The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: My Journal

how come you're going back to db's when you go back to school ?
    "It's a good weight... for a small woman." -Dorian Yates

Thursday, August 07, 2003(Legs)
    Weight =167.5

Squats (325/4!)
    These were a lot better than the set I did with 325 a few weeks back. The 4 reps were really solid and I might have been able to get another if I really wanted to push things.

1-Legged Smith Machine Calf Raises (3 plates per side / 6!)
    Coordination is still difficult when doing these one legged.

Leg Extensions (190/8.5!)
    This machine has a range of motion I don't really care for. Anyway, it is improvement.

Leg Curls(130/8!)
    The 8 reps here felt pretty easy. In fact, they felt a lot easier than the less reps I did with the same weight from last week.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one wasn't at the gym, but had some brown hair tied back with some short and tight jean shorts. She was bending over to do some yard work. I got picked off as I drove by.
    2. This one wore a sports bra and had some wavy dark brown hair tied back. She was maybe around 30-ish, but was too anorexic. She had what I call "corpse shoulders" where you lose what muscle you would naturally have in your delts even if you didn't work out. The sad thing though is that due to too many people being fat, someone like her is actually attractive even though she has passed a point where you start looking worse as you lose weight.
    4. This one had a blue tank top with some navy shorts and nice lean body mass in the legs. However she carried a decent amount of fat to go with that lean body mass. She had some wavy brown hair tied back.
    5. Miss Doll Face Karate Chick was going in as I was leaving, but she is still disqualified.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Weed Queen. She wasn't in the gym, but didn't have the significant drawbacks that the other 3 have.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. There were curls in the squat rack.

Other Stuff:
    1. I saw a really little kitten that I think was lost in a corn field today. It was a pretty small kitten (smaller than what they usually are when they can be taken away from their mother) Hopefully it can meet back up with its mother or at least know how to get by on its own. What I really hope was the reason is that it was not lost and just wanted someone to give it attention. (which seems to be the case a lot with stray animals)

The Road to College Football:
    16 days

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    clvmike19: I believe they play something like September 27th. I know it is Purdue's 4th game, which seems later than usual since it usually is the second or third for both teams. Some of the fans were talking about the possibly of College Game Day coming to town because it looks to be the only match up (as of now) between two top 25 teams that week. Someone said what I think will happen though, "That will be the week they stay in the studio"

FFeJ: I'm moving back to DBs to give myself variety in my routine and also because sometimes spotters help you too much. (which makes it tougher to gauge your progress due to differences in spots)
    5-9 170

Well I cant wait for the season to start. The Brownies play tomorrow night at 8pm in Tennessee. Thatll be cool. Whats up with the karate chick? I didnt catch her DQ. What was it for? Ever think of hooking up with that one or any at the gym?

"There is magic in the sound of their name...........Here come the Irish of Notre Dame!"
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Saturday, August 09, 2003(Push Day)
    Weight = 166.5

Bench Press (260/2.5!)
    I'm pleased with this set. I didn't hit failure on my own on the 3rd rep before the spotter jumped in, but probably wouldn't have gotten it on my own. I remember getting 250/2 when I got 270 for a max. The charts seem to underestimate my max on bench press. This set today makes me more confident in my estimated max for bench press. I think I could pull off 280 for a single since there seemed to be a 20 pound difference between my 2 rep max and my 1 rep max from before. 285 is also not out of the picture to get before I go back to school, but I'll probably end up with 280 for a max.

DB Military (60/13)
    Even though these are coming after bench press and I can't really compare them to my old DB military (which was on my first set), I can say that this keeps getting better. I know variations in rest times can alter how well I do, but I'm sure things would have evened out by now. Since my numbers keep going up, it is safe to say that I'm getting better here.

DB Laterals (30/13!)
    I probably won't go up to the 35s until I get 17 or 18 reps. Plus, I'll have to get used to different DBs which may drop my numbers slightly.

DB Incline (70/12)
    Wow! These really jumped up after pretty much staying the same all summer. I'm wondering if the creatine I started to take again may have given me better endurance. My bad endurance usually makes me weaker by the final sets.

Nautilus Abs (210/17!)
    Like other days, it has not been hard to add a rep to my previous best.

Hot Chicks:
    1. None

Gym Mysteries:
    1. None here either

Other Stuff:
    1. I got a towing part for my Jeep. I probably won't be using it, but it just added some value to my vehicle due to it having an extra option now.
    2. I'm still curious on if the creatine I started taking will add a surge to my strength like it did the first time I took it. I took it 2 years ago and had a big jump in strength over the month. It pretty much didn't really do anything after that. I quit taking it last December.

The Road to College Football:
    14 days

It's only two weeks until Grambling plays San Jose State (who cares) and Kansas State plays California. Actually, I'd like to see a non-division IA team such as Grambling beat that racist coach San Jose State has if I remember right. I'm shocked that K-State is actually playing a division 1-A team in the non conference this year since their non-conference schedule is the laughing stock of college football every year.

I'm watching that great game where Michigan played Colorado in 94 back when Colorado had Kordell Stewart. That was an awesome hail mary at the end of the game. In pro football tonight my Colts play Da Bears. I'm sure it probably won't be on TV.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    clvmike19: I noticed the Colts play the Browns on the first week of the regular season. The karate chick got the DQ because she put up a curtain when she was doing a workout on her own. That just seemed a little arrogant to me, so I'm waiting for her to prove me wrong. I don't really talk to anyone in the gym when I work out unless someone approaches me.

I have been complaining about how difficult Purdue's schedule is this year with visits to Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin, but Notre Dame may have an even harder schedule. I honestly don't think any team in college football could run the table on either schedule.
    5-9 170

Ouch. Away at the Big House, Camp Randall, and the Shoe! Im sorry man. Yeah the Brownies play your Colts. Im sure the Browns will blow it somehow They always do.

Well two more hours until Cleveland Browns Football begins again for 2003! I guess Ill watch this old Minnesota/Northwestern game on ESPN Classic. I Love Football!
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire