The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Showering or sitting in cold water after workout.

I just have a quick question,

someone in the past once told me that if after a workout you shower with really cold water and or sit in a tub with cold water for about 15 minutes, it will help your muscles recover faster and/or help tighten the skin around your muscles..

Does this have any basis of truth??
    Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Well your nads certainly will tighten up...

well massaging the muscle after working out does speed up recovery. And this might work if it is done imediately after cause it helps remove cortisol faster.
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

can't say I know how cold will affect recovery... I can speculate that it will tighten your skin of course and lower the blood flow to your limbs (when the body is exposed to lots of cold it trys to keep all the blood in your torso so as to keep your core temp from dropping... )

However, in Supertraining, there was a section about the use of cold for increasing efficiency of energy output/strength... this is how the study was done... The subjects warmed up as normal... started doing the work sets but inbetween the sets, bags of cold water and ice were placed on their bare chest/body for like 30-45 seconds... this shocks the body into thinking its in a survival situation and increases adrenaline and what not... it also feels good The key however would be to use it only just enough to get the desired results, you do not want to lower your blood flow in your limbs too much... therefore keep the times under "ice" to around 15-30 secs IMO... lol ive never tried this, but its amazing how the body works.

disclaimer : i paraphrased the info from that book, sorry if it is not exactly what was stated... however what I said is the basic concept.
    Last edited by nightop; 08-23-2002 at 09:02 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the info nighttop
    it was interesting...and yes it is certainly interesting how the body works

cold water will cause skeletal muscle, capilaries etc to contract and in doing so can help flush lactic acid from muscle tissue.

lactic acid thats the word i ment.. upps my bad..
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

very intresting, think i will have a cold shower post workout.

oh & Is it cold in here or just me?
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Brock Lesnar, an NCAA champion amateur wrestler (currently among Vince McMahon's numbers) is a big advocate of taking an ice bath after his workouts. His natural stats (given that NCAA steroid testing is true and accurate) had him standing 6'3 and weighing a cool 275.

A. F.
    Any way to reach the "icing" effect without carrying bags of ice? Besides sitting in the fridge.. something practical i could do at the gym.. (I'd bring ice - but they don't allow gymbags in the free-weights room).

Also - why do they have a sauna at the gym instead of a "fridge"? Seems that the cold would have more positive effect...???

Ice baths are overrated. It used to be a big thing in Football in the 70s, but deep tissue massage is far more effective in assisting recovery times.

Wannabebig Member
    Well honestly i would get my self a post workout deep tissue massage...but dang...that cost a lot of money...i would rather stick to free(close to free) ice cubes...
    Seems to be cheaper

In terms of recovery... i would have to agree that a deep tissue massage is MUCH better... also active rest work with loads under 30% of max (such as doing a set of 10 calf raises with your own body weight to reduce DOMS from a previous calf workout) is very effective... I can't really say that the ice bath post workout is THAT beneficial.

In regards to the practicle application and reasoning behind these recovery methods and the subject of using cold/ice to shock the body between sets (not for recovery, but for increased output/adrenaline).... I would say that for most of us, one need not place too much emphasis on such methods... I know for myself, the mental motivation and proper execution of form, intensity, concentration, and ideal timing/rest during my training is MUCH more important than tricks such as cold shocking between sets or active recovery workouts or ice baths or jumping around like a monkey (wait a minute.... )..

First get the exercise basics, learn the physiology, execution, and mental control... focus your energy on the routine at hand and then if you really really need to do supplemental work such as the things being discussed, then by all means use them... but IMO most of us aren't quite there yet... For example, the ice shocking between sets.... if you aren't at your maximum neural effeciency (and/or very good fiber recruitment,etc..) of a given movement or are at a sticking point where your training and rest can't seem to handle, then there is no need to start carrying ice bags to the gym...

But if you just want to try it for giggles, then you could use cold packs (the blue things you put in your freezer) and take them instead of bags of ice water....

all of this is just IMO.. some of it i've read.. some of it i've just picked up.. who knows maybe ice baths are the secret key
    Last edited by nightop; 08-24-2002 at 12:20 AM.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I have my girlfriend give me a massage after I get out of the gym. Works for me. Besides I hate cold baths/pools/water. Makes my balls turn inside out

Originally posted by Accipiter
    I have my girlfriend give me a massage after I get out of the gym. Works for me. Besides I hate cold baths/pools/water. Makes my balls turn inside out
    Does your girlfriend's massage make your balls turn inside out or is it the icewater?

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    both. but for different reasons...

BAZING!

**** I hope she never reads this forum