Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journal

Saturday, September 7, 2002 (Shoulders/Triceps)

Seated DB Press (55/10)

Lying Tricep Ext (70/7)

DB Lat Raise (25/9.5)

Smith Shoulder Press (100 + bar weight/9)

Tricep Pushdowns (130/10)

Ab Crunch Machine (135/10)

Another Perfect day improvementwise.

Hot Chicks: It was too early. I got there when they opened. They all seemed to be walking in as I left.

Mysteries: A couple of guys in their 30s maybe were in there doing bicep curls. They did them on the deadlift rack and made sure to bend their back at a 45 degree angle. The motion looked more like an underhand gripped clean. Of course these guys had to grunt really loud too!

Calories~3000

Sunday September 8, 2002 (Back/Hamstrings)

Weight=165.60

BB Deadlift 315/4

SLDL 265/7

Machine Shrugs 210/11

BB Row 115/12

Leg Curls 125/6

Pull Ups BW + 15/8

Hot Chicks: None, plus I had to hurry to make it back in time to watch the Colts game.

Mysteries: Some guy was doing bodyweight minus 100lb dips (and this guy wasn't fat or anything). I swear I work out in a gym full of pussies (with the exception of some people). Maybe it is because my school is more of a engineering/technology school. But hey, I'm an engineering student! I just realize that most engineers aren't exactly physically fit.

Non Gym Related: That Browns/Chiefs game ending was something else! I can't believe both of the boneheaded plays by the Browns in the last minute (2 15 yard celebration penalties). That game gave me quite a laugh! On top of that in a different game, 2 kickoff returns in one day by the same player???....Wow!

Calories~3020

Monday September 9, 2002 (Rest Day)

My lower back was sore from deads, but less sore than the past 2 weeks. I guess that could be good or bad.

Calories~3060

Tuesday September 10, 2002 (Chest/Biceps)

weight = 165.00

DB Bench (75/10) I'm thinking that my stabilizer muscles might be finally deciding to catch up. I noticed a lot less trembling in my arms which let me use near-perfect form on these while adding 2 extra reps from last week. The real test for my stabilizers will be next week when I up the total weight by 10 pounds by using the 80s.

Incline DB Bench (65/9) Shame on me, I only improved one rep! No, just kidding. I just have been on a major tear lately improvementwise that a rep a week actually seems small!

Hammer Curl (45/7)

BB Bicep Curl (80/7)

Dips (BW+75/8) I upped the weight by 10 pounds from last week and actually had an easier time this week doing the same number of reps. Some girl kind of gave me a "What the f#%k are you doing" look when I put the 75 pound DB between my ankles.

45 degree incline sit ups (20/8)

Hot Chicks: One apologized to me because she thought she interfered with my incline bench. Actually though, she just happened to walk by as I was dismounting the DBs.

Gym Mysteries: A guy was doing "just the bar" barbell curls on the deadlift rack. Also, he had to have one of our limited supply of ez curl bars on hold for his girl even though she wouldn't be using it for about 10 more minutes. After that, I waited maybe 15 minutes for a different ez curl bar while this girl did reverse grip cleans....errr I mean bicep curls. Finally, I end up waiting another 15 minutes while this guy does bodyweight minus 120 dips. I guess he dethrones that guy from sunday doing bodyweight minus 100 dips. Also, this guy wasn't fat either.

Calories~3100

Wednesday September 11, 2002 (Rest Day)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......Nothing to say

Calories~3200

Thursday September 12, 2002 (Leg Day)

weight = 165.40

Squats (245/9)

Sitting Calf Raises (235/10)

Hack Squat Machine (140/10) My knees hurt really bad on this at first, but I moved my heels up about 6 inches on the foot platform and they quit hurting.

Leg Extensions (125/11)

Gym Mysteries: I walked in to do squats and always have that worry that I'll have to wait for them forever b/c someone will be doing bicep curls in the power rack. Well, luckily I didn't have to wait but it was no surprise for me to see both power racks loaded up with 60 pounds So, not only did these people do curls in the power rack, they also failed to re-rack their weights.

Calories~3100

Friday, September 13, 2002 (Rest)

Typical post-leg day soreness. I do hamstrings on a separate day yet feel them more from Squats than SLDL and Leg Curls combined.

Calories~3100

Saturday September 14, 2002 (Shoulders/Triceps)

Weight=166.10

DB Shoulder Press (60/6) I went up to the 60s and lose 4 reps for 10 extra pounds. I think it was more of a stability problem than a strength problem.

Lying Tricep Extensions (70/8)

DB Lateral Raise (25/10)

SM Shoulder Press (100+bar weight/10)

Tricep Pushdowns (14/8)

Ab Crunch Machine (140/10)

Gym Mysteries: I could be wrong on this, but don't you do good mornings in the power rack? I've never done them but it seems dangerous to be doing them without the power rack (which this guy wasn't using). If you lose control, you have a heavy bar falling on the back of your neck.

Hot Chicks: It's too early to see them in the weightroom when I went, but there were some good ones at the football game. There were a lot dressing in some very sexy costumes. My best way to describe it would be to picture the french-maid costume and make it into different costumes with just as much revealed!

Miscellaneous: I've been trying to avoid being on the jumbotron at games, but the cameraman got me today!

I loved seeing Nebraska get killed tonight. Now if they could only return the 94 national championship to its rightful owner (Penn State), give back Michigan the other half of the 97 national championship, and have Eric Crouch give last year's heisman to Grossman or Harrington! (yeah I know Grossman hasn't looked good this year, but he did last year!)

Calories~3020

Sunday September 15 2002 (Back/Hamstrings)

Weight= The scale was out of order

BB Deadlift (325/4)
    SL Deadlift (265/8)
    Machine Shrugs (215/11)
    BB Row (125/10)
    Pull Ups (BW+15/8)
    Leg Curl (125/7)

Mysteries: Okay, once again the power racks are filled with lightweight bars set in a position which could only mean bicep curls. It didnít affect me today, but I know it will be a matter of time before it affects me along with others. I finally decided to write out a comment card to the gym about people doing bicep curls in the power rack and deadlift platform. I was nice about it and didnít point any fingers in my comment. I just said that bicep curls can be done almost anywhere unlike squats and deadlifts. Since they answer these and post them, Iím gonna take a few guesses on how they will answer it.

1. (the most likely answer; 45% chance). We understand your problem, but there is nothing we can do about it. The people doing bicep curls were there first and have every right to use the power rack for 45 minutes to do their 10 sets of 50 reps. We suggest you come in at 6am to work out.
    2. (the pussy answer; 20% chance) Deadlifts and Squats are dangerous and we suggest for you not to do them. You will get a great workout by using our back extension machine along with the abductor machine for legs.
    3. (the new gym answer; 34% chance)We understand it is crowded, but it will get much better when we open up our new facility in a month. We will be adding many more treadmills, exercise bikes, and abductor machines. Due to the low demand for deadlifts and squats, we will be removing our power racks and deadlift platform to make room for our new and improved equipment.
    4. (the answer of my dreams; 1% chance) We understand there is a major problem with people doing this. We have had many complaints in the past from serious lifters. We will be getting signs made to remind people not to do that in the next week. Also, it kind of evens out when you look at the slim shoulders, chicken legs, and nonexistent chests that are found on curl jockeys.

Hot Chicks: There were a few, but I was in a hurry to make it back in time for kickoff. Therefore, I donít really have any details.

Calories~2940

Monday September 16 2002 (Rest Day)

Pretty much my entire back is sore today. I'd say my traps and lats are the most sore.

Calories~2900

Tuesday September 17 2002 (Chest/Bicep)

Weight=165.80

DB Bench (80/8) Felt pretty good. My form didn't seem to suffer like it usually does when I up the weight.

DB Inc Bench (70/7) Incline bench always seems a little more intense for me than flat bench.

Hammer Curl (45/7.5) I got 8 but I only counted half of the last rep due to my body wanting to kind of sway at the very end.

Bicep Curl (80/8)

Dips (BW+85/4) I know this is lower than last week but I finally found a dip belt and have to get used to the weight being on my lower back as opposed to my ankles. A couple of guys kind of looked like their eyes were gonna pop out of their head when they saw me do them. I guess that is what happens when probably 2/3 of the people do weight assisted dips in my gym.

45 degree incline situps (20/9)

Miscellaneous: They answered my comment about doing bicep curls in the squat rack. It pretty much said to tell whoever is working there and they will tell the person doing bicep curls to move. I'd say that was a decent response. More of the reason I wrote that is so maybe the people that do such a thing might read that and realize that people don't like it when they do bicep curls in the power rack.

Hot Chicks: There was one that really caught my attention. She had a real nice proportioned body with a beautiful face. Some men might have said she isn't skinny enough since she maybe was 5-5 130. The way I see it is that if those legs are firm and not flabby, she is not too fat! I kind of get sick of seeing these anorexic looking girls that think their 15-inch diameter thighs (or whatever they would measure) look good.

Mysteries: Maybe I should just make a macro for this, but a couple of guys by me who were serious lifters had to wait maybe 15 minutes for a power rack because.........you guessed it.....a guy was doing bicep curls in the power rack!

Calories~3000
    Last edited by ryan1117; 09-17-2002 at 10:48 PM.

Originally posted by ryan1117
    Mysteries: Maybe I should just make a macro for this, but a couple of guys by me who were serious lifters had to wait maybe 15 minutes for a power rack because.........you guessed it.....a guy was doing bicep curls in the power rack!
    I guess they haven't read the response from management yet and so didn't get management to kick the curl-jockeys out of there.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Wednesday, September 18, 2002 (Rest Day)

My delts are pretty sore today. Anyways, I think I'm going to go a little less strict on my diet. I pretty much have been getting 95% of my calories from pasta, eggs, skim milk, chicken, meat, oatmeal, and yogurt. However, due to past experience, I can't afford to keep eating the same foods day after day. I will eventually get sick of everything I listed if I keep eating the same things every day. Therefore, I think I will still get a good chunk of my calories from the stuff I listed above, just eat other non-bodybuilding foods also to prevent burnout on my diet. Another concern of mine is that I don't think I'm getting near the fat I should be getting. The eggs and oatmeal are pretty much the only things that even have fat. The yogurt, milk, and chicken are fat free. If I eat less strict however, fat shouldn't be a problem to obtain. I'll just watch out for the saturated kind! Other than that, I'll continue to aim for around 3000 calories for my daily intake.

Calories~3060

Thrusday September 19 2002 (Leg Day)

Weight = 166.30

Squats (250/9)

Seated Calf Raises (240/10)

Hack Squats (150/10)

Leg Extensions (138/9)

Hot Chicks: None really stood out today. There were lots of 7's and 8's.

Mysteries: I had to re-arrange the pins and bar holder in the power rack before squats because, you know why. Plus, you also probably know what happened the second I finished my squats. And........you probably could guess what happened after those people finished their sets.

Calories~2900

1 month update:
    Here are the changes in some of my lifts after one month of using a slightly modified version of WBB Routine 1. I'm getting these values by comparing my estimated 1 rep max from that useful repcalc program someone put on here awhile back. Of course, I'm sure many of these improvements are inflated since some of these lifts were new to me a month ago. That barbell row improvement really sticks out.

Squat +18 lb
    DB Incline Bench +19 lb
    DB Press +21 lb
    Deadlift +22 lb
    DB Bench +23 lb
    BB Row +36 lb

I'd say right now my biggest goal is to get my deadlift max up to 400 by the start of 2003. Nah, make that 405 so I can have 8 plates!

Friday September 20, 2002 (Rest Day)

My quads and hamstrings feel like they are tied in knots. My glutes don't feel as sore as they usually do the day after squats. Therefore they aren't literally "a pain in the ass" like they usually are. My knees felt a little bad early today from hack squats.

Calories~2900

Saturday September 21, 2002 (Shoulders/Triceps)

weight=166.30

DB Press: (60/7) Sure, it is one better than last week but I wanted to get this 8 times since last week was a disapointment on this.

Lying Tricep Extensions: (70/8.5)

DB Lateral Raise: (30/5) I upped the weight 5 pounds per DB, but the problem was that it is still one huge jump in weight used percentagewise. As a matter of fact, according to the max estimation charts, 30/5 is actually improvement from 25/10! That kind of made my day when I was all down on myself for getting the 30s only 5 reps. The only thing I don't like with DBs is that you can only go up in 10 pound increments (the ones in my gym).

Smith Machine Shoulder Press (110+bar weight/8)

Tricep Pushdowns: (100/11) I switched the grip on this. I'm now using the triangle shaped grip and have my two thumbs touching each other in a triangle shape.

Ab Crunch Machine (145/10)

Mysteries: This guy racks the bar on bench uneven. He gets up and I figure he is going to level it out. Nope, he goes on to load weight on an unevenly racked bar (one side was maybe 1 foot higher than the other).

Hot Chicks: One didn't look too bad and was doing some decent exercises, but she kind of gave me that lesbian vibe. I can't really explain why, just my instincts. A couple of decent ones came in right as I was finishing up. One had a nice chest along with a decent face and legs.

Calories~3000

Sunday Sept 22 2002 (Back/Hamstrings)

Weight=167.65 Whoah, big jump there! On the positive side the little accumeasure caliper things seem to adjust fairly accurately to fat gains/losses. They were saying my bf was 7.5% today. It measured 6.5% earlier in the week when I was at 165.

BB Deadlift (335/4) My grip probably felt the best it has ever felt on deads despite adding 10 pounds for the 3rd straight week. Also, I beat my old previous max by five pounds and 3 extra reps! But, in all fairness, my 330 deadlift a month ago was from my first time ever doing deads. Also, If I were to max on deads, the improvement would probably put me over 900 now on the big three combined. I know it doesn't sound like much as compared to many people on this site, but it makes me happy. Plus, every once in awhile I see these really fat former high school football players bragging by wearing their 800 pound club t-shirts.

SLDL (265/9)

BB Row (130/8)

Machine Shrugs (220/11)

Pull Ups (BW+15/7) I think the extra couple of pounds made me go down a rep since it probably would have been equal to BW+17 last week. However, I did try to slow them down some.

Leg Curls (125/8)

Hot Chicks: None really stood out today.

Mysteries: After I finished deads, a guy does them with 115 pounds. I guess I can give him credit at least for doing the correct exercise on the platform. After that, we all know what the next guy proceeded to do on the deadlift platform! Also, some old dude was getting a good back workout with his bicep curls.

Calories~2700
    Last edited by ryan1117; 09-22-2002 at 11:43 PM.
    5-9 170

Monday September 23, 2002 (Rest Day)

My back is extremely sore today from deadlifts. Luckily, it is all good pain. My traps feel a slight bit of soreness when I shrug my shoulders. I don't feel a damn thing in my lats!

Calories~2800
    5-9 170

Tuesday, September 24 2002 (Chest/Bicep)

weight=164.70 (must be fluctuations, I only cut 200 calories the last 2 days and somehow lost 3 pounds, so that sucks!)

DB Bench (80/10!) I got two more reps here. I'm kind of surprised I'm still improving at the rate I am on this. I figured my "new exercise" improvement would end after 2 or 3 weeks. Yet, I've improved for 5 straight weeks now on DB bench.

DB Incline Bench (70/7) This was not improvement, and I'll explain a possible reason why in my "mysteries" section at the end of this post.

Alternating Hammer Curl (45/8!) I alternate these between each arm by doing 8 reps per arm. I know a lot of people do both arms at the same time. So, I guess if alternating them is a bad thing, someone tell me and I'll do them at the same time.

Bicep Curls (80/8.5!) I got 9 reps, but only counted 1/2 of the last one due to the body leaning forward slightly towards the end.

Dips (BW+75/8) I'm back to where I was. Just, I'm now using the dip belt.

45 degree incline situps (20/10!)

Hot Chicks: One regular there is kinda starting to grow on me. The only problem is she keeps hogging up the damn EZ-curl bar forever right when I need to get to my sets of bicep curls. Maybe some day I'll give her advice on her form for bicep curls(she uses a decent weight but flings it up). Another regular there would really be able to go from a good looking girl to a great looking girl if she would work her legs on more than the abductor machine. Yet another Tuesday regular was also there. I think she was the girl that thought I was pissed at her last week (which I wasn't).

Gym Mysteries: Okay, in hindsight, I'm kinda pissed at this one guy that kept nagging me while I was doing bench press. He kept asking "are you done" after each set of mine. Why does he have to keep asking me? We have 7 or 8 flat benches there for DB bench. Now, I admit all were full, but can't he kind of spread that question around besides from bothering one person? I'm kind of bugged that I felt a slight bit guilty and tried to hurry up and reduce rest between sets. As a result, I went from DB Bench to DB Incline bench with maybe 1:30 of rest. Now for some people, this may be enough time, but for me it is not! So, I can't really compare my "reduced rest" incline bench to my "full rest" one from last week. To make matters worse, this guy goes on to do 15 pound DB flat bench! Things like this can make me understand why many serious lifters have a reputation for being easily annoyed!

Diet Mysteries: Today I went to a mini mart place on campus to get some cream cheese to put on my bagels. Since they are a mini-mart they have a limited supply of stuff. So, I see two philly cream cheese types; a regular and a light. I go to pick up the light and it seems more like they made it light by reducing the protein. I think it only had something like 3 grams per serving. Now, I think I remember seeing other kinds of cream cheese that were higher in protein and weren't loaded with fat. This so-called light stuff still had like 75% of it's calories from fat.

Another thing that kind of bugs me are bread companies that are reducing the carbs in their bread!!!! I got some wheat buns the other day and they have a big stamp saying "only 16g of carbs". Carbs are the whole f%#king point I eat breads and pasta. Due to our low selection, I'm forced to get this stuff. Plus, it makes me wonder why the calories aren't any lower if they reduce carbs. That just makes me think they are replacing nutrients with "empty calories"

Miscalaneous: I got some tuna today. I have to make myself like it before I get too sick of chicken and eggs. I have to admit it didn't taste as bad as I expected it to. Plus it is nice that I can get so much protein without having to waste my time cooking anything.

Calories~2950
    5-9 170

Energizer Bunnie
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    I got some tuna today. I have to make myself like it before I get too sick of chicken and eggs. I have to admit it didn't taste as bad as I expected it to. Plus it is nice that I can get so much protein without having to waste my time cooking anything.
    Hey Ryan,

One tasty EASY tuna meal i prefer is adding it to a mix of avocado, diced tomato, onion & cracked black pepper with a dash of lemon...its delish....this mix is also yummy on toast too...
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Wednesday September 25 2002 (Rest Day)

I don't usually mention my rest in my journal, but today I had 11 (yes eleven) hours of sleep. I slept through my first class and then decided to just take my whole morning off! Anyways, my delts are really sore today. For some reason it is always my delts and not my pecs after chest day. Now, I USED to arch my back a lot on bench press. However, for some reason I lost that habit when I switched to DB bench. Therefore, I'm not sure why I feel it so much in my delts as compared to my pecs. Anyways, I better get to sleep since it is getting late. I need to get to the gym early enough to beat the crowds so I don't have to wait to do squats in the bicep curl rack!

Thanks for the recipe info Franjipani, I'll have to try that sometime when I have tuna.
    5-9 170

Thursday September 26 2002 (Leg Day)

weight~166.2 Good, that is where it belongs for now!

Squats (255/9!) For some reason I felt more explosive on the way up as compared to previous workouts.

Seated Calf Raise (250/10!)

Hack Squat Machine (155/10!) I'm sure the sled weighs something, but until I know, I'll just keep putting down the weight I added to it.

Leg Extensions (138/10!) These felt pretty easy. Plus, I tried to pause at the top of the extension to work the quads even better.

Hot Chicks: A few walked in while I was on my way out. That always seems to happen!

Gym Mysteries: I go to a power rack for squats and of course the pins are in that position that could only mean bicep curls. Anyways, I go to change the height of the hanger pins and one is missing! Rather than go on a mission to look for it, I went to the other power rack. While I was loading the weight on in the other power rack, a guy comes in with the broken hanger pin to fix it. Geez, a curl jockey breaks the pin! I was happy to see them fixing the broken pin right away though. Usually they take the "you broke it, we're not fixing it!" approach. This attitude usually shows when I use the 70 lb DBs. One is banana shaped! Anyways, I'm sure the gym knew how important it was to have two bicep curl racks! I mean, a curl jockey might have to actually deadlift 55 pounds just to get into the starting position!

Miscalaneous: This will give some people a laugh. I burnt my eyelid cooking eggs today. I go to flip the eggs with my spatula and POP!......a small part of the egg flies up and hits me. That bastard was hot and left a burn mark on my eyelid!

Calories~2950
    5-9 170

Friday September 27 2002 (Rest Day)

My upper back was a little bit sore from squats I did yesterday. Luckily it went away after a few hours. I wonder if I rounded my back or something. Of course, there are no mirrors by the power rack so I can't tell if I am or not.

Calories~2900
    5-9 170

Saturday September 24 2002 (Shoulders/Triceps)

weight=165.30

DB Press (60/8!) I went up another rep. So, I'm slowly but surely improving on this.

Lying Tricep Extensions (70/9!)

DB Laterals (25/11.5!) I went back to the 25's just because 10 pounds is too huge of a jump especially when you look at it percentagewise. It is still improvement though so I'm happy.

Smith Machine Shoulder Press (110/9!)

Tricep Pushdown (110/13!) Last week I used a new bar on this and continued with the same one this week. I'll say the big improvement was more so do to technique than strength.

Ab Crunch Machine (160/8!) I'm running out of room to put the plates, I may have switch to something else.

Hot Chicks: One girl I believe used to be in one of my classes a few years ago. She sure has went a long way. She used to be a little chubby and now has an awesome set of legs in those volleyball shorts.

Mysteries: One of the regulars that is there when I usually am used the abductor machine for at least the 3rd time in the last week.

Football: I am having almost as much fun seeing Nebraska losing as I was when Notre Dame did in the Bob Davie years. I regret not taping the game I was at today. I think I may have gotten on National TV! The cameraguy for ESPN was shooting the crowd right where I was after a touchdown.

Rant about a not to be named wbb member: This person has nothing to do with me tonight, but he is starting to bug me. This user never seems to have anything positive to say and pretty much just tears apart anything someone says if he doesn't agree. He always comes back with an ounce of constructive criticism and a pound of destructive criticism mixed in. If he really wanted to provide "constructive criticism", he could send a PRIVATE message to the person he doesn't agree with. Instead, he just rips apart anything and everything in front of everyone. What really bugs me is that he went to dig up old threads to criticize the person he didn't agree with for the entire board to see. I don't care if he is the most knowledgeable person in the world. He could at least learn how not to be a smartass and actually contribute proactively with his bodybuilding knowledge.

*********Update***********
    I noticed that the moderators must have deleted the posts I was talking about in my rant. All I have to say is, "Thank you moderators!"

Calories~2950
    Last edited by ryan1117; 09-29-2002 at 12:08 PM.
    5-9 170