The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Eating Disorders

I was just wondering if antone her has batteled with an eating disorder. If so what kind, and how long ago? Do you still struggle with it? What made you realize you had a problem, etc

Sorry it's just a random it's 2 am and I can;t sleep kind of questions

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Anyone who is obsessed about their weight and physical appearance and then attempts to manipulate their diet in crazy ways has an 'eating disorder'. I guess that would be me since that is what is required to get ready for a contest.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

um...yes. i don't know if it's psychological necessarily, altho it may have some control aspects to it, and it's anorexia. I like to not eat for days at a time. It kinda sucks, and it's something i always struggle with. I've been dealing with it for 11 or 12 years now, but basically, it's gotten much better since i realize i have to eat in order to keep my metabolism going, and it's caused me a few physical problems.

anyways, i keep to a strict eating schedule, cuz even blowing one day, can make me backslide, and that would hinder my goals.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

i have a good balanced diet now, but i do still get the odd day where i eat everthing in site, no matter if i'm full or not, i just eat, i binge all day. I find i do that on days i don't work out, i find it much easier to stick to my diet if i've been gym, or been for a run. At the moment i'm injured and finding it hard to keep to my diet, i've eaten a **** load today. I dunno why i do this on the days i don't work out, it's like i'm bored so i just eat for something to do
    "Citius, Altius, Fortius"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Steve Prefontaine

Hospitalized for anorexia. Dealt with binging afterwards. It's a dark road and a long way back, but I've learned a great deal through the process. As dark as it was, anything that makes you appreciate life and yourself and the strength you posess is valuable, in its own way. I'm done with it, but I'm not done with changing myself for the better, day by day.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

can't say i really know how to deal with it, most days i'm strick and won't break at all, then others i just break, dunno how to stop it either. After i've eaten loads i feel like ****, kinda hating myself, and that just makes me wanna eat more

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Steve Prefontaine

I was anorexic for a while. I went from about 230 or so lbs down to 135 lbs in around 8 months. I looked sickly. It wasn't cool. I finally realized what I was doing wasn't working because I was so small and my physique was still fucked up. Changing my habits wasn't too hard for me actually. I make pretty drastic changes to my lifestyle fairly regularly and don't have much of a problem adapting. I suppose it's a gift.

Originally posted by Tre Bong
    can't say i really know how to deal with it, most days i'm strick and won't break at all, then others i just break, dunno how to stop it either. After i've eaten loads i feel like ****, kinda hating myself, and that just makes me wanna eat more

what's your trigger? i know you said boredom, but is it possibly your binging to either stuff soemthing down or fill something up? emotionally i mean?

i do sometimes eat more under emotional stress, i dunno why

coping mechanism.

you might wanna look at figuring out other ways to deal with it. or as girly as this sounds, keep a journal you can write your thoughts in, to help you get in tune with what's going on inside.

i know for me it's all about control. when i feel like i'm not in control of what's going on around me (usually when it's something highly stressful and negative) that's when my appetite totally shuts down. for me it took learning that i don't control jacksquat, and forcing myself to eat something anyways, to start learning how to cope. Cuz strong people arne't hungry people. (somewhere along the line i learnt that strong people don't need to eat).

My sister is/was anorexic, and bulimic.

I've gone through cycles of fasting ang binging, but never really had a problem I don't think.

yeah the journal is kinda girlie but i like the idea, thanx. I kinda binged out today, i was pretty strong up until i had to cook diner, then i went and ate loads as i cooked dinner, and i feel pretty fat. I'm scared i'm gonna go back to being 240 plus again, i've worked so hard to get to 177 and it seems like it's slipping, it's a horrible feeling
    Last edited by Tre Bong; 09-11-2002 at 05:47 PM.

are you eating enough through your day?

I'd think most people know my story by now. Anorexic for nearly a year, dieted down to an emaciated (but very, very shredded) 148. Looked sick. Was severely depressed at the same time, if not suicidal then tremendously lonely and isolated.

... got myself out of it, slowly. Binged and purged for a few months, then just binged.... it's been almost two years (2 years this december) since I made the turnaround, and about a year since I've considered myself "cured".

I guess I could give more details, but this seems horribly self-indulgent.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I don't know why didn't expect to see people with eating disorders here. I guess I just have this image of health conscious people posting in here. I guess in a way it's been how some people have overcome their disorders.

I've always been the fat kid through high school and college. By HS I weighed a very fatty 220, by the time I finished college I was 310 lb. I enjoy food, have used it to cope with stress, (and create more stress in the process) and have always been very sedintary. About 5 years ago I discovered that if I ran I'd drop weight. I started off slowly, then as I dropped weight I increased distance. I obsessed over this and started marathon training with a vengeance. within a year I went down to 178 and about 8% bf. Running became everything to me. I overtrained and tore and screwed up my knee, which pretty much ruined any chance of me doing long distance running again. This depressed me severly. So I ate. I ate alot. I also found myself creeping up to 240 lbs. Thanks to a lot of help I'm now back to about 195. I don't think I want to go back to 178. I'm wearing the clothes I wore when I was around 180. I still fight the return of the fat kid. Hey, It was only just April that I weighed in at 240. If I stress now, I go lift weights. I guess you substitute your vices with something that isn't a vice.

Tre Bong...I hear you man. It's scary to think that you'll go back.

B, what was it like to gain all that weight?...you're like what...a solid and lean 220 now? That's amazing. My cuz was anorexic and when I was running a whole bunch my family thought I was about to go his route...nah, loved food too much. My trainer tells me I'm probably going to start gaining a little weight, and that scares the sh*t out of me. I trust him completely though. He got me through what seemed like a bottomless pit I'd been stuck in for 2 years. So I guess I'm more cautious than anything.

Well, sh*t, that was cathartic. Nothing more to say now. Haha.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

A. F.
    i have an eating disorder..

i have to eat something before i go to bed... usually something tasty like a sandwich or somethin..

Originally posted by Spawn_X

i have to eat something before i go to bed... usually something tasty like a sandwich or somethin..
    You, sir, are an assface.

'nuff said.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

A Fortnight Dead
    Given the tone and subject matter of the thread, I also find this comment disturbing. If you were merely trying to lighten a serious discussion, then your statement, while somewhat tactless, is forgivable. If, however, this was not your intention, then I must concur with ectx.

Please do not consider my words a flame. I do not intend to provoke, nor do I wish to insult you. I just am bothered by the thought of someone intentionally making light of what is a very serious issue, one with which many on this board have struggled, including myself.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

i noticed i'm more likely to binge on the days i don't work out, if i work , i feel strong like i've done something and i don't wanna loose that feeling so i stick to my diet. If i don't work out i find myself snacking a lot, i have no idea why. I'm injured at the moment so i can't work out, i've eaten quite a bit more over the past week, i should be able to work from monday so hopefully i can get back on my diet