The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Teach me, master BB

More newbie questions

Well, I hate being a newbie pest, but I'm afraid I have a few more questions...

1. I recently borrowed a book from the library so I can see how proper form of excerices should be done. My first question is is there a way to tell if I misunderstood how to do it and am doing it wrong. I've read multiple times that proper form is more important then loads of weight, so you should make sure your weight isn't screwing up your form. That's why I want to be careful to do the form right.

2. I have a relatively high metabolism, and usually do a lot of cardio activity. Do I need to cut down on my cardio to gain muscle mass?

3. I've recently heard the term "train intensly". My question is, what does it mean? Does it Mean to train to muscular failure? Or something else?

4. Last question...if I'm training with 3 sets of 6 reps, and I perform the first two sets, then the 3rd I only pull off 3 reps, should I keep training until I can get to the 6 reps on the third set, or lower the weight.

Thanks! I'll try not to be so much of a newbie from now on hehe.
    current weight: 135 approx.

Goals: 170 pounds

<9% BF

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    read a lot more about working out and use trial and error before posting again dude... people will get pissesd off at you for asking newb questions...

Grasshoppa
    If your metabolism is high, I think you answered your own question. Yes, cut down on the cardio if you are "bulking". Either that or eat a whole lot more to make up the difference. You're burning cals when you do cardio, so it's important to remain above maintenance.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Re: More newbie questions

Originally posted by Holylite
    Well, I hate being a newbie pest, but I'm afraid I have a few more questions...

1. I recently borrowed a book from the library so I can see how proper form of excerices should be done. My first question is is there a way to tell if I misunderstood how to do it and am doing it wrong. I've read multiple times that proper form is more important then loads of weight, so you should make sure your weight isn't screwing up your form. That's why I want to be careful to do the form right.
    *** www.exrx.net for exercise form with pics.

2. I have a relatively high metabolism, and usually do a lot of cardio activity. Do I need to cut down on my cardio to gain muscle mass?
    ***Possibly, but mainly you need to take in more calories than you burn. This is where much of the trial and error come in. If you feel you are gaining fat, eat a little less, if you feel you are gaining muscle and not much fat, that's about right.
    3. I've recently heard the term "train intensly". My question is, what does it mean? Does it Mean to train to muscular failure? Or something else?
    ***Basically put aside all your other daily stuff when you are at the gym and go at it full out, mentally and physically. This does not necessarily mean going to failure.
    4. Last question...if I'm training with 3 sets of 6 reps, and I perform the first two sets, then the 3rd I only pull off 3 reps, should I keep training until I can get to the 6 reps on the third set, or lower the weight.
    ***Up to you depending on your goals. Myself, I would lower the weight until I got at least closer to 6 reps.
    Thanks! I'll try not to be so much of a newbie from now on hehe.
    Unlike what jugheadkills said, no one is going to get pissed at you, some will answer, some will ignore your questions, some will advise you to read more or do a search. Everyone here was a once too.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

A Fortnight Dead
    We will not be angry at newbies. If anger or frustration is ever expressed, it is only at those who have continued to post questions which have recently been answered and which are easily accessible through the search feature of the website.

In other words, don't ask us how to isolate the upper chest. Trust me on this. Please. Don't. For the love of God, Don't.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Grasshoppa
    But if you want to know how to isolate the lower chest, then by all means....

=P.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Teach me, master BB
    Thanks all for the help and advice!

I try to use the search option as much as possible, i've had many initial questions answered that way. I also usually check the front page to make sure nothing has been posted recently about it. I put the newbie questions thing in my title so people can quick scan and if they don't want to read newbie questions they don't have to, keeps them from wasting time and/or flaming me about it hehe. I'm not here to piss anyone off, just to learn how to lift properly, eat right, and obtain maximum gains possible from my workout
    current weight: 135 approx.

Goals: 170 pounds

<9% BF

Originally posted by Holylite
    I'm not here to piss anyone off, just to learn how to lift properly, eat right, and obtain maximum gains possible from my workout
    So are the rest of us...mostly
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

A Fortnight Dead
    So are the rest of us...mostly
    Except Eric. He's just the sex toy.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg