Thread: Ncaa

Ncaa

A friend of mine after numerous doubts and past turndowns has finally accepted an offer to play for an NCAA basketball team.

Can somebody tell me some things about the Delaware team?

They were 14-16 last year. Not a good team. But he should be happy he is playing college ball.
    "Do what you got to do. Walk through a place like you F'in own it. If people don't like it, F them, you'll get over it."

I`m sure he is.
    and im sure hell be a good addition.
    ive played some games with him theres no touching him.
    hes about 6"10 too, and very serious about learning about the tactics and techniques etc.

Dead Sexy Member
    My friend goes there.

Amazing party school

what school aint?
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

lol mine. my HS
    most colleges and unis are the **** party wise tho

Dead Sexy Member
    Trust me.

This is a party school

Dead Sexy Member
    Not to take anything away from your friend, but he's in for a harsh shock when he starts facing players consistently his height and taller and prob. stronger.

i bet. hes pretty built tho. heavy mofo.

Dead Sexy Member
    I wish him the best

Dead Sexy Member
    Have you played against or with him??

against. just on courts outside around town.
    talked to him today again. hes cool. he used to be kinda cocky on me now hes cool

Dead Sexy Member
    cool.

Originally posted by zwarrior99
    what school aint?
    Where I went....FIU
    "Do what you got to do. Walk through a place like you F'in own it. If people don't like it, F them, you'll get over it."

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    Western ain't a party school...... oh wait, no, its the biggest party school in Canada.. Every university i have ever visited has had wild parties though, just depends on the crown you roll with
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Dead Sexy Member
    Western sucks monkey balls.

Here you go Reinier...hope this isn't too long.

2001-2002 Delaware Men's Basketball Outlook

A year ago, Delaware faced one of its toughest challenges before the season even started.

In mid-July, Mike Brey, who had taken the Blue Hens to three consecutive postseason tournaments, left to become the head coach at Notre Dame. In his place, David Henderson came in to put his stamp on the program.

Henderson came to town to find that he wasn't the only one who didn't recognize players without a scorecard. The Blue Hens had lost seven players from the team that reached the NIT in 2000 and had made consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances before that.

That didn't phase the rookie head coach and his troops, however. Henderson spoke of improvement as the season went along, moving towards a late-season peak. His words rang true when the Blue Hens finished 20-10 overall, falling to Hofstra in the America East title game. Delaware, which was reportedly on the board very late but missed out on a second-consecutive NIT bid, was competitive in every game throughout the season... just as their coach promised would be the trademark of his teams. From the very start, that promise was carried out when the Blue Hens lost to Temple and Basketball Hall of Fame Inductee John Chaney by seven in Philadelphia in the Pre-Season NIT.

Delaware traveled to George Mason two weeks later and lost by the same margin &endash; a team that put quite the scare into Maryland a little more than three months later in the NCAA Tournament.

Delaware went to Hofstra a week after that and snapped the Pride's 26-game homecourt winning streak &endash; the third-longest in Division I at the time &endash; and ruined the Pride's home opener.

A month later, the Blue Hens found themselves deep in the heart of Dixie battling with the College of Charleston. In a building in which John Kresse's Cougars have lost in just nine times in the last 11 seasons, Delaware found itself up by 11 in the second half, only to fall in overtime.

In their very next outing, Delaware bused through 12 inches of snow to Philadelphia to face the St. Joseph's Hawks &endash; a team flirting with the Top 25 at the time. Delaware hung with the Hawks throughout, only to fall by five.

Then came that peak as promised. Delaware went 15-3 after January 1 &endash; one of the best in the nation the last two months of the regular season. Nothing seemed to stand in its way after annihilating Northeastern, 110-66, in the America East Tournament's semifinals.

However, a stellar defensive effort and late surge by Hofstra pushed the Pride past Delaware in the America East title game, 68-54, to end the Blue Hens' season at 20-10.

Not bad for a rookie coach and a team no one knew.

So how is it that Delaware's challenge could be just as tough in 2001-02?

Three letters... C &endash; A &endash; A.

Add in the facr that David Henderson's roster has no seniors and there is a reason for cautious optimism.

"The biggest thing for me is that when I came to UD a year ago, I knew that we were going to move to the CAA, but it was scheduled to be after two more years in America East," said Henderson." Then, mid-season last year it became one more year of America East. After the season was over, though, the timetable moved up again and put us into the league right away. Therefore, from a recruiting standpoint, there wasn't any time to plan for the move and recruit accordingly.

"It is a great move for the University from a long-term look because it aligns us with great schools and it is a great move for the basketball program because it brings us into a great league," Henderson added. "In the long run, all of our athletic programs will benefit from this move.

"Looking at the league this season, UNC Wilmington and George Mason are established as strong teams year-in and year-out. In addition, James Madison and Virginia Commonwealth have a lot returning from last season. JMU's record from last year does not indicate how good they are because of injuries they suffered. I think we fit in the middle of the pack, along with Hofstra. I think we will be competitive, though.

"The biggest adjustment for us will be having to get used to playing strong teams every night. There are no breathers in this league. You have to go out and play at a high level in every game."

The good news for Henderson is that eight of his letterwinners return. The 10-man rotation that he used last season will come in handy this season as seven of those letterwinners played in at least 90 percent of last year's games (27 of 30).

"We lost our two leading scorers in Ajmal [Basit] and Billy [Wells] and our leading shot blocker and rebounder [Basit]. We'll have to fill some spaces, but we have game experience with those people that we'll call on to fill the void.

"We'll be a very different team than we were a year ago," said Henderson. "Our team speed has increased which will allow us to extend the defense more than we did a year ago."

In the backcourt, Delaware will feature a variety of players with a wide-range of styles. There will be slashers, penetrators and standstill long-range shooters. Pick your poison &endash; it'll be in a Blue Hen uniform.

Junior Austen Rowland returns to run the offense. Rowland is the Blue Hens' returning leading scorer (11.6 ppg), scoring in double-figures in 16 of the 29 games he played. Last season, Rowland ranked among the league leaders in America East in three-point field goal percentage (36.1%, 12th), assists per game (4.5, 4th) and assist/turnover ratio (2.17, 2nd). In addition, he became just the seventh player at UD to record 50 or more three-pointers in a season.

Freshman Mike Slattery will step in to fill some of the void left by Wells' graduation. The 6-0 native of Wildwood, NJ was the InterAC league Most Valuable Player and an all-state selection at Germantown Academy [PA], which finished the season ranked No. 16 in the USA Today Super 25.

"Mike will assume some ball-handling responsibilities," said Henderson. "We knew that we were losing Billy and that was what Mike was recruited for. Having him will allow us to push the ball. Last year, when Billy ran the point, we became a little more of a control team.

"Defensively, we want to be able to pressure the ball more. With Austen getting stronger and Mike in the line-up, it really helps our defense."

Ryan Iversen and Mike Ames, a pair of sharpshooters from the outside, return to the lineup. Iversen, a junior from Eden Prarie, MN, spent his first season in a Blue Hen uniform last year as the first man off the bench. The former University of Minnesota football player appeared in all 30 games with just one start. However, he was still managed to finish among the America East leaders in steals (1.8, 4th), three-point field goal percentage (.390, 6th) and assist/turnover ratio (1.76, 6th).

He tied for team lead in steals with 53, making him the 12th player in UD history to record 50 or more steals in a season. He also set a UD rookie mark for three-pointers in a season with 46, including a string of 11-straight games with at least one three-point field goal. He scored in double-figures in 11 games.

"Ryan is one of our top returners," said Henderson. "After being our sixth man last year, he could very well step into a starting role. He is an excellent scorer, but can also rebound very well.

"We will also look to Ryan to be a leader on this team. We don't have any seniors this year and he has a personality that we think will allow him to step up and be one of the leader's in the locker room."

Ames, a freshman from Phoenixville, PA, had a solid freshman season. Over the last five games, Ames hit 11 of 18 shots from the field. In addition, he had five points in the final 30 seconds of Delaware's 88-85 win at Vermont in January, proving that he isn't shy in the clutch.

He finished the season 19-for-47 from three-point range (40.4%) and averaged 4.1 ppg.

"Mike grew the most of the freshmen," said Henderson. "He doesn't make mistakes with the basketball and just gives you solid play all of the time. He gained a lot of confidence as the season went on."

Two more new additions will be redshirt freshman David Lunn and junior Vohn Hunter. Lunn missed all of last season after surgery for a recurring shoulder problem. The 6-4 native of Baltimore, MD might be the most athletic of the Blue Hens.

"David brings a toughness to the floor," said Henderson. "He is a hard-nosed defensive player and a slasher offensively &endash; which we were missing a year ago."

Hunter comes to Delaware after a two-year stint at Champlain CC in Burlington, VT. The 6-5, 230 lbs. Hunter was third-team NJCAA All-American last year, averaging 25.6 ppg and connecting on 117 of 298 from three-point range (39.3%) last year. The native of Bronx, NY scored 30 points or more eight times and topped the 40-point mark twice.

"Vohn is a great player, there is no doubt about that," said Henderson. "He will give us an instant shot in the arm. He does more than play the game, though. From what I have seen of him, he is the kind of person you want in your locker room. He is a mature person on and off the court and handles himself very well."

Delaware will also have a pair of "tweeners" &endash; guys that will play out on the wing or down on the low block.

Robin Wentt, who made his debut a year ago, will be joined by freshman Calvin Smith.

Smith, a 6-5 native of Norfolk, VA, is much in the mold of Wentt. With some size and a lot of quickness, he can play inside or out.

"Calvin, like Robin, can play a 3-spot or the 4-man," said Henderson. He has great low block moves, where he played in high school. Although he gives some up in bulk, he makes up a lot in quickness."

Wentt's return comes with a complication, however. The 6-7 native of Silver Spring, MD failed to meet NCAA academic standards as a freshman and will not be academically eligible until December.

"Robin took on too much of a class load in the spring and had trouble balancing that with basketball. He fell short academically and realizes his mistake. Robin is a bright kid who just tried to do too much. He has accepted it and has spent the summer recommitting himself to his academics. Robin Wentt will be a part of this program once again in the very near future."

Wentt appeared in 28 games last year, shooting 52.5% from the field and averaging 3.0 ppg.

The remainder of the frontcourt will look to make-up for Basit's graduation by committee. Maurice Sessoms started all 31 games opposite Basit last year and returns to the line-up, as do last year's reserves Sean Knitter and David Hindenlang. In addition, the Blue Hens have also acquired 7-0 Ioannis Xenakis [pronounced YAHN-is KUH-KNOCK-is].

Sessoms averaged 7.0 ppg and 4.2 rpg last year &endash; his first as a Blue Hen after transferring from Wisconsin two years ago. He also shot 55.5% from the field. However, the junior from Teaneck, NJ showed signs of rust last season, partly the effects from a wrist injury 18 months earlier.

"Mo has worked hard in the off-season. I think he is ready to step up and shoulder some of the burden caused by Ajmal's graduation."

Hindenlang, a junior from Johnstown, PA, made great strides last year. After playing just 36 minutes in his freshman season, Hindenlang became a key reserve for the Blue Hens a year ago. He appeared in 29 games and averaged 1.6 ppg and 2.3 rpg.

Knitter missed all of pre-season workouts and the first two games of the regular season after breaking a bone in his foot during the summer. The 6-8 native of Philadelphia, PA improved as the season went on and will be counted on heavily for his sophomore year.

Knitter averaged 3.3 ppg and 1.6 rpg in 28 appearance as a freshman.

"Sean came along throughout the season," said Henderson. "The injury set him back early on. However, he learned how to play the game at both ends of the floor, particularly on defense. He didn't have to be as concerned with his defense in high school because of his size. As last year went on, Sean became a more complete player."

Xenakis comes to Delaware with junior eligibility after a one-year stint at Manatee CC in Florida. Last year, Xenakis averaged 10.5 ppg, 5.3 rpg and 1.7 bpg at Manatee.

"You can't teach size," said Henderson. "He's learning more and more each day he plays and I think he can be an asset to this program."

In addition, the Blue Hens gain the services of another redshirt freshman who missed last year with an injury. Seton Hall Prep product Mark Curry, a 6-5 forward who some see in the mold of former UD standout and leading career scorer Mike Pegues, missed all of last season after tearing the achilles tendon in his left leg during a pre-season conditioning workout October 10 - only a few days before the opening of practice.

"Mark is very much like Pegues was, but I think he is more athletic," said Henderson. "He's fully recovered from the injury and will be a great addition to the frontcourt."

Local product Anthony Thomas also returns to the squad. Thomas, a 6-4 sophomore from Concord HS, made the team as a walk-on in pre-season last year.

Henderson would like to stick with a nine or 10-man rotation this season &endash; much like fans saw last year.

"I like to play as many guys as I can comfortably," said Henderson. "Players don't always have a great night. Not everyone is knocking down his shot every night. Last year, we had different guys step up at different times. Ames did that in Vermont, Knitter did that once or twice to give us a spark and so did Iversen and Wentt.

"Because of the regular-game experience you give them in playing nine or 10 guys, you can turn to them when they have the hotter hand over someone else."

The Blue Hens open the season on one of the longer road trips a team can take. Delaware will head to Fairbanks, AK for the BP Top of the World Classic. The Blue Hens open the tournament against Wichita State and face either Radford or Butler in the second round of the eight-team tournament.

"The tournament presents a great challenge for a young club early in the season," said Henderson. "It will give us a great deal of experience competing against a quality group of teams.

"It is also a great challenge for a young coach like me to get a team ready to play games four timezones away and then come back to play a pair of home games. We come home and see LaSalle and St. Joseph's &endash; certainly not cupcakes when we get back.

"In addition, though, it is also a great experience for our student-athletes to see Alaska. That is something that very few people get to do in life and it will be something that they will all remember."
    peace-

Craig