The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hmm, I like to be big!!!

How much to buy your own commercial gym

Soon im heading off to college, And I'm going to pick some kind of career, how concievable is it for me to save up cash and buy my own gym? Lets just say I have 3 equal partners and can find a good locale? Is this just a pipe dream or what?
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

excellent idea, i would say no less than 100k
    Last edited by kAiXuan; 09-07-2002 at 01:45 PM.
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

a COMMERCIAL GYM kaix. not a home gym

100k is not enough for a commercial gym?
    Last edited by kAiXuan; 09-07-2002 at 01:46 PM.

why is the difference in prices?
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Property price obviously depends on the location. Then you need to build a building and repair an old one, or buy property with a building on it already. $50,000 to build a decent size building. Then you need misc costs like counters and cash registers and water fountains. I'd say factore in 5-10 more grand. Now for some hefty numbers... the equiptment. For quality equiptment you could probably pull by with 15-25 grand, for some benches squat rack, pulleys, weight racks, weights and a few machines. It could go FAR FAR up from there depending on how much equiptment, how many weights, and how much cardio equiptment.
    That adds up to under a hundred thousand, but somehow I can conceive someone building a gym for under a 100 g's.
    It just varies to much on property price, construction price, and how much equiptment you want to say straight off the bat.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

"And I'm going to pick some kind of career, how concievable is it for me to save up cash and buy my own gym? Lets just say I have 3 equal partners and can find a good locale? "

keywords- career, my own gym, 3 partners, locale-

sounds like he wants to own a commercial gym to me

Originally posted by Reinier
    "And I'm going to pick some kind of career, how concievable is it for me to save up cash and buy my own gym? Lets just say I have 3 equal partners and can find a good locale? "

keywords- career, my own gym, 3 partners, locale-

sounds like he wants to own a commercial gym to me
    good observation :evillaugh
    Last edited by kAiXuan; 09-07-2002 at 01:49 PM.

Inquire about franchise rates for some of the big gyms (like Gold's). A lot of restaurants require that you have about 150k in liquid assets before you can start a franchise.

Reinier, look at the fooking topic "How much to buy your own commercial gym". Obviously that's what he was talking about. I have no idea how much it would cost, but for a commercial gym I'd say more then that. If you actually had to build your own gym...It would depend on the location of the gym and everything like that. Maybe you could go to some big gym's websites and check it out and see if they are looking for buyers into any certain locations.

I was a co-owener of a gym several years ago. the most critical factor in it's success is the location. the best places are near coporate parks, schools and large housing developments or off a heavily traveled roadway.

Not only do you need money for the start-up of the gym but you also need a decent amount of capitol to pay for salaries etc. It takes a long time before an actual profit is seen.
    Last edited by LAM; 09-07-2002 at 02:26 PM.

I'd go ahead and say 750K to 1 mil for a large-sized, well-equipped gym.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    5O GRAND. I spent only 35 in the beginning and now I've got about 65 in it. Population and competition are the two most important things. My wife and I run it, and it is doing well. 3000sqft and only in a town of 12-15k. Got 3 treadmills, 3 bikes, 2 tanning beds (soon to be more), and various pieces of equipment. Get your basics benches, racks, db's, bars/plates. Make a cable crossover an essential, it can be used for so many things. Out of all the things though the flooring is gonna bite your ass. I've got 3/4" cattle mats covering the whole floor (6 grand)and they work awesome - 700lb deads don't phase em. Advertising and catchy "new member" benefits are what will put you over the top or keep you on the bottom. Problem I see is you've got 2 more partners. 3way split on bills is good, but 3way split on profit may be a problem. Research, research, research. Always figure only on doing half as well as the projected outcome. An overabundance of optimism doesn't always work out for the best. Good luck!
    6' 205 12% (up from 178 10% back in May)
    Target 225 7% (by Jan 1st)

Overtrained from 1992-1996
    Fat 1997-1999 (215 20%bf)
    Overtrained from 1999-early 2002
    Training Correctly May 2002-present

Athlete/Semi-pro football

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    LOL at the $100k comment.... That'd either get you a really nice car to drive to work in, or the crappiest gym known to man in the worst neighbourhood in the universe. So, unless you're looking to start a commercial gym in your parents garage after college, I'd plan on at least $1 - 1.5mil.

If you build new, for a commercial building lot big enough for gym facility and parking lot in a suburban or small urban district where you will be able to attract clientelle, you're looking at over $150 - 250k alone. Build the place, you're up to around $900k, and add in the equipment, you're looking at well over $1mil before you even sign up your first member. Remember, commercial construction and land costs a hell of alot more than residential....

Your better bet might be to try to find a gym that is for sale, even if it needs some renovations, might be a bit cheaper. Just make sure to find out why its for sale before you even talk numbers...... Is the current owner retiring rich, or is he looking to sell his financial burden to an unsuspecting schmoe??? Look at past five to ten year financials, get a good lawyer and a better accountant (and avoid any gym that employs Andersen as either accountant or auditor)

I've often thought of opening my own gym, and my own resteraunt. I think either one, or both would be a great career! The owner of my gym back home also owns two resteraunts, he's like 35, and hes a millionaire. Oh well, guess I'm doomed to be a lowly finance geek for life..................
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

I have a love/hate relationship with the restaurant idea. On the one hand, I know how lucrative and popular a good restaurant can be.

On the other hand, I also know just how freakin' hard it can be to run such an operation, and its pretty damn easy to go under if you don't establish yourself quickly and run things properly.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    yeah, thats one of the reasons that I never really persued it. I've seen so many resteraunts come and go, it makes me nervous to risk so much cash and time, only to go under six months down the road.... I guess if you can find a niche market, and serve top end food, then it might fly, but who knows!
    I think larger cities would be the place to start a resteraunt/gym, or whatever. people in the town I am from originally are too close minded to try new things, so if you're not a big community figure, you're business won't fly..
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Banned
    The best way to run a gym would be to use it as a tax writeoff for your other (more lucractive and profitable) results.

A. F.
    i'd say you can get the equipment for 50 grand or less...

franchising?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Youd better be buying the equipment used, walk over to a fitness store or even sears and take a look at the type of treadmill you get for $1000 NOT MUCH, My sisters boyfriend works at a gym hear and he said that they drop 7000 on each treadmill (canadain dollars) but there is the option of leasing htem
    Eat Until Your Tired : Sleep Until Your Hungry

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    But if I have 3 equal partners won't that make it cost a lot less? I can live with my parents for a time being if I put it together quickly. I was planning on something that only attracted the more hardcore lifters and catered to their needs as oppose to regular people's needs. I dunno, like westside bands and heavy bags and chiziat, not just treadmills and stuff.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

you can not get the treadmills from sears.. you need 'comerical' treadmills that can withstand being on for a whole day and can absorb punishment and abuse. that is why the ones the gyms have are so expensive.

if you want to buy your own gym i would say it could go from the cost of the equipment inside the gym to the sky. A gym is like any other business. the price is determined by the amount of income it brings in ever year. for example a gym that brings in 300k a year will probably be worth 1-1.5 mil but a gym that brings in 75k will probably be worth 300-450k.

a gym is a really risky business to start up. it would be safer to start buy a fast food chain store.
    Sweat in time of peace, bleed less in time of war.

nejar462...your main problem will be getting a loan. with out sufficient assests you will not qualify for any type of business loan. personal loans are very high interest (like 16-20%) and you still need some type of assest to secure the loan.
    Last edited by LAM; 09-08-2002 at 12:32 AM.

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    Cardio machines alone cost 5 grand (the elliptical and treadmills) and the weight equipment is cheaper but not by much, and if you want to have a sucessful gym it more than likely should have cardio equipment to attract other clientele. Nowadays it's also very beneficial to have a franchise type gym. The name alone brings in people. Your looking about prolly 500k at the least.

A wise man once told me: Retail sucks.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!