Thread: Compound exercises w/ back problems?

Wannabebig New Member

Compound exercises w/ back problems?

I've been lifting weights for about 2.5 years now, and pretty much all of my progress was made in the first 9 months of lifting. I haven't progressed any in size, and only very little in strength. I'll admit that a lot of that is because of a somewhat inconsistent routine, but I've also hit a plateau. Now, that said, I am pretty happy with my body right now, and I'm certainly no bodybuilder -- that's not the look I want. I'd just like a little more power, a little more mass. Here's me about 6 months ago, but I look exactly the same (and am the same strength) right now:

I know it's time to change my routine, and I'm ready and willing to do so. The WannaBeBig routines look great. Unfortunately, I have pretty chronic lower back problems, and that keeps me from doing almost all the really important compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, etc.)

Can you guys recommend anything to help or exercises I could do instead? I've even considered the idea that the compound exercises would HELP more than they hurt. I know when I first started lifting and my back problems weren't that bad (just showed up as a pain in my hip), doing squats eliminated the pain.

So, what do you think?

Whats the scar on your chest from?

I say experiment, start light and see how it feels.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

Where did these chronic pains stem from?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

do you have disc herniations ?

Somebody told me that doing things like deadlifts that make your lower back thicker and stronger would actually help lower back problems. Is there any truth to this?
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

Wannabebig New Member
    The scar you see on my chest is from open-heart surgery I had when I was five. (The most common and minor type of heart surgery there is -- I'm completely normal now, not even rated for insurance).

The back problems are pretty much uncaused as far as anyone can tell, but lately I've had an expert tell me he thinks they're linked with the surgery. I don't know how well you can see it in the picture, but if you look carefully, you'll notice my body is kind of "twisted up." My neck isn't straight, my shoulders are off, and my torso is bent. He thinks this "twisting" is a big symptom of the problem...

Basically, he thinks that when I was cut open and put back together, things grew together a little bit off, creating minor imbalances in my muscle structure that just keep getting worse and worse.
    Last edited by Butter; 09-12-2002 at 07:11 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Originally posted by LAM
    do you have disc herniations ?
    No, no disc herniations. All X-rays have revealed no bone abnormalities, and no visible muscle abnormalities. It's just that my back muscles cramp like bloody hell, and it hurts some kinda bad.

Wannabebig New Member
    Originally posted by ArjKing
    Somebody told me that doing things like deadlifts that make your lower back thicker and stronger would actually help lower back problems. Is there any truth to this?
    This is what I'm thinking, praying, and hoping for. Only problem is, the muscles tend to go apesh*t before I can strengthen them enough to feel good.

I would go consult a physical therapist before you go trying to fix it yourself. yeah i can tell now that you look a little twisted. But it just looks like you are putting all your weight on one leg and leaning a little bit.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal