Thread: Fighting stress. Need suggestions

Fighting stress. Need suggestions

I have periods I go through where I'm stressed bad. Sometimes for weeks. I know this isnt good so I need some input here. For the past 3 months I've been supplementing on the following:
    One A Day, VitB stress tabs with zinc, fish oil, vit E, biotin. I started taking DHEA 25mg at night last week. I heard this is good for fighting cortisol levels. I also eat a well balanced meal and stay away from processed foods etc....
    I lift weights two to three times a week. I also always get around 7-8 hours of sleep. Am I on the right path? I have a prescription to xanax and I usually pop a few of those on days when the stress is really high. SOrry but this has been a very bad year. I've had a lot of crap to go through. Most of which I'm sure you guys don't care about.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Stabber; 11-10-2003 at 12:05 PM.
    Something has been taken from deep inside of me
    The secret I’ve kept locked away no one can ever see
    Wounds so deep they never show they never go away
    Like moving pictures in my head for years and years they’ve played

Talking about it, writting, playing an instrument has helped me before.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

word. I need to get another band back together. I have tons of equipment collecting dust. Tascam 8 track recorders, ibanez rg series guitars, marshall quarter stacks with celestions, roland digital processors.
    Something has been taken from deep inside of me
    The secret I’ve kept locked away no one can ever see
    Wounds so deep they never show they never go away
    Like moving pictures in my head for years and years they’ve played

Buddhist meditation.

Wannabebig Member
    On the supplement side, some people have reported that taking PS (phosphatidyl serine) really helps with stress. It's a cortisol blocker & you can get it at GNC or wherever. It's expensive though.

As far as other stuff goes, exercise & sleep are probably the 2 most important things.

And like Scott said, buddhist meditation can be really helpful. Sit still and count your breaths from 1-10. When the stressed-out thoughts come up, try to let them arise, hang around as long as they need to, and then leave. Try to just observe the thoughts without reacting to them.
    "That feeling - the finish line, the last couple of meters - is what motivates me. If I could bottle that up and sell it I'd be the richest man in the world. This is the most overlooked thing. People shoot for the ordinary, not the extraordinary."
    - Lance Armstrong, on winning 1993 World Championship

Stabber, I hear ya bro.
    I can honestly say, without question, that I am having the worst year of my life.
    I haven't been taking any supplements and haven't gone to see a dr for any prescriptions (although I bet they would help!)
    So I guess I don't really have any advice for ya. Just be honest with yourself about the things your going through and try to keep yourself busy.

PS, whats with the talk about cortisol? forgive me for being in the dark, I thought this was a hormone released from stressing your muscles? is this a stress released hormone also?

Yes it is a stress related hormone. Hence the phrase "stress kills." Your body pumps out more cortisol when you are stressed and can suppress your immune response.

honestly, just try to take time off for yourself, without distractions...
    10 minutes a day can help so much, just sit and breathe, take a walk outside or something, consider it cardio
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Masturbate.