The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

weight lifting belt for bench press

Do you need a lifting belts for max effort lifts on the bench press? I have seen power lifters using lifting belts for 1rm benches. Is this necessary and what does the belt do to help with the lift? I thought that lifting belts were only for heavy overhead presses, squats and deadlifts.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the belt is usless for the bench press, it shoudl only be used for excercises that have your back upright, ie squats /deadlifts..even then i think the belt is more of a hazard than anything..it causes your lower back to become a weak area if used to extensively..but thats just my opinion.

They have yet to talk me into using a belt for squatting or Olympic pressing; it'll be a cold day in hell before I use one on the bench press, for God's sake.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    This is sort of off topic but I always used a belt on squats and deads. After looking through some old threads and seeing what people said, I decided not to today. Without the belt, my deads and squats both felt much better, and I was able to increase poundage in both of them. My lower back did not bother me at all.

Therefore, now I really don't think a belt is necessary for anything, but especially not for bench press

-Justin

A. F.
    equinox - perhaps it has effect long term ?

just asking.

i dont bother with a belt on any lifts, just focus on my form

i would on maxes though

Try to avoid using a belt whenever possible. It is probably the most over-used piece of trainig equipment. I've seen people doing leg extensions with a belt ! talk about clueless...

Originally posted by LAM
    Try to avoid using a belt whenever possible. It is probably the most over-used piece of trainig equipment. I've seen people doing leg extensions with a belt ! talk about clueless...
    I wear a belt for nearly every exercise--including leg extensions and even calf raises. Seriously.

I have two lower back disk herniations (L5 & S1 for those keeping score) and I have found that exercising without the belt aggravates the injury. Yes, I am working on strengthening my lower back and abs, but it is a slow go since my back gets tweaked well before my abs give out.
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I worked at a gym this summer and there would be guys that would wear a belt all through there training. And these guys were not exactly using heavy weights either. Oh yeah they never benched, squat, or deadlifted ever.
    Last edited by TreeTrunks; 08-28-2002 at 07:25 AM.

i lost respect for this really hot guy at my old gym when i saw him benching with a weight-belt on.

it was a damn shame.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Quote Originally Posted by Tryska
    i lost respect for this really hot guy at my old gym when i saw him benching with a weight-belt on.

it was a damn shame.
    Dangit I said I'd loose the belt man get over your self!!

Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

I use a belt to hold my bench shirt in place. Other than that, unless I am nursing an injury, I rarely if ever bench with a belt on when going raw.

If my back is hurting, like after max effort good mornings, then I will wear one if it makes it feel better, but there is no need to wear one doing most exercises in the gym.

If your back is healthy and you are not wearing a belt right now, then I would recommend never getting started with one. It is a crutch for most people, and your back will get stronger if you don't wear one.

That being said, don't be stupid and get hurt unnecessarily either. When I deadlift conventional, I don't wear a belt, but when I go sumo, I do, just got to find out what works for you.

And Tryska, would you have lost respect if he had 4 or 5 wheels per side on that bench? I hope not, cause you look pretty hot in that avatar, and I would hate to lose a chance at you over a belt.

B.

*lol*

that avatar looks nothing like me. you may change your mind if you saw the real me.

anyways..yeah, perhaps if he had 4 or 5 plates per side i would have let it go...but ermmm...he didn't.

and he only wore the belt to bench. i don't think he did legs either. not sure. that was months ago. *lol*

Kromax...I have complete disc herniations at S1/S2 and L4/L5 so i know what you've been through. I don't wear a belt for anything anymore.

When I got back to training after the accident the first thing I started doing was squating ATF with no belt and very light weights. My low back strength has consistently been improving and my sciatica is complete gone.

Your low back will never get stronger if you use that belt for crutch.
    Last edited by LAM; 08-28-2002 at 01:05 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Spawn_X
    equinox - perhaps it has effect long term ?

just asking.
    Could be, I guess there is no way of knowing 100%. My logic is that the longer I lift, gradually the better my form will become and the stronger my lower back will get, therefore making injury less likely.

I posted that first thing mainly because I heard some people say that the belt has increased their poundage on squats and deads.

-Justin

3:16
    Originally posted by Kromax

I wear a belt for nearly every exercise--including leg extensions and even calf raises. Seriously.

I have two lower back disk herniations (L5 & S1 for those keeping score) and I have found that exercising without the belt aggravates the injury. Yes, I am working on strengthening my lower back and abs, but it is a slow go since my back gets tweaked well before my abs give out.
    most of the arguments used will regard healthy non-injuryed people.
    But when/if you recover from this problem would you still wear a belt?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Originally posted by body

most of the arguments used will regard healthy non-injuryed people.
    But when/if you recover from this problem would you still wear a belt?
    This injury is permanent unless I elect to have surgery--which at this point is out of the question. I have learned to *enjoy* the pain.

Originally posted by LAM
    Kromax...I have complete disc herniations at S1/S2 and L4/L5 so i know what you've been through. I don't wear a belt for anything anymore.

When I got back to training after the accident the first thing I started doing was squating ATF with no belt and very light weights. My low back strength has consistently been improving and my sciatica is complete gone.

Your low back will never get stronger if you use that belt for crutch.
    I appreciate your remarks. As I said, I am in the process of strengthening my back and abs, but it's slow-going. I agree that the belt may be a crutch, but I am not prepared to give it up yet. Lifting without it is too painful, and it would probably keep me out of the gym altogether.

Anyone ever think people keep them on because they are too lazy to take it off and carry it around?
    "Color outside the lines"

squarehead....the problem is, you don't match your shoes to your belt, so it's like...doubly annoying.

WHAT I thought hot pink matched everything! Oh great.. Time to re-plan my whole life!
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

best get right on that...

haha, i brought back a thread over two years old, haha.
    "Color outside the lines"

So why do PL'ers wear belts when benching? Never really figured that one out.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Bringing back an old thread....I use one in the gym because I am a powerlifter, ,and I dont want my not so six pack showing and disturbing anyone....So it is more for them than me....lol
    Goal - 450+ RAW Bench