Thread: deadlifts squats and backpain

Hybrid View

deadlifts squats and backpain

For the past few weeks I've been doing deadlifts on back day and squats on leg day within the same week. I've progressed on each one each week. At first I thought my back was getting stronger, the muscles themselves grew alot. But lately I've been noticing some 'uncomfortableness' in my lower back. I notice it while standing or sitting for awhile, riding a bike. I think I may be going too heavy on the deadlifts, sacrificing form for more weight. Should I stop doing deadlifts all together? (I can't give up squats). Or should I do deadlifts lighter or every other week.? I don't want to mess up my back, deadlifts are suposed to strengthen it, not hurt it. Any suggestions?
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

Re: deadlifts squats and backpain

Originally posted by ArjKing
    For the past few weeks I've been doing deadlifts on back day and squats on leg day within the same week. I've progressed on each one each week. At first I thought my back was getting stronger, the muscles themselves grew alot. But lately I've been noticing some 'uncomfortableness' in my lower back. I notice it while standing or sitting for awhile, riding a bike. I think I may be going too heavy on the deadlifts, sacrificing form for more weight. Should I stop doing deadlifts all together? (I can't give up squats). Or should I do deadlifts lighter or every other week.? I don't want to mess up my back, deadlifts are suposed to strengthen it, not hurt it. Any suggestions?
    Well, from personal experience, as I am going through some back issues at the moment and I have been for the last couple of months, take some time off from squatting and deadlifting and see how you feel. What happened with me is that I hurt my back squatting (not an acute injury, but over time as my weights got pretty high for me). I took a couple weeks off from squatting and deadlifting and it did not get better. I am now going to be in physical therapy sessions twice a week for the rest of the month and into next month to get me back to normal.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Maybe thats whats going on with me. Have you figured out why it happened? Were you not using proper form or were the weights more than you could handle? Does it hurt alot now? It must if you're going to therapy for it. Mine kind of just aches from time to time. But it never really did that before.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

Something like that is happening to me. I do squats and SLDL on leg days (Wed) and deadlifts on back day (Fri). After a few weeks my lower back started feeling a bit uncomfortable, so what I do now is I do deadlifts every other week. My lower back has been feeling better so far.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Maybe thats whats going on with me. Have you figured out why it happened? Were you not using proper form or were the weights more than you could handle? Does it hurt alot now? It must if you're going to therapy for it. Mine kind of just aches from time to time. But it never really did that before.
    I was using near proper form with weight that was apparently a little to much for me. The key words being "near" and "little too much." It has never hurt a lot, on a scale of 1-10 I would give it like a 2, but it has gone on for too long and it has just really become a nuisance. So basically it aches all the time, just enough to bother me.

Why it happened? Well, apparently I have very tight hip flexors and that caused my body to have to compensate for that, during things like squatting, by putting more pressure on my spine in the sacral region.

Starting all over again :(
    how much weight were you using?

Originally posted by Jilla82
    how much weight were you using?
    I had gotten up to 270 for 5 reps. Not that much, but quite a bit more than I had done in the past.

These were to true parallel.
    Last edited by NateDogg; 09-11-2002 at 07:23 PM.

I really hope your back gets better NateDog. None of this bodes well for me. I think this Friday I will replace squats with some leg extentions or something, and see how I feel. My back aches right now. It is totally different now from the kind of pain that I would feel the day after doing deadlifts. That was a DOMS kind of thing where it just hurt when i would round my back like to touch my toes. Now it just kind of aches when I set down in certain positions. I would say a 1 or 2 on a 10 point scale.

Originally posted by NateDogg
    I am now going to be in physical therapy sessions twice a week for the rest of the month and into next month to get me back to normal.
    I'd be very curious to know what they are having you do at physical therapy. ie what kind of exercises and the like. Maybe you could post about it later or write me privately?
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

I'd be very curious to know what they are having you do at physical therapy. ie what kind of exercises and the like. Maybe you could post about it later or write me privately?
    Well, I am not sure exactly how, but the idea is to get the placement of all the "stuff" in my lower back back to normal, whilst doing some hip flexor stretching so that the problem does not repeat itself. If I can get anything specific and explainable out of it, I will post it later.

Don't deadlift every week!!!

I know this will not be popular, but it is true. Deadlifts take more than they give back, meaning they take more out of you than they build up on you. There are exceptional people, who have long arms and legs, and short, strong torso's who can deadlift every week and be fine, but those folks are rare, and mostly seem to live in Finland, for some reason. (Ano Turtainen, Youko Ahola come to mind)

Don't drop squats from the workouts. They are the cornerstone. But on back day, do good mornings for 3 workouts of the month, and then deadlift once per month. Your back will thank you, and your deadlift will likely go up on this regimen.

Also, make sure and do a ton of accessory work on the posterior chain of muscles - low back, glutes, and hams. Because those muscles cannot be seen in the mirror, most people neglect them, to their detriment.

Work the posterior chain with reverse hypers, weighted regular hypers, glute/ham raises, Dimmel Deadlifts, Romanian Deadlifts, pullthroughs, hang cleans, and those sorts of exercises.

And work abs every workout. Hit them hard using weight as resistance. Your midsection must be strong all the way around to avoid pain and injury.

Hope some of this helps.

B.

thanks benchmonster, that's some solid advice. exactly what i was looking for.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal