long as I donít get some injury or sickness that sets me back a month, Iíll keep this train full of momentum rolling!

Hot Chicks:
    1. Miss Lesbian was there doing an impressive set of 90 lb free weight bench press for reps.
    2. This one had some brown hair in a ponytail and some short blue shorts with text on the butt. She had by far the most impressive exercise of the year by a chick when she did 7 (yes seven) unassisted pull ups. Iíd bet she doesnít use the abductor machine.
    3. This one had short red-orange shorts with some light brown hair tied back. She had some nice proportions.

The winner of the day has to go to Miss Pull Ups. 7 bodyweight pull ups are unbelievable considering most chicks there probably couldnít even do one since they just do abs and the abductor machine.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. Someone was doing upright rows in the squat rack. He didnít want to tire himself out too much for the set by deadlifting 60 pounds to get in the starting position.
    2. Wow, that was only one gym mystery today. I guess that is because the curl jockeys donít get up on Sunday morning to lift.

Other Stuff:
    1. There is a thermodynamics exam coming up on Tuesday night. Iím fairly confident going into it. On the last quiz, I had the wrong answer but got a 16 out of 20. So, to my surprise, they actually do give you all those points if you get the wrong answer. (I doubted this on the first exam when I had a 13/20 despite having the right answer because I skipped all the BS)
    2. Iím still trying to decide who Iím going to root for on Joe Millionaire tomorrow. Do I want to see the woman that actually seems like a decent person win? Or, do I want to see the bad one win and have fun watching her hear the news?

Song of the Day:
    Iggy Pop----Real Wild Child

They had some flashback cafť thing on the radio today while I was working out. They played this track. I remember it from some movie. Iím thinking I remember it from one of the Problem Child movies. The first two Problem Child movies were classics.

39 days from today

Calories~3800
    5-9 170

Energizer Bunnie
    Right now, Iím riding a confidence high on most of my lifts. I have this attitude that nothing is going to stop me on bench and squats. I feel that the 350 squat is going to be a cakewalk and the 300 bench press will be a very obtainable goal.
    THAT kind of attitude will get you EVERYWHERE . Yeah, dont sweat the small fluctuations...you are heading in the right direction hon.
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Tuesday, February 11, 2003(Chest/Triceps)
    Weight = 168.7 Movin on Up

DB Bench (95/4.5!)
    This is improvement, but I was hoping to get more than a half rep improvement. I notice I have a lot of trouble stabilizing the DBs at the lower rep ranges. I donít think it helps with the new type of DBs growing outward instead of having a greater diameter. The DBs start to get fairly wide at the higher weights which make them slightly easier for me to lose my balance with. Next week, Iíll move back to the 85ís since Iím attempting to have a variety of rep ranges each week just to throw my body a curve. The cycle right now is 85-90-95. If Iím doing the 95ís for more than 5, Iíll probably up the cycle by 5 pounds each DB.

Tricep Extensions (90/9)
    I donít like the newer preacher curl bars they have there. They still weigh 30 pounds which is nice, but the newer ones have a slightly different grip than Iím used to.

DB Incline Bench (75/8)
    This is a half a rep off my PR, but I didnít have two exercises in front of it back then. Now, I have it after DB Bench and Tricep Extensions. Therefore, the muscles used in this exercise are somewhat fatigued by the time I start. Like I have said before, my short term recovery is HORRIBLE.

Tricep Pushdowns (150/7!)
    This felt easier than last week.

Cybex Ab Crunches (145/16!)
    I like using a higher rep range here. With the higher rep range, Iím able to have very gradual improvement. That is usually the key to my improvement.

Dips (BW+75/8)
    This is a rep better than last week, but still around 10-15 pounds off my best. I guess I should be glad that my illness didnít permanently damage my big three which I value the most.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some short brown hair. The length was almost in the lesbo territory with its length. She had a dress code violation with black sweats. She was doing a set of leg raises.
    2. This one had short blue shorts and some brown hair in a ponytail. She had something about her that I liked. It is one of those things I canít really explain.
    3. This one had short red shorts and brown hair in a ponytail. She was very lean, but not anorexic looking. This usually means that she is or was a skilled athlete in one sport or another. My guess would be soccer. He body proportions make a good prototype to the perfect chick in my opinion.
    4. Iíll give some brownie points if you can guess who this is since it is a weekday.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Prototype. Her body is a good example of a near perfect physique. On top of that, everything else is just about as good. All most of these girls really have to do is just have a good physique and keep things simple.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. Captain Short Pink Shorts was there.
    2. That is all. This is another day low on mysteries. However, spring break is only a month away. Iím sure they will be in full force in a few weeks. Most wait until the week before spring break to work out. I find it amusing how so many people think they are going to see a noticeable change in their physique after only a week.

Other Stuff:
    1. Iím not liking one of my classes right now. I donít like classes that donít really apply to what is in the book. So, if you donít quite get everything from lecture, you donít really have anything else to help you. To make matters worse, I have yet to see any solutions for homework or lab assignments. How am I supposed to learn from my mistakes if there is just an X next to an answer?
    2. I was sort of talked into going to a wedding a few weeks from now. I really didnít want to go due to it likely hurting my school work. Just my luck, Iíll get hit with all this stuff due right around when I have to go to it. Oh well, Iíll get to see my pets when I go home.

Song of the Day:
    Godsmack-----Vampires (Track 9 off Awake)

When I first heard this track, I kept thinking, ďWhy arenít there more nice instrumentalsĒ I guess most bands donít want to make them since the radio usually doesnít like to play them. Metallica used to make great instrumentals. They would always have an instrumental on their first four albums. Anyway, this is another track that sounds great with subwoofers. It is always great to have heavy guitars with nice bass that doesnít interfere.

37 days from today:
    Kentucky is looking awfully good right now. They would be my vote for the best team in basketball at this moment. I know Louisville has a better record and beat Kentucky, but Conference USA isnít quite as good as the SEC. Kentucky has been destroying some very good teams in the SEC. It is amazing since Kentucky did not look like a good team at the starting of the year.

Calories~3700
    Franji: My biggest problem is that I want to put on the weight as gradual as possible. It gets hard to add a pound a week without either adding three or losing one. The random fluctuations keep me from being able to gage things with precision. It would be nice if I could walk in to a workout and say, ďI need to gain 0.25 pounds from last workoutĒ
    5-9 170

I was sort of talked into going to a wedding a few weeks from now. Oh well, Iíll get to see my pets when I go home.
    Plus FREE ALCOHOL!! Why wouldn't you go!?!?!?! :alcoholic

btw, congrats on the weight increase dude!! You're kickin' butt!!
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Good work on the DB bench ryan! Impressive man. Keep up the hard work.

I think the reason that there aren't more instrumentals these days is that the bands don't have the talent they used to. Its just some strumming with very little lead. Of course it takes some talent to create and write songs but I think it'll be a while before we see instrumentals come back into mainstream bands.

Heck, its rare to hear any guitar solos anymore. And those are always my favorite being that I enjoy lead over anything.
    What is elite?

I broke 170 this morning. Here is a comparison of measurements from 165. I still donít feel measurements are as good of a gage as weight lifted and bodyfat percentage, but I felt like comparing things.

Upper Arm (13.6Ē) (+0.1Ē)
    Neck (16Ē) (+0.4Ē)
    Chest (39Ē) (+1Ē)
    Thighs (23Ē) (+0.5Ē)
    Waist (31.5Ē) (+0.5Ē)
    Forearms (11.2Ē) (+0.2Ē)
    Calves (15.6Ē) (+0.1Ē)
    Hips (38Ē) (+1Ē)

To me nothing really sticks out. On a better gage, I still see 6 abs when Iím in good lighting. They arenít as clear cut as they were at 165, but Iím happy that they are still there at 170. My best guess would be 8% for my bodyfat right now. Of course that may be like 12 on the WBB scale since I have seen people that look like 6% be called 10% by WBB users. In my opinion, if you see six abs, you are 8% or less if you are a guy.

Update: I just tested my bodyfat with the calipers and got 8.2%, so my estimation was pretty accurate.
    5-9 170

Thursday, February 13, 2003(Leg Day)
    Weight = 170.4 OMG! I am such a f*cking fatass! I better go on a 1000 calorie per day diet and run for an hour on the treadmill every day. OH WAIT, I'm trying to gain weight. Never mind! On a more serious note, I wish my metabolism would pick a maintenance level and stick to it. It seems like I either gain weight faster than I want or not gain any at all.

Squats (265/8!)
    For the fourth straight week, I upped the weight by five pounds. For the fourth straight week, the weight felt the same as the week before. I will argue until the day I die that small percentage progressions from week to week are the best way to improve. I really wish they would have something that I could attach to the DBs so I wouldn°¶t be limited to 10 pound progressions. That is absolutely brutal on things such as DB laterals where I have to up the weight by 20% when I want to up the weight. On squats here, I can up the weight right now by roughly 2% per week. On something like deadlifts, I can up the weight by about 1%.

Now, I will add my two cents on this exercise that is still overshadowed by my deadlift and bench. Squats may actually be my best improvement since last August. I know you are probably thinking, "Hey you did those weights back in October" The catch is that I have lowered my depth twice in that same period. So, I really have increased my squat by a lot since last fall if I would have squatted to this depth back then. I also will add that I didn°¶t know any better back then on what a proper depth was. I used to think that parallel was to have the bottom of your thighs parallel to the floor. Plus, maybe about 1 out of 10 people I would see would squat to even that depth. Now, to the best of my view on squats, the tops of my thighs are parallel to the floor. I have a mirror in front of me to monitor the depth. I predicted squats to be my breakthrough exercise for this semester. So far things have been going as planned. This will likely cut into my 150 pound disparity between squats and deadlifts. But hey, if deadlifts want to improve, I'm fine with that!

Standing Calf Raises (450/12!)
    This felt easier than last week with 11 reps at the same weight. That sort of starts to pose a problem since 450 is the most the machine is designed to take. I could try paused reps, but I sort of already pause at the top for a second or two. I could try putting heavy DBs on some of the supporting bars on the machine, but I could just see the faces on the people who work there. Remember, this is a fitness center now! They no longer cater to the serious lifter. The calf machines are there for cardio queens to do 8 reps of 90. as a supplement to their intense sets on the treadmill, 20 pound/150 rep machine crunches, and the abductor machine.

Stiff Legged Deadlifts (from 8" platform) (225/8)
    I'm already unhappy with the platform they have. They need to make the platform around 4 or 5 inches so I can have room for my feet to fit below the bar. With how this platform is set up, I'd have to have the bar 1.5 feet away from my shins. When I pull with the bar in the normal position, I have to worry about my grip giving way and a heavy weight falling on my toes which could literally break them if I was doing a heavy weight and it fell from the top of the lift. I think I'll use some 35s below my feet as the platform for next week. That would put the elevation around 4-5 inches. That should be about right for the bar to just graze my toes as the plates on it touch the ground. Of course, I wouldn't be saying all this if they would have kept the deadlift platform!!

Leg Extensions (163/11!)
    Good, this is another exercise that I finally passed my old PR. I lost around 4 reps on this from my illness back in early January.

Leg Curls (125/7.5)
    I had 8 written down for this, but decided that I would not count the 8 reps. The last rep had a little too much hip action at the end of it. In my opinion, this is a near worthless exercise. At least I have squats and stiff legged deadlifts. Therefore, my hams should get a great workout before I even get to this.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had really short red shorts and some brown hair in a ponytail. I really liked her legs. The shape of them just looked too good.
    2. This one had medium length blue shorts that bordered on a dress code violation. She had dark brown hair in a ponytail and did a few machine exercises.
    3. This one had a dress code violation with windsuit pants. She had brown hair in a ponytail and I believe was doing free weight military press as one of her exercises. Actually, she had another dress code violation too. According to the gym's dress code, you have to have sleeves. She had a sleeveless shirt on. However, that is a dress code violation I won't complain about.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. There were about 4 different people using the other squat racks in the period that I did my squats. Not one of them was doing squats. There were a bunch of 135 pound shrugs.
    2. It is getting slightly more crowded there. I guess I can give the spring breakers some credit for starting a month early as opposed to a week. However, we all know you will not see a significant difference at least muscle wise in a month.

Other Stuff:
    1. We are supposed to get snow, ice, and all that other bad stuff tonight. That won't be fun. I fear how walking to class is going to be considering the zamboni will come out and brush off all the snow from the top of the ice. Think about it. Snow gives you traction over ice. Without the snow over the ice, walking is very dangerous. A few weeks back, I was walking like a 90 year old grandma and still almost fell three times.
    2. Purdue is undefeated at home this year, yet can°¶t play at all on the road. They better hope they get put in Indianapolis for the NCAA Tournament.
    3. People were right. Vin Diesel does have small legs in proportion to the rest of his body. I'm watching some movie with him in it right now. I notice how they never seem to show him without long pants on. Of course, he never will come near Arnold in regards to movie roles. Arnold was the greatest in movies with his accent.
    4. ACC refs are turning into Big Ten refs. That is ridiculous how they called so many fouls that 8 people have fouled out in the Duke/Wake Forest game. The game took roughly 3 hours.

Song of the Day:
    The Macarena

No, not really. I just couldn't think of one.

The Road to the "Road to the Final Four"(The NCAA Tournament):
    35 days from today:

Purdue likely blew their chance at a good seed such as a 3 or 4 in the tournament last night. It may not be too bad if they end up as a 7 in Indianapolis. (which I would rather them have than a 3 somewhere else) The only thing though is that they have to finish ahead of IU. (which they have some cushion right now) The reason I say this is because two conference schools can°¶t be set up to play each other in the first two rounds. Therefore, the Indianapolis spot will likely go to the better of the two teams if they both end up in the 7-10 range for seeding.

Calories~3500
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Miss Rezza: Thanks, but I wish my weight would learn how to gradually go up. It seems to either want to jump way up or not go up at all.

Monstar: Hopefully I can keep the recent improvement up. I figure I need to be doing the 100s for maybe 5 reps to have a shot at getting 300 for 1 on barbell.

HomeYield: Yeah, I loved the older stuff that used to have lots of solos. It does seem like there aren°¶t nearly as many any more.
    5-9 170

I am such a f*cking fatass! I better go on a 1000 calorie per day diet and run for an hour on the treadmill every day. OH WAIT, I'm trying to gain weight. Never mind! On a more serious note, I wish my metabolism would pick a maintenance level and stick to it. It seems like I either gain weight faster than I want or not gain any at all.
    I have the exact same thing here. Its crazy the way it gains quick and then doesn't at all for awhile. Even with diet being the same and everything. I really think just the stress of outside things can cause a major disturbance in the metabolism.
    What is elite?