The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
    A Fortnight Dead

On the Realization of Mortality:

PURPOSE OF JOURNAL:

To force myself to recognize those tendencies, conscious or not, which tend to undermine my success, my health, and my enjoyment of life; to provide both the evidence and inspiration necessary to abjure said tendencies and replace them with positive habits; to record miscellaneous thoughts and insipid ramblings which I may later find of use (highly doubtful, given the quality of my work); and, ultimately, to document the processes by which I will attempt to maximize my existence, however transitory and precarious it may be.

In other words, this journal will likely include the following:
    • Pathetic attempts to attract desirable women
    • Half-hearted efforts to increase caloric intake and gain muscle mass
    • Workouts that impress only the local curl jockeys
    • And, most importantly, endless self-pity and frustration.

All of which means I should probably fit in pretty well here .

FORMAT OF JOURNAL:

Assuming I have both sufficient time and desire, each journal entry should generally comprise the following sections:

• Diet
    • Lifting
    • Writing
    • Reading
    • Life

That's about it for today's update. I hate to leave you all in breathless anticipation of the first exciting entry in the endlessly-thrilling life of V, but, well, I've got no choice. The crowbar calls.
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 09-04-2002 at 10:30 PM.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

can we do a little more then a half-hearted attempt at eating more calories?

hey uess what i learned that's been really working wonders for me?

eating "around the clock" ie 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm.

it sounds simple but you wouldn't believe how much easier it's made it for me to eat every 3 hours. i've been doing goood for like 3 months now.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

A Fortnight Dead
    Thanks for the input, Tryska.

It's not that I lack an eating schedule; instead, it's that I am fixed upon a schedule and diet (have been, in fact, for months), and that it is quite difficult for me to change.

That said, I have been making ameliorative efforts lately, small ones, but improvements nonetheless. Much thanks to Belial for his help on this subject.

And I do realize that in this post I have manifested several aspects of disordered eating. It is a lingering side-effect, I believe, of recently conquered depression. At least, I hope it was predicated upon depression, and not the causative factor of the latter...

Don't know. Hope not to find out.

Thanks again.
    "human kind/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

well good luck then man. we're here for ya
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

A Fortnight Dead
    09-06-02:

Lifting:

Chins: (Light pulldowns for warmup) 45 X 5; 50 X 3; 35 X 5

Felt quite nice. Last rep on each of the last two sets was taken VERY slowly and followed by a VERY long negative. Ouch.

Deadlifts: 155 X 6; 225 X 4; 265 X 4; 295 X 4; 295 X 2

Took it a bit lighter on each of the heavy sets. Have to be very careful with my posterior chain.

Finished with bilateral machine rows and DB rows. (Nothing special.)

That said, though my strength has increased, I am concerned as to the condition of my joints (particularly my wrists.) Due to what I believe is repetitive motion injury (from typing on a laptop, both my wrists hurt. Badly. Oh well; I'll simply not do any direct bicep work for a while and take it easy on any lifts which tend to bother them. See if that helps.

Writing

Novel One: Still no word yet from agent. Waiting. Desperately.
    Novel Two: 1000 words.

I am convinced that there is little in the world more frustrating than attempting to objectively critique one's own writing (particularly if one happens to suffer from terminally low self-confidence and, that favorite PC-buzzword, *self-esteem*.) There are those who tell me what I have written is good; I doubt it. Ah well, they say even Joyce was, to the end, dissatisfied with what he produced.

Reading: Pages refer to number of pages read each day.

Current:
    Slouching Toward Gomorrah, by Robert Bork: 150 pages.
    Fascinating examination of egalitarian and modern liberal trends. While I do not necessarily share his pessimistic view of American culture, his remarkably salient criticisms of liberal jurisprudence and, its concomitant, judicial activism, are alone worth the price of the book

The Alchemist, Paulo Coehlo: 100 pages.

Recent:
    Return of the Primitive, by Ayn Rand and Peter Schwartz.
    Zen in the Art of Writing, Ray Bradbury
    The Conquest of Happiness , Bertrand Russell
    The Ideas of Ayn Rand, by some guy whose name I cannot recall.
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein.

Overall Assessment of Day:

Little wasted time. Well, except that necessitated by getting ready to leave for college. Damn. Otherwise, not too bad.
    [
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 09-07-2002 at 08:04 PM.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Banned
    Originally posted by _-_v_-_
    I am convinced that there is little in the world more frustrating than attempting to objectively critique one's own writing (particularly if one happens to suffer from terminally low self-confidence and, that favorite PC-buzzword, *self-esteem*.) There are those who tell me what I have written is good; I doubt it. Ah well, they say even Joyce was, to the end, dissatisfied with what he produced.
    Editing one's own work is definitely challenging. Personally, I find that my brain has a tendency to fill in gaps that are obvious to others because "I know what I meant". Getting an experienced editor to help you is very useful.

For your bicep pain, I recommend working with DBs instead of BBs if you want an option that puts less stress on the joint. I too found that my wrists and forearms would be bothered by heavy biceps work but I eventually pushed through it. Also, if you're doing biceps after back work, keep in mind that you're prefatiguing them... don't expect quite as much out of your biceps...

Good luck mate! Nice deadlifts BTW!

A Fortnight Dead
    Callahan,

Thanks for the advice. I've tried DBs, though, only to find that they put similar stress on my wrists. I have been informed that I am possibly suffering from tendonitis, in which case I think some anti-inflammatories might be of some use. We'll see.

As for the deadlifts, thanks. It helps that I'm short and small: 5'7'', about 140-150 lbs (haven't weighed myself in quite some time.)

And as for writing, well, all I can say is that I hope someday to reach a point at which I am satisfied with what I have produced. Given that I tend toward perfectionism, this point will likely never be reached. No matter. I'll settle for the judgement of the marketplace and the critics, particularly if large sums of money are involved .
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

v,

what kind of writing do you do?

Also, have you read Ayn Rand's other works?

v, sweet thread title.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

A Fortnight Dead
    Craig,

I have of course read her primary works of, as I call them, philosofiction (philosophy+fiction.) As for her social, epistemological, and metaphysical endeavors (to my mind, terming Objectivism, or much of Randian thought, philosophy is to do a great disservice to the former, for Objectivism was and is intended to be a drastic departure from traditional philosophical theory,) I have not read as much as I would like.

Any title in particular that you recommend? I plan to read as much of her as I can.

As for your first question (I know, I'm going about this all out of order,) I write primarily literary fiction, occasionally indulging myself in a smattering of (probably execrable) poetry. Whether or not my books have any merit whatsoever remains to be seen; I shall have a better idea when I hear from a prospective agent.

Nate,

Thanks . Technically, it's a bit of a misnomer: I did not just realize the fact that I am mortal (Really, I'm going to die? No way! You're kidding!.) The sense I was trying to convey, rather, was that with the acceptance of one's mortality ought to come a concomitant dedication to the maximization of one's existence. That is what I am trying to do.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

A Fortnight Dead
    09-07-02:

Lifting

DB Shoulder Press:
    60 X 6, 60 X 8, 65 X 3

The first set was difficult; getting the DBs into position took far too much energy (I had no spotter at that point.) In retrospect, I should have moved up to 65 on the second set, but as it was, the third set comprised only three true reps (three additional reps were done with assistance.) Oh well. 65's next week.

DB Lateral Raises:
    25 X 7, 20 X 6

Bah. Feel so puny.

DB Rear Delt Raises:
    30 X 7, 25 X 10

Took it easy on these; rear delts were a bit sore from back yesterday.

Barball Shrugs:
    265 X 8, 265 X 8, 265 X 8

I realize these might seem a bit odd when juxtaposed with my size and other lifts. That said, my traps have always been quite strong (and are perhaps my best body part). I also question, from time to time, the correctness of my form. However, I do feel that I reach full contraction when shrugging, and so therefore I am not terribly concerned.

I must say, though, that I have never seen anyone else perform barbell shrugs in my gym, and so I have no means to compare my form or performance with that of others. Therefore, if these lifts seem disproportionate, please let me know, and I will reevaluate my form and, if necessary, lower the weight. Thanks

Finished with some hang cleans just for the hell of it. Normally I do upright rows, an exercise my wrist pain now precludes.

Writing:

Novel One: No news
    Novel Two: 500 words.

Quality was not commensurate with (desired) ability today. That happens. Oh well. In a way, though, I'm almost glad for it; it gives me time to develop more completely a conception of the overarching thematic progression of the novel. In other words, I am f*cking clueless at this point Perhaps not. Though it often feels like it ....

Reading : (Pages refer to number of pages read each day.)

Slouching Toward Gomorrah, by Robert Bork: 150 pages.
    The Alchemist. Paulo Coehlo, 80 pages. Completed.

Decent day.
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 09-07-2002 at 08:11 PM.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Barball Shrugs:[/u] 265 X 8, 265 X 8, 265 X 8

I realize these might seem a bit odd when juxtaposed with my size and other lifts. That said, my traps have always been quite strong (and are perhaps my best body part). I also question, from time to time, the correctness of my form. However, I do feel that I reach full contraction when shrugging, and so therefore I am not terribly concerned.

I must say, though, that I have never seen anyone else perform barbell shrugs in my gym, and so I have no means to compare my form or performance with that of others. Therefore, if these lifts seem disproportionate, please let me know, and I will reevaluate my form and, if necessary, lower the weight. Thanks
    Well done on the shrugs. I too, seem to have this same abnormality, in that my shrug lifts are disproportionate for my other shoulder and back lifts or at least IMO. I believe my ROM is in line with others that I've seen in my gym and that I have a fairly slow tempo compared to others in my gym. That might not mean too much if most in my gym use poor form but it's all I have to compare with.

B&I, who seems to have incredible form, based on his journal, has his shoulders raised to his ears when doing shrugs. I admit, that I do not quite reach that level when performing mine - but close.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

A Fortnight Dead
    Thanks for the input.

I also raise shoulders nearly to ear-level (if not to ear-level, then to as high as my shoulders will contract, with or without weight.) While my form may not be perfect, I am nevertheless satisfied with the growth of my traps and concomitant increases in my strength.

Anyway, time for the update.

09-09-02

Lifting:

Squats:
    155 X 6, 225 X 4, 260 X 6, 260 X 6, 270 X 5

Changed these a bit: went from a narrower stance, which placed uncomfortable pressure on my hips and back, to a wider stance. I abandoned the wide stance several months ago, as it became clear that my right knee had the charming habit of bending inward under heavy weight. DEEElightful! Anyway, I returned to the former, uh..., form and found that my right knee had developed strength sufficient to prevent any potentially-surprising inward motion. Overall, despite being a bit unaccustomed to the different stance, I was pleased how these felt. They should shoot up soon, I hope.

That is, if I eat enough.

SLDL (off floor):
    225 X 8, 255 X 6

Took these a bit easy today. I still have some lingering lower back issues (joint pain and the like,) and a tendency to round my back under too much weight. So rather than force the issue, rather than, as Eliot might say, "disturb the universe," I gave my back a bit of a rest and focused instead on pulling in my hamstrings. Worked well, I think.

Hack Squat (ATF):
    : 290 X 6, 300 X 4

These are hard. Ouch. Much unpleasantness.

Leg Curls:
    130 X 6, 120 X 8

Whatever.

Leg Extensions:
    210 X 10, 210 X 7

Again, whatever.

Finished with calf work (seated and standing.)

Weight: 145 (approx.)

Writing:

Novel One: Heard from agent. Not good. Damn. Oh well. Time to find a new agent.

Novel Two: Good progress. Am beginning to have a clearer conception of thematic development. Characters are growing sharper, more distinct. Everything is coalescing, taking shape. Good.

Reading:

Yesterday: Finished Slouching Toward Gomorrah and started The Archivist/

Today:
    The Archivist, 100 pages.

Well, all is said and done for another day. How nice it has --
    RANT ALERT:

I hope my agent reads this. Let her. I hope I go bestseller and make another agent famous and rich. I hope I go movie-adaption and seven-figure deals. I hope I go Steven King on her ass.

No. I'm not bitter. Not at all. What makes you say that?

END RANT:

--been to share it all with you

-v-
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 09-09-2002 at 10:53 PM.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

A Fortnight Dead
    09-10-02:

Lifting:

Bench Press:
    165 X 3, 155 X 6, 155 X 5

What the hell? Strength dropped precipitously here...hmm.... Normally I can put up 165 for at least six....

Damn you, diet.

Dips:
    +70 X 3, +55 X 7, +60 X 4

Again, less than normal. I ought to hit at least 70 X 6. I think my body just likes to f*ck with me.

Flies:
    40 X 7, 40 X 5

How pathetic. How freaking pathetic.

V-grip cable pressdowns:
    150 X 7, 140 X 6, 140 X 6

Whatever. Man, my wrists LOVED these. Felt just GREAT.
    (ouch ouch ouch)

Finished with lying dumbbell extensions.

Now, normally I do skullcrushers followed by v-grip pressdowns; however, skullcrushers currently hurt my wrists too much, so I have had to improvise a bit. Damn. I miss skulls.
    Weight: 144

Writing:

Novel One: Editing again: an attempt to force fresh beauty into tired prose. And that is what bothers me: there is a story to be told, images and emotions to be reduced into words, yet I fear that I cannot do it justice, that I am neither skilled nor lucky enough to create what I have imagined. I now know, on some shallow level, how a surgeon must feel; there is something waiting to be born, something which I must now bring into the world. And if I fail.... at least, unlike the surgeon, I can begin again.

Novel Two: Progress, perhaps. Who knows, the story may tomorrow crash to the ground in flames. Isn't writing fun!

Reading:

The Alchemist, : 100 pages. (Too busy today; no time to read.)
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 09-10-2002 at 08:43 PM.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Cool journal V. I can almost feel myself getting smarter while reading it. Keep up the good work.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

v, I have read most of the works of Ayn Rand, and personally the only one that I care for is her monument - Atlas Shrugged . I usually read that one once every year or so. As far as her fiction goes, it is the only one that I care for, and I simply have a hard time reading her purely philosophical works. I did read the biography Passion of Ayn Rand by Barbara Branden. It was very informative yet difficult, too, in that there is a dark side to Rand that I would rather not have known about.

I salute you in your endeavor towards publication. I have long thought of sitting down and typing out my own little book or two, only I have just failed to "Do It". Perhaps reading of your experiences will help me to get my own work going. By the way, Stephen King has an interesting book out on writing that, if you haven't read it already, makes for a very good look into his journey of writing and getting published.

As far as your BB shrugs go - I always found myself to be able to do large amounts of weight compared with my other lifts. I find the shrugs to be similar to calf raises in that it is a very small ROM and the muscles are very good at moving a lot of weight.

Anyway, I enjoy your journal!

A Fortnight Dead
    Arj- Thanks for the compliment

Craig --

Yeah, I agree with you about Ayn Rand; from what I've read, she did have a sordid side to her, one which unfortunately made her philosophy far too easy a target for ad hominem attacks.

And, regarding publication, thanks; it's not the writing that is difficult but the selling thereof. King's On Writing is informative, I agree. If you are interested in any other titles on that subject, or if you have any questions regarding the writing/publishing process, feel free to let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Don't be afraid to start, though; you'd be surprised at how easy the writing process can sometimes be. 1000 words each day X three months = one book.

09-13-02:

Lifting:

Chins: +55 X 3 , +45 X 4, +40 X 4

Slow negative on the last rep of each set. Ouch.

DB Row: 75 X 6, 80 X 4, 75 X 6

Yeah, I know; I dropped weight on the last set. There was simply no way that 80 was going up for another set of four solid reps. Oh well. Still a PR.

Finished with cable rows and hammer curls.

That's it. I am fed up with my f*cking wrists; call it tendonitis, call it joint pain, call it invisible zombies gnawing my hands off, I don't care; they hurt. The pain shoots along the outside of each wrist, from the pinky down the forearm. My doctor believes that typing on my laptop may be the culprit; when I type, my wrists are placed at an odd angle, which stresses exactly the afflicted area.
    I hate this. Bicep curls are simply out of the question. Any type of bicep curls.

Damn. I guess this means I'll never have those HYOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE GUNZ I've always wanted.

Also, I am reducing my deadlift frequency in the hope of focusing more effectively on my squat. I'll be doing deadlifts every other week, alternating them with hyperextensions. We'll see how this works.

Weight: 144.

Writing:

Novel One: Editing. I plan to query a new set of agents as soon as I finish moving.

Novel Two: Good progress and good editorial feedback. At this point, I am reluctant to discuss specifically the salient points of the novel; I am too unsure of the overall thematic progression and character development to place such (currently) delicate constructions under public scrutiny. In time, I will write with more specificity; but for now, I cannot.

Reading:

Finished The Archivist. Fascinating book, especially for those who happen to be fans of Eliot (I am.)

And I admit. I caved. I gave in. I acquiesced. I bought The Lovely Bones. More to study than to read.

Other Crap:

I hate packing. I hate moving. I hate getting ready for college. And I really hate 20 hour drives.

Sorry. Had to vent.

Later.
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 09-13-2002 at 10:05 PM.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

A Fortnight Dead
    Ok. Screw form of update; screw content; screw anything but venting.

Note to self: next time, get a GROUND FLOOR apartment.

Moving to a top-floor sucks. Badly.

That said, I'm all settled in here at college. Ah, higher education; I can smell the bullsh*t now.

Can't wait for my first communist professor. What fun.

Workouts have been...crap...squeezed in when I've had time. Oh, another note to self: doing pull-ups with a 60lb dumbbell hanging from your toes is NOT comfortable.

Weight: down to 140. Too much stress; too much walking; too much moving heavy objects; too much dealing with orientation touchy-feely condescending patronizing politicizing socializing pacifying reassuring utter NONSENSE!!!!!!!

No, I don't mind. Not at all. Treat me as if I'm never been here before. Welcome me to college by acting as if I'm too stupid to belong here. Whatever.

Anyway, time to get ready for classes. Will formally update the journal when I have time.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Yeah I always hated college orientations, i've been to plenty. They spend 45 minutes talking to you about date rape and 5 minutes showing you were your classes are.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

The Alchemist. Paulo Coehlo, 80 pages. Completed.
    I was just skimming and I found this. What did you think of this short-but-poignant piece? I truly loved it. It's simple, but so profound at the same time. I still think of it from time to time.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

A Fortnight Dead
    No form for this update: instead, merely content. Which is, I guess, how it should be.

For whatever reason, I'll also detail warmup sets.

Squats 135 X 6, 225 X 4, 260 X 6, 280 X 6, 290 X 4

Next stop, 315 for reps. These felt solid, with not a bit of trouble from my right knee (which has, as some of you more diligent readers will no doubt recall , a DEEElightful tendency to bow inward, not everytime, but just enough to make life interesting.) The wider stance is helping quite a bit.

SLDLS 255 X 8, 265 X 6

Taken from the floor. Felt strong, quite strong. I need to keep an eye on my back, though.

Leg Press 500 X 8, 600 X 6

Yawn. Whatever. Call it what you want; it still feels pathetic compared to some of the ppl on this site (read: belial, powerman, elp, etc...)

Finished with leg curls, leg extensions, and some calf work.

Weight: 141.

-Jane: To tell the truth, I was disappointed with the book. I had, from the accolades it had "earned" and the glowing recommendations I had been given, been led to expect something powerful, something thought-provoking, something even (pause) life-changing. Instead I found myself reading new-age self-help worthy of Tony Robbins himself. While I am no existentialist, I cannot claim in good conscience that all the universe conspires to help you achieve your "Personal Legend," a term which itself reeks of mass-produced inspirational calendars festooned with cute kittens hanging precariously from tree-limbs (god how I wish to see that damn kitten fall . While a benevolent transendent entity may and in all probability does exist, the fact that too many good people are cut short in the prime of their lives, tantalized by the forestallment or denial of their goals, or frustrated by immutable circumstance, necessarily undercuts, and even makes laughable, Coehlo's theme.

Thanks for the post, though. Please don't think I'm attacking you here . From what I've read, you are perhaps the most frighteningly intelligent person I've ever met. Really.

-Arj. Yeah, college orientations suck. Especially here.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

A Fortnight Dead
    Ah, crap.

I must be the ONE guy in the world who hates working chest. Speaking of, note to chest: you are supposed to get STRONGER as time goes on; progression is by definition an UPWARD trend.

That said, I'm not even going to detail my benching prowess, or rather the utter lack thereof. Instead I'm going to detail the routine i've been using over the past few weeks/months and open myself to any and all suggestions, with the sole caveat that nobody mention how i've been neglecting my upper chest.

Routine:
    Flat BB Bench 3 X 6-8 (generally first set heavier for 4-6, last two a bit lighter for 6-8)

Dips 3 X 6-8 (heaviest set first, and only the last set taken to failure)

Flies 2 X 8 (failure on last rep of last set)

When I haven't had access to a dip belt, I've instead used the following routine:

Flat (same as above)

DB Press 2 X 6-8

Flies 3 X 6-8
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

are you able to force yourself to do 1-2 reps extra of the same weight from last week? How long have you been doing flat bench, perhaps you've reached a plateau? Maybe think of switching to DB incline.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

wut r u doing for ur upper chest???
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Erm, right.

I hate working chest too.

How are you doing your flyes? The much-maligned fly-press seems to do a lot more for me than standard flyes.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results