Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Squats! I love 'em!

Front Squats! I love 'em!

Just about all I've been doing lately is front squats, and I absolutely love them. I feel like I've definately put on some size from them. I suggest if you haven't tried them, that you do so. ATF front squats are the **** !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Hey, I already commented in your journal! Anyway, lookin good.

Banned
    how tall are you?
    Last edited by jugheadkills; 08-25-2002 at 07:54 PM.

Jesus christ you're big. And I agree. Front squats are the shizz.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

huge -
    what do you like so much about those front squats ?

I'm 5'10. I love the range of motion, it's as if I'm sitting down on a chair. Quite similar to zerchers, although muuuch more comfortable for me. It's really easy to go ATF and avoid leaning too far forward. I also feel like when I'm in control there's less strain on my lower back.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

You know, I must be an odd-ball here (concerning squats, not in the usual fashion). I can't do front squats to save my life. In fact, I'll go as far as to say I hate the bastards.

However, I'm absolutely in love with the overhead squat. Its fluid, natural, and I have zero problems reaching the bottom. In fact, I can go lower more comfortably with OH squats than with an ATF back squat.

Go figure.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Overhead squats are nice, just a little uncomfortable on my shoulders at time, and can't exactly put up the weight I want. Although weight isn't always everything.

Tell me about it-- I have trouble giving those a run with 135; but damn do they do wonders for balance and the rotators.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

quick question

what does ATF stand for? how do you perform a OH squat aswell?
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

ATF = Ass to the Floor. Its a narrow-stance, high-bar squat performed until your thighs touch your calves, ie, "ass on the floor."

An overhead squat is basically the top position of a snatch, with a wide grip on the bar which is held overhead. You then squat with the bar in that position. Its not an easy move to learn, and its even harder to get used to them with significant weight.

BCC, what's the difference between a front squat and a Zercher squat? I looked in your journal. 315 for front squats, and then 315 for ATF squats later in the same workout. Very impressive. I take it that you can back squat considerably more than 315 if you do them first.

Someone, ATF = Ass To Floor. Wayyyyy below parallel.

BCC...I'm right there with you man, I love front squats going ATF !

I usually warm-up my quads with some light hack squats, then do 2 sets of 10 reps using a tempo of 1-3-1-2. Then finish them off with one set of 20 reps back squats going ATF...

Originally posted by Delphi
    BCC, what's the difference between a front squat and a Zercher squat? I looked in your journal. 315 for front squats, and then 315 for ATF squats later in the same workout. Very impressive. I take it that you can back squat considerably more than 315 if you do them first.

Someone, ATF = Ass To Floor. Wayyyyy below parallel.
    With a zercher squats, you have your arms in a curled position and the bar rests in your elbows. But with the front squat, the bar rests on your collar bones and delts at the front.

Don't give up on your legs, they will come with time...

I like front squat too alot, I alternate from time to time between them and normal squats
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

How do you guys do front squats? I have never been able to do with without some kind of extreme discomfort. Do you just cross your arms in front of your body or what?

I get the bar resting to wear it on my throat touching my collar bones, and also resting inside my front delt, then I just put my arms out and cross them over the bar.

I think I have heard a few times that a clean grip (grip at the top of a power clean) is the best way to go for holding a lot of weight for front squats. Anyone tried this way?

Do you feel it more in your quads than regular squats BCC?

Yeah, i feel it in my quads more. I personally don't think the clean grip is the best for heavy weights, it absolutely kills my wrists. My partner does 455 the way I do them, and holds it fine. I like the way I do them best.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    I'm 5'10. I love the range of motion, it's as if I'm sitting down on a chair. I also feel like when I'm in control there's less strain on my lower back.
    :withstupi

though I like the clean grip...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

My whole problem with front squats are:

1) I'd have to drop back so much on the weight I do for regular squats that I am hesitant to get started with them
    2) I've never felt comfortable with either a cross over grip or clean grip.

I'd love to incorporate them into my leg day......but so far just been reluctant to do so. If they do put mass on the quads like alot of folks swear they do....I guess I need to just start somewhere and hope to get better at them.

sigh.....
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Grasshoppa
    You have to start somewhere. Dropping back the weight isn't bad as long as you are still hitting your legs pretty hard.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Yeah, when I started doing them consistently 2 months ago, I had dropped back to the point whre 185 was a struggle for 6 reps. But once I found the niche in my shoulders and got the form down, then the weight came. You can't expect an exercise to work the first time. Squats and front squats are something that need to be practiced to be good at, just as anything else in life.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I'm trying to learn it right now

I do my first warmup set as a front squat with the clean grip and then switch to back squats

I think I'm going to get the front squat version of the Manta Ray

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------