The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 180 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: HEY, why not.

Okay, I've never really kept a journal, and I'm too lazy to update it regularly, so I'm basically going to post basic stats, 4 rep maxes on my lifts, and how the training days went.

Here are my stats:

5'11.5", 179 pounds (After workout this morning. I was cutting last week, and it went too far I think), 5-6% bf

Max lifts (4-rep max):

Chest:
    BB bench: 225
    DB bench: 2x90
    BB incline: 185
    Dips: 3x20

Back:
    BB row: 135
    DB row: 80
    Pulldown: 200 lbs
    pull-ups: 3x20

Legs:
    Full squat: 225 (shaddap)
    Deadlift: 300

Shoulders:
    DB press: 2x60
    BB shrug: 225

My intake is about 2800-3200 calories, my goal being about .5-1 pound of weight gain per week. I'd like to see the squat at 265, bench at 245, and deadlift at 335 by the end of the summer.

And I'll start logging this saturday.

-out
    Last edited by Alex.V; 05-12-2002 at 06:12 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Decent day today.

Diet= almost perfect (A few cals short)

Rest last night= bleh. Didn't sleep much. I'd say about 6 hours, not what I needed after a long week of work. I'm planning on crashing in about half an hour, so....

Training today= Good!. Dumbbell benched, up one rep on each set from last week. (2x90, 1 set of 8, 3 sets of 7) Incline suffered as a result, though. No improvement there (still 185). Weight is up 1 pound since monday, give or take.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 06-11-2001 at 10:39 AM.

Kee-rist.

Yesterday was an awesome workout.

Repped out at 5x315 on the deadlift. It's so satisfying to see that bar sag from all the weight on it.... (haha... not) So that's +15....

I just realized that's only 20 pounds away from my end-of-summer goal. I don't want to overreach and end up injuring myself, but I think I can probably exceed 335 if this keeps up. I dunno, lately I'm feeling so fired up every time I hit the gym...

All other lifts for the day constant (I only tried to improve on the dead)

Diet- in order, except for some ice cream and birthday cake. Oh, and a symbolic glass of wine at midnight.

Rest- excellent (9 hours)
    Last edited by Alex.V; 12-05-2001 at 03:17 PM.

Diet- perfect

Rest- very good

Workout- intense as all hell.

highlights: DB rowing the 85s now, did two sets of 20 pull-ups, then three BRUTAL, superslow negatives. I still can't raise my arms very high. Also hit BB curl negatives HARD. Ouch.

Weight up another .5 pounds.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 06-05-2001 at 11:10 AM.

Woo.

Sleep SUCKED last night, but it didn't seem to affect me too much. *resolves to get more sleep tomorrow night*

This morning's workout was shoulders.

-BB shrug up to 235, felt easy.
    -Dumbbell presses: 65 each; not bad. Would have tried the 70s, but some twat seemed to have hidden one of them. tuttut
    -Lateral raises, still using the 35s.

Diet- perfect yesterday. Going out to a Brazilian restaurant tonight, which means tons of meat. Bleh. That'll fuxor my diet. Oh well, I'm bulking anyway. hahaha.

Chest day-

Rest= great

diet= almost perfect

Workout= awesome. Didn't go up in any lifts, but added one rep to flat bench, and felt like i was exploding with strength. Even though weight didn't go up, form improved, felt stronger overall.

Hit negative dips, 2x15, last set a negative lasting full 30 on the way down, full 30 on the way up. Ouchie.

Weight steady at 181.5

Leg day:

Deadllift went up two reps, 315x7. Time to up the weight!

All other lifts stayed the same, but intensity and strength have gone up...

Diet: Very good. Broke it a little bit with dinner; went out to Chinese.. Managed to save it by ordering a whole steamed sea bass... The damn thing came intact on a plate. Ate it; about a pound and a half of fish.... Too salty, though; I'm feeling a little dehydrated and soft.

Rest: Sucked. Decent during the weekend, but sucked last night. Just couldn't get to sleep before midnight, so only 6:45 of sleep.

Weight: 183 (prolly water retention)
    Last edited by Alex.V; 04-11-2002 at 02:45 PM.

Oh my lord, mommy's putting dbol in my dinner.

Not really, but my workout, once again, rocked.

6 (SIX!) rep maxes (NOT in the order I did the exercises, but whatever):

BB bent-over row: Up to 145 (+10)
    DB row: 90x2 (+ 10 each DB)
    Pulldowns: 210
    Finally found a belt that weights could be chained on to.
    Pull-ups: 3x8 @ 25, 1x5@35, 1 superslow @ 35
    BB curls: 3x8 @ 115

Diet: poifect!

Sleep: lousy, as always.

And that's that. Weight= 182.5

My lats are KILLING me. Ouchie.

Bleh. Cardio (5 mile run/jog, interval training style, 45 minutes total) I also did seated calf raise; I'm considering upping the volume on them to see how they respond. In the meantime, if anybody has a pair of calves they'd like to donate, I'd be most thankful.

Diet- excellent.. We had a barbeque tonight, so protein and fat was a bit higher percentage wise, but calories and meal spacing was excellent.

Sleep- GOOD! I needed it, too.

Still feeling like I got buckets of energy, I can already see that my delts, chest, and traps are filling out a bit. Nice. I got a tan, too. Therefore, i feel pretty. (If a little bloated)

Weight- 182.5

Shoulder day.

Wasn't exploding with energy, but wasn't feeling weak, either.

Barbell shrugged 250.... I blasted the headphones, got fired up, and cranked out 3 sets of 7, no problem. My grip could use help, though. (Used the hook grip; my thumbs are still fried)

Shoulder press still at the 65's, managed to churn out an extra rep in sets 2 and 3....

Everything else stayed the same.

Diet: great! Cheated a bit at dinner; ate a few too many slices of white bread with the meal, but that's okay.

Sleep: ummm.....not too much. lol.

And that's that. Still feel on a bit of an overcharged "high".... hormones must still be going nuts.

.......I won't even talk about what THAT led to. lol

5.4% bf?! You must be one ripped mofo.

yeah.. you must be awesome.. 5% bf at 180 lbs damn
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Feeling a little soft these days, though.

I'm almost 6 foot, though, so I'm not nearly as large as I thought I'd be at this point (182 lbs). Sad. Oh well. Back when I was 150, 182 seemed pretty big. lol.

The diet's working well, btw. Not much change in the measurements.

Again, great workout. Flat bench still at 225, but now for 2 work sets of 5 solid reps. Not too bad, considering how weak my chest has always been.

Used the weighted belt again; did dips. (reps @ poundage) :

9 @ 25, 9 @ 35, 9 @ 45, 4 @ 45 (failed, end of workout, triceps fried)

Still feeling great. Weight: 183

Diet= perfect (except for some ice cream cake yesterday, but whatever)

Sleep= Finally think I got enough last night.

-out

Leg again again. Upped my deadlift to 325 x 6. I think I got scary close to blacking out afterwards; I've got to concentrate on my breathing better. I'm not going to try to up the weight for the 2-3 weeks or so; Instead I'll work on upping the work sets a bit, and improving my form. I don't want to get in the habit of increasing weight for ego purposes or anything. With the amount it's gone up in the last four weeks or so, I want to give ALL my systems a chance to adjust to the increased load.

So yeah, it was an excellent workout, my legs and back are screaming, and life is good.

Diet= very decent. (Had a forkful of carrot cake at the bookstore; whatever. Everything else on target)

Sleep= it's the weekend. Is it possible to get too much??

-out

Haha.

Two consecutive posts:

"Whatever" - I like it.

"Whatever" means 95% of my training and diet are in order, so bite me.

Ehhh..... Energy levels a little low. I'm attrbuting that to not enough sleep, and the fact that I missed my alarm this morning so I really had to rush to the gym. I gulped down my nasty pre-workout shake too fast, so I felt kinda crappy the whole time.

BB bent-over row: 145 x 7 145x7 155x5

DB row: 85 x 7, 85 x 6, 90 x 6

Weighted Pullups: 10 @ 25, 10@ 35, 6@ 45, 1 superslow @ 45

DB curls: 40 x 8, 40 x 8, 45 x 7

Diet: Not bad at all. A bit too high in protein yesterday, not enough carbs. That might explain my lethargy, too.

Sleep: Ah, f*ck sleep.

Actually, looking back, most of my lifts went up today. Still, the fire wasn't there. Go figure.
    For the rest of the week, I'm going to concentrate on:

--Not increasing weight. I'm going to work on form.
    --Getting enough sleep!!!!!!

****ing Cardio (16 mile bike, interval training style, 45 minutes total) and seated calf raise. Calves definitely getting stronger, but not much larger.

Diet- Feh. Every meal in order until later in the day. We were out of cottage cheese, so my last meal of the day was screwed. I think it hurt me. My weight has actually gone down a bit since monday; I'm hoping it's glycogen depletion. I'm going to go 100% on the diet today, but unless I see a rebound tomorrow, I'm going to up the cals by 200-300.

Sleep- Nicht so schlecht.

Now I'm at the office. I think I'll take a nap.

-out

Shoulders. Great! I think I've got my energy back. Weight is up a full pound after an extra cup and a half of rice last night; muscles feeling full again. I guess I WAS just depleted.

Barbell shrug up to 255, 3 good sets of 8. I almost want to up the weight again, but I'm taking it easy. i don't want to exceed my grip or back strength.

I didn't try to increase weight on the DB OHP, but I went for good form, slower reps, and overall more intensity. I'm still feeling an excellent pump all around my shoulder girdle. Yeah baby.

All other lifts the same.

Diet- Perfect. About 60 extra grams of carbs yesterday, though. I may just stick with this; I have a feeling my metabolism is working a lot faster, and my body is under a lot more stress because of the greater weight I'm throwing around.

Sleep- 8 uninterrupted hours. Good.

hrmm..... Just reading the posts under training about push-presses. I'm considering switching those up in my routine; maybe mess around with shoulder day and put those in. I'd have to check my "muscles worked" chart to make sure it won't screw up any recovery times....

If anybody's reading this...got any thoughts? Push-presses instead of DB OHP?

I prefer DB presses Belial.
    ...it's more friendly for trainers to say, "yeah, we can help you tone up!" rather than saying, "yeah, we can help you get rid of that fat ass!"

Anthony

I'm reading it...and i say go for it...it doesn't really hurt to vary once in a while, and they look like fun.

but i'm no expert.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

hrmm. Yah, I suppose the muscles are worked differently, but I'm wondering if there's any value to using them, maybe by reducing the volume of other lifts, or even loosely periodizing with explosive/more olympic style lifts. (A week of push presses, power cleans, snatches, overhead squats, and speed benching would pretty much kick my arse, and might be a good bit of fun, too)

I dunno, I appreciate the opinions.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 06-21-2001 at 02:20 PM.

exactly...variety is the spice of life...and so is a good a$$-kickin. or at least that's what my mom said..prior to kickin' my a$$. anyway the fact that you are interested in changing up or adding to, in my opinion, signals a time for a change. even if it is just for a week or two.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?