The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Another PR!

Another PR!

I hope to have a new PR every M.E. workout, and usually do. I won't bore you guys with every one of them, but this one was significant so I will bore you with this one.

I hit a 565 shirt/2board press. For those who are not familiar, this is a bench press where the stroke is shortened by putting 2 two by six's on your chest and bringing the bar down and pausing on the boards rather than the chest. I was wearing my Karin's double denim shirt when I did it.

Best I had done on this exercise previously was a 539 (kilo plates) so I was pretty excited about this PR. 26 lb PR's don't come along just every day. I also had an extremely close miss at 585 off the 2 board as well. I needed a little bump to get off the board but locked it out strong.

Hope everyone's training is coming along well. I have a meet on Sept. 14th and everything seems to be going very well, and just wanted to share.

B.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Impressive, what kind of weight do you throw up on your speed day?

relatively light weights on speed day. Using Halbert math, I do 9 sets of 3 with 240, 250, 260 changing every 3 reps. Halbert math is to combine the bar weight plus the band tension. I use 75 lbs of band tension at the top.

After the warmups, then 9 sets of 3, I added weight and did a few singles. Worked up to a close grip of 375ish (can't remember for sure) but it is only suggested to do this once every 3 or 4 weeks, changing grips each time.

I tape all my workouts to critique form. I also run a stop watch on all my speed work to make sure I am continually getting faster. I think I was averaging about 2.7 seconds for 3 reps with the above weights, Maybe 2.8, but I know it was no slower than that.

When I get all reps under 2.5 I will move up in weight, but not before then. If you are not getting all 3 reps in under 3 seconds, then the weight is too heavy, I don't care what percentage you are working off of.

Hope that helps some. It took me a long time to figure that one out, and I had to listen to stronger smarter people to get it figured out, cause I am too hard headed to get it on my own.

B.

damn man! Those are numbers Date Tate throws up. Awesome man!! Most impressive!!

props!
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Thanks guys. Not quite to Dave's level yet. He has just recently done 600 in a meet. On a good day, I can probably do 550 right now in a meet. Will find out on September 14th.

I appreciate all the props.

Anyone else hit any PR's recently?

B.

got up for 50lbs DB press to 65lbs DB press in sort of a short time. Also from 40KG DL to 90KG but that's because I'm a beginner.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Awesome B!

I was supposed to be doing a "light" ME day on Sunday and did bodyweight bench for 15 reps(I suck at reps, lol). I followed tat with reverse grip 3-boards like you were talking about. I loved em. I even worked up to a single@ 240 and my best ever with a normal grip is 255. My strength with both grips is very close.

Is the 75 lbs band tension with a mini doubled around a dumbell on each side? That's what I use and I wasn't sure about the tension. I've heard all different numbers.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

That was a doubled mini around the base of my power rack. I stacked boxes and boards and put a bathroom scale on top of that then placed the bar on top of the scale at the height of my lockout to measure, take the measurement, then take away 45 for the bar, and you are there.

I have heard 65 to 80 on the doubled minis, I no longer have to estimate. One pair of doubled minis is 75, two pairs is one fitty, and so forth.

I also do floor presses with the minis, I double them, then run them around the base one extra loop before going over the bar, and I get 115 lbs of tension at the top with this setup.

The height of your bench, how long your arms are, and how you attach the bands are all factors in what the tension will be at lockout. But mine is 75, and 75's are easy to add, so just call it 75 and go with that.

B.

Oh, I suck at reps too. Don't sweat it, just don't ever get into get into a bodyweight for reps bench contest.

B.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Good explanation.

And very true. Guys who weigh as little as I do would probably be doing about 40+ reps with bodyweight.

Hopefully the Fury will help out my 1RM strength. We'll see in the next few weeks hopefully if Titan is on the ball.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

nice PR Benchmonster, thats very impressive.
    i also suck @ reps but not to long i db benched the 50s for 19 reps.
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1