The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Is it possible to overtrain on Cardio?

Last edited by _8_Ball; 01-07-2005 at 08:49 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes, the extra cardio will still help you loose weight. It's up to you really to decide how much is enough and to what benefit. If your dieting, over time your body will start trying to preserve it self. The cardio doesn't just burn some calories, but after that morning walk you have reboosted your metabolism for the next 24-48 hours. Thats really what its all about. Convincing your body to eat itself when there's no food to burn for energy. Low impact exercise is just one of my tricks to trick your body.

For me 1 hour walking 4 days a week was enough and I lost 120lbs in 10 months.

The addition of cardio can be a very effective catalyst for fat loss. But more isn't always better especially if you train natural. Frequent, intense and long sessions of cardio can drastically raise cortisol levels, which will ultimately cause loss of some major LBM.

I would limit cardio sessions to 3-4 (max) hour-long sessions at a low to moderate-intensity. Let your diet take care of the majority of fat loss.

One thing you do not want to do is to drastically reduce calories and increase the frequency and/or duration of cardio at the same time. Start doing as much cardio as you plan on doing then a week or two later start reducing calories...

Last edited by _8_Ball; 01-07-2005 at 08:49 AM.

BTW... congrats eclips1 on the fat loss... 120lbs in 10 months... WOW... :-)

yeh u can overtrain on cardio, its called fainting.. if you falll off the machine and wake up with people starring at you.. you've overtrained

heheh jock227... I guess I'm not over training yet then... :-)

Starting all over again :(
    ehhh, i only do about 20min 2 times a week. Cardio is just too boring

Cardio? Boring? It depends on what you're doing, where you're doing it and who you're doing it with I mean shiit..there's thousands of different types of cardio. Sex being one of them. Are you saying sex is boring? Done and done.

Starting all over again :(
    Well, you know what I mean. The treadmill and bike are what im talking about

Spice it up. Play some basketball or something.

I think you can overdo cardio. Marathoners are overdoing cardio, IMO. Close looks at the cells of marathoners' leg muscles reveal horrendous damage, some of the cells even being turned inside out.

If you take it to far (marathoners being way extreme) then it will definately inhibit muscle growth, at best, and more likely, will eat away at the muscles you have already built.

Ever see someone in the olympics who runs more than 800 meters with any muscle mass? Me neither.

It depends upon what you are looking for. If you just want to be skinny, then by all means, run 5 or 10 miles a day, swim an hour, and take a couple of aerobics classes. However, if you want to be muscular and lean, then doing a ton of cardio is not the way to go.

Limited cardio, watching your diet, and building up enough muscle to raise your daily caloric needs are good ways to be lean, I think. May consider training like a sprinter. They by far have the best physiques of any track athletes in the olympics. So that might be something to consider too.

But what the Hell do I know, my idea of cardio is walking to the fridge, or when I am real energetic, maybe pulling a weighted sled around. I have not run in forever, and have no intentions to unless a bear is after me. And if the bear looks faster, I doubt I would bother running then. No sense dying tired.

B.

:withstupi
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Hi _8_Ball,

I'm in the same situation. I walked/run on outside or on my treadmill in the morning for 45 minutes and after work five days a week for seven months and lost 70 pounds. I mostly ate fruits and LOTS of veggies. The maximum weight I ever lost in one week was three pounds. That's a lot to me. I also drank LOTS of water.

I am in the same routine now as I need to cut 15lbs, but, I am also making sure to drink one or two protein shakes a day and eat some meat. I don't want to lose my hard earned muscle.

Yes, you can do too much and over-train. Listen to your body. If your back starts to hurt then take at least half the day off. Same with your leg muscles. Better to lose a half day or even a whole day of training then to injure yourself and be out of action for a LONG time.
    Gerry
    My Avatar is not what I really look like! LOL! No....REALLY!

I'm with Benchmonster on this one. Coming from a guy who use to do marathon training, I can tell you that you can def. overtrain. The kind of cardio you're doing doesn't seem to be in the realm of overtraining. When I overtrained I would clock in 60 miles a week on road and would oftern follow a hill workout with a distance workout. Something tells me you're not doing this, so don't worry aabout it. 3-4 times a week of medium intensity cardio is all you need.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.