Thread: Realistic sprinting goal?

The Truth

Realistic sprinting goal?

I think i'm gonna put BB off for a while since i'm not gonna get huge as a teenager anyway. So, i may start doing track and other sports again. My primary event are the 100m and 200m.

My PB as a 14 year old was 12.3, now i'm 16. DO you think I could run at least a 11.3 (Not that incredibly fast, but i think if i can get 11.3 by March, i can really cut a lot off and get down to a competitive time) if i was in shape? Considering i wasn't even in shape as a 14 yr old? My goal is to run at least a 11.3 by next March, is that realistic?

What type of a routine would be good to increase my speed? Running sprints in the winter might be tough, but I might be able to do them at once place... Should i run few sprints now, more later? How many days/week?

The strength part of my track routine--if i start doing it again--would help me get a good strength base which i need for bb'n anyway, right?

It's hard to tell as to how much you can progress.

I competed at the national level in college in the 100m and long jump. but in my teen years I saw some people get faster and others get slower with age. all you can do is put in 110%.

explosive lifts and plyometrics will help to increase your speed but as always there are also genetic limitations..

Originally posted by LAM
    It's hard to tell as to how much you can progress.

explosive lifts and plyometrics will help to increase your speed but as always there are also genetic limitations..

Plyo Coach: "......what do you want?......"

Adam Archuletta: ".......I wanna be fast......"

Plyo Coach: "......You wanna be fast, eh? You're gonna need glutes, and you're gonna need hams......."

(Adam Archuleta's conversation with his private strength & conditioning coach. He was a 6 foot, 175 lb. 18 year old at the time.)

He now plays starting safety for the Rams.

Football requires multiple explosions on any given play, so I understand that it doesn't directly apply to the 100m sprint.

I just sort of liked the quote when I heard it. I've just never heard it put that way before. And of course, he's oversimplifying, but I think what the guy was saying was, the more mass you have in those areas, the more mass you'll have available for explosive training.

I can't remember the name of the training facility Archuleta went to, but I went to their website once, and everything was real "top secret".

I know when they showed video footage of him before the NFL draft, they had this apparatus they used to suspend him from the ceiling, and then they'd drop him, and he'd land on all fours, and explode back up. He is a flat-out athletic FREAK.