Thread: Getting started with Front Squats

Getting started with Front Squats

OK, I've never done front squats before. I was thinking about putting them in my leg routine for a while (bumping hack squats).

I was wondering if it would/could be a good idea to start out doing front squats on the Smith Machine until I got the form down and felt comfortable doing these? For the record, I have never done my regular squats on a Smith Machine....I just use a power rack.

If possible, please give an explaination why you say yes or no.

Thanks.

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    Im in the same vote, I'll be interested in opinions.
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    I'd say probably not a good idea, for the same reasons that have been given for not doing back squats on the Smith. Depending on your build/mechanics, the bar might not naturally track in a straight vertical line which the Smith forces you into.

Just put the ego aside, grab the Olympic bar and practice with grip and form for awhile before you start piling on the weight. The time/training invested here will pay off big time...most people try to do a new exercise with too much weight and then wonder why it is hard/uncomfortable/painful.

I think you'll like doing them once you get used to it!

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Definetly ! front squats kick some major a$$...

since your a veteran in the gym and to back squats forget about using the Smith and jump straight into using a bb.

It is basically the same movement as the hack but it uses WAY more stabilizers. I would also recommend this for anyone with low back problems who suffer from major discomfort while doing back squats.

Hack Squat - Sled

Front Squat - BB

I wouldn't use the smith machine for squats.Too fixed of a position.Until you get your form down, you could use front squats as a warm-up for your back squats.Because of the upright posture required, as well as the act of balancing the bar on your front delts and the need for flexible wrists, this exercise can take you a while to master.Don't rush the weight.
    "I figure, f*ck it.While I'm at it, why not just shoot my buddy.Take his job.Give it to his sworn enemy.Hike up gas prices.Bomb a village.Club a baby seal.Hit the hash pipe and join the national guard.I could be elected president."

They are so difficult to get used to. I plan on picking a day and just trying them aside from any other workout. I wear myself down pretty quick in my attempts.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    See if you can find someone knowledgeable/experienced to help you with your form. I had good instruction and by the second time I did them, they felt really good. It helps having someone who can watch you/critique/make suggestions.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I agree with everyone else. Front squats aren't meant to be done in the Smith machine.......their true benefit comes from performing them free weight. Like any complicated movement, they'll take time to get used to.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Front Sguats rock!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

I agree, I only started doing front squats a week ago, I think it puts much more strain on the legs.
    I dont know if i have injured my self, but my hip feels sore when i sit down sometimes. I think i have to practise technique on the front squats
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Well, I've decided to go ahead and do them with regular barbell and do them right before doing my regular squats. Then I'll do a couple sets of hack squats with feet together if I'm up to it. May not do any leg extensions.....but I'll see how it goes. Then I'll do some leg curls for my hamstrings or some SLDL's.

Thanks for the replies. I think I already knew what the answers would be.....but just wanted clarification.

After a while you may not need to do leg extensions.

IMO front squats hit the Vastus Medialis more effectively than leg extensions...

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    Never thought that the smith machine may not be good for form, or my back.
    I too have lower back problems sometimes... being 6'4" etc

Thanks for the post Bennet... Im gonna get into the front squats too....
    and IceRgrrl- putting that ego aside may be difficult
    hehe but necessary for squats I think

Thanks all
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

Had my first very successful run at front squats last night. No lower back pain...it's amazing!

Stay away from the damn smith machine. These things are injury makers in disguise. The gym I work out at has a line of rookies around the corner actually waiting to use this torture device. Makes for some good entertainment while I'm in the power rack.

I had my first run at lunch today with front squats. Only worked my way up to 155 lbs. I did 135 x 10, 155 x 10, 155 x 6.

Unlike galileo, I did seem to find my lower back stressed more. BUT, I did deadlifts on Saturday and this might have been part of the problem.

I think my form was good though. I kept my feet about 8 inches apart and went very deep....almost ATF. I liked them and feel I will get better with my form as I go along.

Oh, and I definitely felt it in my lower, front quads more than I do when I perform back squats.