Thread: MissAbs' Wisdom Required.....

MissA,
    I have a friend who is quite adament(sp) about being a vegetarian. I have some concern for her because she says the only protein source she has is Cottage Cheese and a little of regular cheese. She doesn't like eggs, poultry, fish, beans or anything of that nature. (not sure about milk) She plays Lacrosse for the school team so her protein requirement is probably slightly higher than a normal person. My question is should I recomend a protein supplement to her? Any of your thoughts on this are appreciated thanks.
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Webslinger

[Edited by spideyongear on 01-23-2001 at 05:06 PM]

For strict vegetarians the trick is to make sure that you eat the proper combinations of foods in order to get complete protein with each (or at least most) of your meals. You can get protein from vegetative sources, but they do not individually have the complete array of amino acids. You can purchase books desinged for vegetarians which will display the specific aminos present in various foods. You can then use this to design your meals. For instance, pinto beans combined with rice will make for a complete protein. Your friend doesn't have to eat animal sources to get protein or buy supplements.

Chris,
    Thank you for the minor help, but had you read the post completely you would have seen that she Doesn't like beans. However thank you for the tip on the books. I won't say anything else I'll just get myself into trouble for that.......

[Edited by spideyongear on 01-24-2001 at 07:21 AM]

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

What do you mean, MINOR help? I only used the beans as an example (because I have used it in the past and it was the first thing I could think of off the top of my head). I told you to get a book because listing every vegetarian food's amino acid profile would be tedious to say the least. The advice I gave you was succinct and very sound. In fact, it is 100% correct. Exactly what else did you want? I am quite sure your friend can find a palatable mix for herself with one of those books. Tell you what, here are a few more combos:

If your friend likes milk; milk + rice, milk + corn

or

almonds, brazil, or peanuts + rice

or

sesame, or sunflower seeds + rice

or

peanuts + oats

Those are all of the combos I can come up with the limited resources I have here at home (I'm not a vegetarian). Again, get a book and I'm sure you can come up with some combos she will like.