The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Interrupted while doing deadlifts by a curl jockey!!!

Last month, I remember I was on my 3rd set on deadlifts doing 315 and put it back on a deadlift rack, a bar that makes changing plates a little easier. I than went to drink some water because deadlifts take a lot out of you. 2 minutes later, I see all my plates on the floor, and replaced with 5 pound plates on each side with a curl jockey doing some barbell curls. I than approached Curl Jockey and asked, "Did you see that I was using this for deadlifts?" after he did his BB curl warmup set. Curl Jockey just said, "You left and someone is already using the squat rack for squats so I am using your rack for some BB curls since it wasn't being used for the past couple of minutes. Besides, I only have 4 more sets so you can wait!" If I wasn't in a good mood, I would of grabbed a 45 plate from the floor and threw it at him. Instead, I grabbed my 6 plates from the ground in a calm fashion, and proceeded to put 8 plates back on another olympia bar I grabbed from the flat bench. I was suprised that a bar was free because mondays are usually chest days. I setup my 405 deadlifts only 2 feet away from where curl jockey was doing his BB curls. I never did 405 deadlifts for reps because I knew my max was 405. With all the anger released on the weights, I deadlifted 405 with good form for 4 reps while keeping eye contact with curl jockey. I can tell curl jockey felt intimidated because he finished his 2nd set early and left the gym early after doing one exercise. I really wanted to thank him for the motivation he gave me, but he was no where to be found. After that, I never saw curl jockey again. Did I approach this situation the wrong way? On the bright side, I took out my anger on the weights and not on curl jockey. I am just curious on what other people might do in this situation.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There was this really huge guy in the gym today dancing and singing to himself, flailing about with headphones on right in front of the dumbell rack while I was trying to make my meanest face on my heaviest set of curls. I am just curious on what other people might do in THIS situation.

Wannabebig Member
    Couldn't you just bring a bottle of water with you to the rack?

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    You should have thrown the 405 lbs bar on the curl jockey. Don't miss him.

Or you could have left your towel on the bar. Or you could have urinated on the bar.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    After he finished his set of 55 lb curls, you should have loaded 405 right onto that bar. You were there first and he is just a waste-of-space, half-a-fag curl jockey.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by Magnus Musculus

Or you could have left your towel on the bar. Or you could have urinated on the bar.
    I like the last one. Actually, maybe you shoulda urinated on HIM. Been like "I own you". Then, when he ran off to get the manager, you coulda finished your set.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

You were being more than diplomatic quads, I might have gone home with a momento of "curljockey's" ignorance myself. Kudos, bro.

Originally posted by Magnus Musculus

You got a point. I should of brought a towel and throw it on the bar with the words, "Reserved For a Hardcore MOFO" sewn into the towel and than pee on the towel marking my territory.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    You handled it fine. Everyone pays the same amount of money a month to use the gym, so don't act as if you own part of it. If you left a rack unattended for minutes, I don't see the problem. A lot of times at my gym folks will just walk away without racking their weights, perhaps he thought that's what you were doing.

The curl kid could have politely asked if you wanted to work in, however inconvenient that would have been, but that's in the past. You handled the situation the way you should have. It's not worth fighting over, and you got your reps in anyways. Good lifts, as well.