The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

PR blaster!

Need help with strength routine...

Here's the deal:

I'd like to concentrate on improvements on the big three lifts: bench, deadlift, and squat. I wouldnt mind doing westside stuff but I think westside doesnt concentrate enough on full ROM movements because they use suits and/or shirts. My lifts are raw and I want to keep them that way (dont plan on using suits/shirts or the like). I've been using a push/pull/legs type of routine and made some gains off of that, but now I'd like something more focused on strength.

About my lifts:

My bench is 160 (yeah blows) and my weakness on the lift is definitely towards the bottom. Directly off chest it goes up and then a couple inches higher just stalls. If I get the bar halfway up, I always lockout.

My deadlift is at 300. Just like my bench, my lockout is strong. The bar moves very slowly off the ground. If I miss a lift its either at the bottom or an inch or two off of the ground.

My best squat was 240, but I wore pants that got tight around my legs and ass on the way down which probably helped me get out of the hole (like a suit I guess). But there was plenty of depth on the way down. Just like my other two lifts, I have trouble getting out of hole.

I need help coming up with a routine that works around these lifts and focuses around my specific weaknesses. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sysopt; 09-01-2002 at 02:27 PM.
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Need help with strength routine...

Originally posted by sysopt
    Here's the deal:

I'd like to concentrate on improvements on the big three lifts: bench, deadlift, and squat. I wouldnt mind doing westside stuff but I think westside doesnt concentrate enough on full ROM movements because they use suits and/or shirts. My lifts are raw and I want to keep them that way. I've been using a push/pull/legs type of routine and made some gains off of that, but now I'd like something more focused on strength.

Understandable. However, even if you don't want to work with mainstream Westside, the basic philsophy of light speed and heavy limit days is still a very good one to follow, and I'd advise that you do that in some form or fashion.

About my lifts:

My bench is 160 (yeah blows) and my weakness on the lift is definitely towards the bottom. Directly off chest it goes up and then a couple inches higher just stalls. If I get the bar halfway up, I always lockout.

Paused benches, from the bottom and the sticking point. Speed benches. Isometrics at the sticking point.

My deadlift is at 300. Just like my bench, my lockout is strong. The bar moves very slowly off the ground. If I miss a lift its either at the bottom or an inch or two off of the ground.

Pull off of plates. Speed singles, both heavy and light. Stiff-legged DL's.

My best squat was 240, but I wore pants that got tight around my legs and ass on the way down which probably helped me get out of the hole (like a suit I guess). But there was plenty of depth on the way down. Just like my other two lifts, I have trouble getting out of hole.

Again, paused and speed squats will be your friends.

I need help coming up with a routine that works around these lifts and focuses around my specific weaknesses. Thanks in advance.

You've basically got two options here. You can do the basic meat-and-potatoes "Coan-style" linear periodization, or you can adopt a Westside-style routine.

I'd lean towards Westside-style, myself. However, the drawback to that is that you won't get to train the squat and DL heavy each week, if you need or like that stimulus.

Try setting up something based on the Westside 2x/week methodology, but incorporate the exercises I listed; paused and/or speed work on the dynamic days, and full ROM, extended ROM, and maybe even static movements on maximal day.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

PR blaster!
    Thanks. Can you just make up a routine for me? I'm also not that familiar with all the exercises. The whole concept of placing boards on ones chest for benching all of sudden makes so much sense now. ha
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

Go to elitefts.com find the basic training program by Bob Youngs. It is 9 weeks long. If it has exercises there that you don't like, or don't have a way of doing, then just substitute something for those exercises.

Good Luck.

B.

PR blaster!
    Alright, thanks B.