Thread: Opinions wanted

Wannabebig Member

Opinions wanted

I've been a long time reader here and incorporated a lot of what i learned into my workouts but am posting for the first time now. Currently my routine looks like this:

Day 1
    Legs:
    - squats: 3 warm up sets, 2 real, 10 reps
    - extensions: 3 x 10
    - leg curls: 3 x 10

Forearms:
    - curls 3 x failure
    - overhand curls: 2 x 10

Day 2
    Chest:
    - bench: 3 warm up, 2 real, 10 reps
    - close grip bench: 2 x 10
    - DB incline press: 3 x 10
    - skullcrushers: 3 x 10

Day 3
    Back:
    - deadlifts: 2 warmup, 2 real, 10 reps
    - BB rows: 4 x 8-10
    - shrugs: 3 x 12
    - chins: 50

Biceps:
    - BB curls: 4 x 10
    - preacher: 3 x 8

Day 4
    Shoulders:
    - front rows: 3 x 10
    - DB press: 3 x 10
    - lateral raises: 2 x 12

Currently I'm 5'10, 164, ~10 % bf (i think). So if you were me would you change anything in this routine? Would you go for a bulking or cutting diet?

Thanks for any responses.
    Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3

Wannabebig Member
    Mmmm I generally dont like to change anything to this scale coz there's lots of variables to consider when making any kind of change but I will have a go for you.

Im going to answer your question with another one bulk or cut? that depends on what your wanting first. Its generally good practice not to do both at the same time or else one will impeded the other unless you are using a way of training called meso cycles.

If your intention is to bulk up then I would say your rep range is not good, all bit it I have no idea how experienced or strong you are, maybe coming down to the 8 or 6 rep range and working with around 80% of your max RM is a good place to start. To build you have to have some degree of failure at some point and I dont see too much of that in your routine.

The only thing I would change is to add more coumpound mevements and less isolation for now perhaps give urself a good 2 months on heavy weights with a large number of coumpound moves then increase your rep range and do more isolation moves to add ur shape thats something that has always worked well for me in the past.

Well hopes all this helps

Enjoy dude

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I would cut the direct shoulder work down. I would do 2 sets of 8-10 on side lateral raises and I'd do it on my chest day. I've posted this numerous times in the past, but this is the routine I would suggest:

Sunday
    Flat Bench - 4 sets of 6-8 reps (fail sometimes, not often)
    Skullcrushers - 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    Side Lateral Raise - 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    Lats - 3 sets of 8-10 reps (any type of pullup or row)

Tuesday
    Deadlifts - 4 sets of 3 reps (any style, do each rep individually)
    Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings - 3 sets of 8-10 reps
    Abs - 3 sets of 8-10 reps
    Shrugs - 2 sest of 6-8 reps (if you feel like it)

Friday
    Squats - 5 sets of 3 reps (use a very wide stance, and sometimes wider still)
    Leg Press - 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings - 3 sets of 8-10 reps
    Abs - 3 sets of 8-10 reps
    Calves - 3 sets of 6-8 reps (if you feel like it)
    Last edited by Saturday Fever; 09-23-2002 at 04:06 PM.

pics don't work
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Defkon1
    I have no idea how experienced or strong you are
    I've been working out seriously for 4 months. Strength wise now I'm at 215 bench, 300 squat and 330 deadlift.

My goal now is to add more mass, would anyone suggest cutting before trying to add bulk?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar

Re: Opinions wanted

Originally posted by gr390ry
    I've been a long time reader here and incorporated a lot of what i learned into my workouts but am posting for the first time now. Currently my routine looks like this:

Day 1
    Legs:
    - squats: 3 warm up sets, 2 real, 10 reps
    - extensions: 3 x 10
    - leg curls: 3 x 10

Forearms:
    - curls 3 x failure
    - overhand curls: 2 x 10

Day 2
    Chest:
    - bench: 3 warm up, 2 real, 10 reps
    - close grip bench: 2 x 10
    - DB incline press: 3 x 10
    - skullcrushers: 3 x 10

Day 3
    Back:
    - deadlifts: 2 warmup, 2 real, 10 reps
    - BB rows: 4 x 8-10
    - shrugs: 3 x 12
    - chins: 50

Biceps:
    - BB curls: 4 x 10
    - preacher: 3 x 8

Day 4
    Shoulders:
    - front rows: 3 x 10
    - DB press: 3 x 10
    - lateral raises: 2 x 12

Currently I'm 5'10, 164, ~10 % bf (i think). So if you were me would you change anything in this routine? Would you go for a bulking or cutting diet?

Thanks for any responses.
    Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3

You might want to add a few thigs into your routine. I see your doing your tri's the same day as chest and that is okay. The only thing I think you should throw some more Tricep exercises into that day.

-Tricep cable push downs
    -behind the head DB extensions
    -Reverse Cable Push Downs

And on your back day I would throw some seat cable rows in there

There as absolutely no reason to add anything.

I like the routine. I'd make some minor changes (sub an SLDL for the leg curls, prolly drop the preacher curls, maybe change the order of some things... and mayby combine legs and shoulders to get anothe rday off... but none of it is necessary.)

Eat a lot, and keep adding weight to the bar.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    Paul he is doing only 1 movement that isolates the Tri's why would he not benefit from adding another movement, like one of the ones I listed?

Originally posted by duque21
    Paul he is doing only 1 movement that isolates the Tri's why would he not benefit from adding another movement, like one of the ones I listed?
    Although none of them "isolate" the tri's. He is doing: close-grip presses (largely regarded a tri exercise), bench presses and incline bench presses, all using tri's. That's plenty, IMHO. He also works them again on shoulder day with DB presses.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by duque21

Are you the isolation king or something? Is there a rule that you must isolate a muscle to work it? He does bench, that hits the triceps, he does close-grip bench, even more emphasis, the he does db inclines, more triceps work, then he does skullcrushers, direct tricep work. You are giving poor advice with your "throw" this in or "throw" that in. At least give a quasi-intelligent reason behind your suggestions. You will be hard-pressed though because they are poor suggestions.

I think the routine is pretty good, other than 7 sets for biceps right after back. Might be a bit of overkill, but not gonna hurt you much. Otherwise I would think you could make decent gains, even without frivoulous additional isolation movements to hit muscles you've already worked with a moderate volume routine.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer