The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Raise The Fist

Severe Back Pain

Im 16, and have a herniated disk at L5. I have this injury for like 3 years now, and i stopped lifting for 10 months last year due to back pain, until i was better, and started lifting again for the past 2-3 months. For the last 6 months my back was fine, no pain or anything, I could play sports and stuff and lift weights, and only occasionally would i feel some back pain.

However, today I felt this pain in my lower back that ive never felt before, and im positive its not pain from muscle soreness or a strain, coz it hurt like hell!! and a lot different than pain i used to feel. I felt it for like 2 seconds when i was in a slightly bent position, and it hit me at the left side of my lower back. Later on in the day I felt it in my actual spine, and its being hurting a lot the past hour, i mean i can barely stand up straight without feeling pain.

Im really worried that ive made my slipped disk injury worse, and im not sure what to do. if i go to the doctor, he will probably tell me to stop lifting again, which is the last thing i wanna do.

what i wanted to ask is if i can be sure that its the herniated disk thats causing the pain, and if the pain doesnt go away will i need surgery?

lastly, can any1 suggest what i should actually do about this? should i stop lifting if the pain doesnt go away?
    can any1 here who has experienced this injury give me some info on how they dealt with it?

Thnx a lot

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you already know you have a past herniated disc, diagnosed by MRI, then you may well have aggrevated your condition. Disc herniations are often painful while standing and bending over at the waist, pain may or may not go down the either leg. You should limit your exercise that may further injure the area and if it doesn't get better I'd suggest you go back to the doc and get it checked out. Disc herniations are nasty to deal with, your most likely always going to be "vulnerable" at the L5 region and it can be a re-occuring problem for ya. Surgery should only be an option as a last result IMHO.

Good luck bro!
    "You can take the red pill and stay in Wonderland and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember that all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more."

Dck, what's the traction device that can be used for lumbar problems? It's a four letter abbreviation, I think. You lie prone and hold on to two handles while traction is placed on your legs or hips, I believe. I talked to a man today who was told by a spine surgeon that he needed surgery for a herniated lumbar disk. After completing 20 treatments, the man said a follow-up MRI showed no disk herniation. Plausible?

Vax-D , yes, plausible, very expensive though, but worth a shot b4 surgery IMHO.
    "You can take the red pill and stay in Wonderland and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember that all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more."

Yeah, when the ortho surgeon puts on the permit that there's only a 50% chance of getting pain relief and paralysis is one of the complications listed on the permit, I'd go for the Vax-D first.

Dr Boudreau did his treatments in Grand Prairie. Would hanging with inversion boots do the same thing? My dad has a rotating "table" that looks like a cot. You lean back to get into the inverted position after hooking the boots on a bar. That would allow you to alternate position quickly, like the cycles that the described here.
    Last edited by Delphi; 09-13-2002 at 07:11 PM.

Delphi, I doubt the inversion boots would do the same thing, although I guess it would be worth a try? Only thought that comes to mind is you may adversely alter your normal spinal curvatures, maybe, but I have no evidence of this. I'm not an expert in Vax-D, it's mostly done by DO's. It's very expensive and not covered by most insurances... from what I understand it's like $6,000 bucks for 6-8 weeks?? DC's have been using this same technique for dozens of years, we call it Flexion-Distraction Technique. I think the reason Vax-D is becoming more popular is because it's coming from the "medical" community via MDs/DOs. A flexion/distraction table allows you to be strapped in as well, and the motorized table flexions up and down, creating a pumping motion in the LB area, I've seen about a 60%-70% improvement as well, but we only charge $20-$30 a session. I don't think the boots will work also because your not going to get that 20 minutes or so of "pumping" effect by just hanging static from your ankles/feet.

You guys need to learn to market better so you can make the big bucks. LOL $6000? That's incredible! My guess as to the reason it's not covered by insurance is that the DC version works as well and is cheaper on the order of 200X.

LOL Delphi... yea not only do we need to market better... we need to do ALOT of things better as a whole.. we tend to fight & bicker amoungs ourselves enuff that I vote our profession as: "The absoulte most F***** up on the planet." Probably the only things thats kept us around is the patients/consumers.

Raise The Fist
    Originally posted by DcK
    If you already know you have a past herniated disc, diagnosed by MRI, then you may well have aggrevated your condition. Disc herniations are often painful while standing and bending over at the waist, pain may or may not go down the either leg. You should limit your exercise that may further injure the area and if it doesn't get better I'd suggest you go back to the doc and get it checked out. Disc herniations are nasty to deal with, your most likely always going to be "vulnerable" at the L5 region and it can be a re-occuring problem for ya. Surgery should only be an option as a last result IMHO.

Good luck bro!

The way i see "limiting my exercise that may further injure the area", is to stop lifting weights. is that what you're suggesting? or do u mean dont do any particular exercises that may hurt?

About always being vulnerable at the L5 region, im starting to be aware of that. if i quit lifting now due to the back pain, its gona be the second time in the past 2 years, and ive only been lifting for the past 2-3 months now! so im worried that this is whats gona happen all the time..

my dad suggested taking me to a chiropractic for therapy, and ive also heard from a friend who was recently diagnosed with slipped disk injury that accupuncture helped him a lot.
    what do u guys think about these methods? will they help me get rid of this problem permanently or are they just temporary solutions?

thnx a lot

Originally posted by RainerG9

The way i see "limiting my exercise that may further injure the area", is to stop lifting weights. is that what you're suggesting? or do u mean dont do any particular exercises that may hurt?

Yes, I'm saying your young... and you don't want to permanently injure yourself, so if it hurts while lifting, IMO it would be best to not lift for a while until it gets better. Of course you can do upper body and other things...

About always being vulnerable at the L5 region, im starting to be aware of that. if i quit lifting now due to the back pain, its gona be the second time in the past 2 years, and ive only been lifting for the past 2-3 months now! so im worried that this is whats gona happen all the time..

Sorry bro! You can know your not alone, if that helps!

my dad suggested taking me to a chiropractic for therapy, and ive also heard from a friend who was recently diagnosed with slipped disk injury that accupuncture helped him a lot.
    what do u guys think about these methods? will they help me get rid of this problem permanently or are they just temporary solutions?

I have seen very limited succes via acupuncture and disc herniation, although it's not going to hurt you and you could try? I'd recommend you find a GOOD chiropractor, make sure you find one that's worked with many people involving disc herniations and I'd recommend they do the technique called "Flexion/Distraction" You can get referral from your dad, friends, etc., or you can start calling on the phone, tell them you have a disc herniation and wanted to know if the chiro did Flexion/Distraction technique? Just be cautious, not all chiro's are created equally IMO.

Good luck!

thnx a lot

Rainer, are sure it is a herniation and not a bulging disc? Have you indeed had it MRI'd?

I only ask because I delt with a bulging disc at L5-S1 a number of years ago. I lived with the pain for a couple of years before seeing a neurologist about it (the pain flared up so badly that I was finally bed ridden for a week). At that time I was ready to do what ever needed to be done - from an epidural injection to going under the knife, anything to fix the problem.

My neurologist set an appointment for me to get an epidural, then put me on some pain meds and some 800mg tabs of Ibuprofen to see if it could knock down the inflammation. The next day after taking the Ibuprofen, I was walking around feeling great, and my back has been great since. I talked to my neurologist about this and he said that there may have been so much inflammation and aggravation at the site that some time off my feet and the anti-inflammatories may have been all that was needed to do the trick. We canceled the epidural, and he put me into physical therapy for a month. With a bad lower back, it is very important to have strong abdominal muscles and well stretched hamstrings.

By the way, I have been in on a number of different back surgeries, and it is certainly nothing that you want to have done to you unless it is the last resort.

Raise The Fist
    Hey guys, first of all, thnx a lot for the replies.

Craig: yes ive had an MRI (about 2 years ago), and to be honest, im not sure if its herniated or just bulged, but i would probably say bulged.
    I havent been to the gym since thursday, and ive done some physiotherapy the past 3 days, but i dont think it will help at all. i still get the pain now and then, and today i felt it for the first time in my glutes, and my back also feels very stiff.

Im thinking about getting into swimming, every doctor i visited said it would help. This medication u took also seems pretty helpful, ill mention this Ibuprofen to my doctor.

By the way Craig, are these various back surgeries uve been through related to your disk problems? or do they have nothing to do with it. also, after taking this medication and doing physio, have u never experienced any problems with ur bulging disk, hasnt the problem resumed after some time? (coz thats what happening to me right now)

thnx a lot
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." - Che
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man" - Che
    "Democracy today is the same as in the days of ancient Greece, freedom for the slave owners."
    - Lenin

First of all, the back surgeries that I was involved with were because of the line of work I was in. I used to sell orthopedic implants, and I sold a couple of different back lines. When the surgeon went to use my product, I was present at the surgery to make sure that everything went smoothly and answer any questions that the surgeon might have had.

As far as Ibuprofen goes, what my doc prescribed for me was just a greater dosage then what you get over the counter in such meds as Advil or Motrin. The Ibuprofen acts as not only a pain killer, but an anti-inflammatory as well, and we believed that the high dosage of anti-inflammatories contributed to my bulging disk receding back into place.

I really haven't had any other problems, as I recall, since then.

Max dose of ibuprofen = 2400 mg a day. That's a dozen of the over-the-counter caplets. Usually done as 4 pills, three times a day. Gotta be careful that it doesn't cause gastritis.

Raise The Fist
    Thats good to here that those surgeries werent actually operated on you Craig, (thats what i thought when reading the post. )

thnx for pointing out the max dosage Delphi, ill keep that in mind, i can do without gastritis, got enough problems already.

By the way Craig, u mentioned that u did some physiotherapy for a month. what exactly did u do? what kind of therapy?

thnx
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." - Che
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man" - Che
    "Democracy today is the same as in the days of ancient Greece, freedom for the slave owners."
    - Lenin

Lets see, the PT that I did was focused on hamstring stretches and abdominal strengthening. There was also some training on how to properly pick things up(to minimize back risk) and how to get out of a car(it sounds silly, but I guess there is even a slight back risk there, too). That was pretty much it.