The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Soca King

Let's have an intelligent civil discussion

How about it people lets have an intelligent discussion on unemployment. We are all adults on this forum and at least 50% of us are either college grads looking for work or have felt the sting of unemployment before and can offer simple moral support(this might not be bodybuilding but moral support can still be appreciated).A few simple rules for this discussion though to avoid heated flame wars

1)Be civil
    2)State your opinion in a way that you are not preaching
    3)Respect other people's viewpoints
    4)Realize that what may have worked for you might not work for someone else.And that(with some exception)we do what is right for us in accordance with our values

Find a job in 10 stepsthis is a link I found a month or 2 ago.It offers 10 easy to follow job search tips that are simply logical tips for any college graduate to follow.I find it refreshing to find tips that go outside of "Go here,go there" mentality some people have and preach.Myself I'm a college grad with a degree in business managment(an 87.5% GPA which I'm very proud of since I've never had marks that high in my whole academic life) who has been bit by the bug.

The one thing that bugs me is that I'm a victim of the Catch 22 "No experience no job,no job no experience" which is an endless circle.With my Management training and Customer Service experience I couldn't even get an entry level Sales Associate position because of my "lack of experience".With what I know about training,nutrition & supplementation I couldn't even get a job at GNC.But then I see people at GNC who don't know anything except for the common knowledge of eating 6-7 meals a day & etc.Right now I volunteer 20hrs a week at a neighborhood comic store(the owner is a new friend of mine)and he's helped me alot.He doesn't preach to me about being a janitor or a burger cook at McDonalds.He tries to build up my confidence and provide me with moral support and encouragement.Which IMO is the most important thing anyone could provide someone looking for a job.

Also I read in the paper about how it's been proven that the sterotypical good looking people have an easier time getting the breaks then the average looking person,who FYI either has the same or better qualifications then the good looking person.This*pardon my language*is BS,first off who has the right to judge someone by their physical looks and second I bet the person doing the juding isn't that good looking to begin with.

What people fail to grasp is that everyone needs a chance to be able to stray away from the average broom pushing,burger flipping job to be challenged,to grow mentally as a person & to prove themselves.When I finally get to a position where I have decision power in hiring someone that'll be my philosophy "everyone needs a chance".I'll never forget this trying time in my life because I wouldn't want to share this misery with anyone.

So what you're opinions on unemployment?How much do you think it sucks.

Remember this is an intelligent adult discussion

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

too long phhhhh...

A. F.
    1)Be civil
    2)State your opinion in a way that you are not preaching
    3)Respect other people's viewpoints
    4)Realize that what may have worked for you might not work for someone else.And that(with some exception)we do what is right for us in accordance with our values

To violate your rules just because you asked us not to:

ya damm moron! get a damn job you lazy bum! go work at McDonalds or something! I don't give a rat's ass what all ya other morons think. go and apply for a stinkin job and quit complaining.

Now for the civilized part:

I'm in the same situation right now. I'm a computer technician according to my experience, however I know MUCH more. I'm a senior (according to my knowledge) network admin/tech.

But then I enter the catch 22.. I'm not settling for another computer technician job, but that is the only experience I have. To get a networking job you need networking experience, but to get experience you need experience.

I think a big problem contributing to catch 22 is the economy now. There are MANY professionals who are laid off and are applying for the same jobs me and you are, making it IMPOSSIBLE for us to compete with them. What do the employers do? Pick the pro. Why? He's desperate enough to work for the same salary as you, but is a lot more qualified for it.

At this stage I am becoming pretty desperate for a job and might even go back to a computer technician (I'm doing the same thing professionals do - settle for less). I am almost finished taking my MCSE course though (Microsoft Certified System Engineer), I'm truly hoping that it will help me break out of the loop and up into Networking.

One good way to break free of the catch22 is to volunteer for a "higher end" job or to simply start off as an intern working for free.

One thing I am planning to do (once my car is back from the shop) is hopefully get a night-time job working for **** and at the same time start off as an intern (even receptionist level) and basically butt-in everytime there is a computer/networking problem helping them out. I have the knowledge - but that's going to be the only way to show it off.. resumes with no related experience but tons of "I can's" don't do ****.

Hopefully I wasn't too boring about my story.

I am finishing my degree in BA and am worried about the market. Where did you goto school?

times like this make me realize how blessed I am to have found a job that fulfills all my requirements. especially considering the current economy.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Soca King
    Originally posted by Tryska
    times like this make me realize how blessed I am to have found a job that fulfills all my requirements. especially considering the current economy.
    Boy you are blessed in that regard aren't you

Funny that you mention the economy Tryska.Because actually I heard a story awhile ago about how Provinces in Canada weren't happy about losing college grads to the US or other Provinces.I wonder why that is?

Could it be that the US or other provinces are offering job that are more attractive to College grads.What needs to be done is that more entry level College Grad positions need to be brought in.Because everyone needs a chance to prove themselves,be challenged and grow IMO
    Last edited by Big Show; 08-20-2002 at 08:09 AM.

right now, the jobs here aren't all that attractive for grads. not in IT anyways.

like i said, i really lucked out getting the position i did. at least in ATL's market.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    You won't have all that much trouble gettin' a job if you pick a career choice that is difficult to learn and not everyone can do. There aren't THAT many unemployed neuro-surgeons out there.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Soca King

Bump

After reading some of your responses in my thread I decided to bring back this topic from a few weeks ago.

Intrestingly enough I read an article in the newspaper today entitled "Your job is not your life"(or something to that extent)in that article it totally tears apart one of the most popular pieces of advice given to unemployed people.Which is to be out dropping off resumes 8-10hrs a day 5-7 days a week.Instead they say decrease the amount of hours by 50-60% and use 3-4 days a week.And you use the rest of your time pursuing activities that mentally strengthen you and make you happy.The reason is why put all of your time into worrying about something that for the most part isn't in your control.I wish I was given advice like that back in my youth.

IMPO people like to pedle around all the easy answers like they know everything,which leads to them making negative judgements on my character which is a serious pet peeve that dates back to my days as a misunderstood teen.But I realized long ago that when it comes to your future being based partially off of an impression there will be variables in your way.

So like Joan Rovers would say "Can we talk"

A. F.
    let it die.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I think he has a perfectly legit point. Responses are in order.

Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

A. F.
    ass face.

not you big show, i was talking to the assface who replied on 09-02-2002 at 04:03 AM.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I had the same problem when I got to San Francisco. The only job I could get was in a photo lab, and that was because I was a film student and they figured I knew about color theory, film stock, etc. What crap, I knew nothing. I learned everything I know about photography from that store, and I'm a damned good photographer now if I do say so humbly.

What are you interested in? Thats the one thing we dont know. I dont know what you like. Find what you are passionate about, what you're good at, and try to see if you can get a job somewhat related to that field. If you want to become a filmmaker, apply at movie theaters, video stores, or a photo lab. If you like beef, what about a butcher shop(or the butcher in your supermarket).
    The catch 22 gets us all at one point or another, and honestly nobody ever has experience when they get their first job, all they have in interest. You just have to let your interests compell you, if you get a job somewhere where you dont like the business, you will undoubtedly be unhappy.
    There are tons of things you can do for free- volunteer work goes a long way. Do some ride alongs with the local police, maybe they can help you get into law enforcement if they take a liking to you. Get your ass out there, man. Maybe they'll let you take care of the precinct horses or something.

Is there ANYTHING you are good at? Tell us what you are good at and we can help you. I have always believed (and KNOWN) that anybody who can speak civilly can get a job.

A. F.
    here's a thought..

start off at the bottom..

i'm starting as customer service at this big pc support place.. start off with customer service and display my skills, so next time they're hiring i could get in.

A. F.
    Originally posted by Spawn_X
    here's a thought..

start off at the bottom..

i'm starting as customer service at this big pc support place.. start off with customer service and display my skills, so next time they're hiring i could get in.
    :withstupi

i agree.. very good advice there..

Soca King

In my experience

Originally posted by Big Show
    Right now I volunteer 20hrs a week at a neighborhood comic store(the owner is a new friend of mine)
    I find Customer Service places(ie retail stores)to be the biggest hypocrites alive.What they ask for is different from what they want,even nowdays I still don't have enough experience to get even a simple host or Sales Associate position which 90% of the time is someone's "First Job" because of "Lack of Experience".
    Then when I ask where to go or what to do they tell me go to "Soso place"and "Soso place" will say I lack experience.That was when I learned that no one truly has a sureshot solution to finding a job.But the 10 steps link I posted when I started this thread is the best advice I've gotten in a while
    Last edited by Big Show; 09-02-2002 at 07:58 AM.

Re: Bump

Originally posted by Big Show
    I read an article in the newspaper today entitled "Your job is not your life"(or something to that extent)in that article it totally tears apart one of the most popular pieces of advice given to unemployed people.Which is to be out dropping off resumes 8-10hrs a day 5-7 days a week.Instead they say decrease the amount of hours by 50-60% and use 3-4 days a week.And you use the rest of your time pursuing activities that mentally strengthen you and make you happy.
    I, too, am looking for a job. Well, two, actually. One for while I finish up my last year in college (this year) and one for when I have graduated and entered the real world (next year). While I could not agree more that one's job should not be their life. I do feel that when one is unemployed, looking for a job should become that person's job. Or if they are a student, it should become like a very intense class they are taking. Basically all this means is that one needs to put a lot of time and effort into it. It doesnt mean you cannot do anything else, cannot have any fun, and must seclude yourself until you find a job. Still, it has to be a serious effort, taking more than just an hour here and there throughout the week. And I truly believe that if you keep at it, keep looking for positions in as many places as you can think of to work, using various means of searching, you will find something.

A good book to read on this topic is called something like What Color Is Your Parachute? and apparently has been the career/job search manual for the past several decades. Most things in there are common sense, but that doesn't mean one will necessarily think of them on their own. You should check it out.

i hate what color is your parachute. *lol*

my mom used to try to shove that book down my thraot. i never got past chapter 1 tho. it was trooo new agey cognitive behavioral for me to deal with it.

anyways..i agree tho..looking for a job is a full time job. I know that usually when i was looking my day went something like this:

first thign int he morning:

check joblistings, email resume
    eat, wait for phone calls
    set up interviews for the afternoon or through the week, i liked to schedule 2 day at most....

repeat the next day.

i actually have neve rhad luck doing the oldfashioned mail and door-to-door thing. for the past 7 years or so i've pretty much relied on the web. it's much easier.

I thought it was an alright book (although to be honest I have only quickly breezed through the first five chapters or so...)

I actually found that I learned most of what they were saying this summer in my search for summer employment (the first time I was living on my own and supporting myself, was in a relatively unknown-to-me town with rent looming and no idea what I was gonna do for money). From that I would say there is nothing like the experience of looking for a job to teach you how to do it (though I suppose that is true for everything). Still, I found that most of the things I learned from this summer were touched on in that book, and I found myself agreeing with the advice on those topics. That's the reason I recommended it. Just jumping into the job search, being very active and your own biggest advocate will serve you just as well if not better than reading some advice manual, though.
    Last edited by Just some girl; 09-02-2002 at 08:49 AM.

yeah...my mom though it was the best book ever, so i'm presuming it prolly is pretty good, but i really just couldn't get into it at all. not focused enough to read something i'm not interested in i guess, and i never was one for those little know-yourself exercises anyways.

i went a different path to get to wher ei am today, secretarial, so that i got exposed to a lot of different industries, and eventually found an aptitidue for technology, and moved into that.

Meh, what can you do?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock