Thread: Heavy/Light Workouts.. Opinions?

Heavy/Light Workouts.. Opinions?

As a few of you guys know this is what I am currently employing and I am wondering what you guys think about it. I got chris mason's opinion already. And a few others.

What is is basically splitting up the bodyparts in each workout into light and heavy.

LIGHT: basically going 3-4 reps shy of failure, and a lighter weight. Just intended to stimulate the musclegroup without taxing the CNS. Rep range is 5-8.

HEAVY: basically going to muscular failure, and as heavy as possible. Intended for maximal strength, and thats about it. Rep range is 1-5. Basically for maximal strength, to failure.

2 weeks of heavy/light workouts would look like this:

Pull: heavy back, light biceps
    Push: light chest, heavy biceps
    Legs: heavy quads, light hamstrings

Pull: light back, heavy biceps
    Push: heavy chest, light biceps
    Legs: light quads, heavy hamstrings

What do you guys think about this? So far I REALLY enjoy it and I think that its going to be very effective. Light sessions are more geared toward hypertrophy and TUT and heavy sessions are more geared towards maximal strength.

i find it best to do a weight that you can do 8 times and no more.. go down to 6 reps if you have to and wait a min inbetween sets... do 3 of each so 8-8-8 or go down 2 each time... until i do each set 12 times and then up the weight

Puttn:

No offense man but I didnt ask what people liked to do best, I asked what you thought of heavy/light. Thanks.

Re: Heavy/Light Workouts.. Opinions?

Originally posted by MonStar
    LIGHT: basically going 3-4 reps shy of failure, and a lighter weight. Just intended to stimulate the musclegroup without taxing the CNS. Rep range is 5-8.

HEAVY: basically going to muscular failure, and as heavy as possible. Intended for maximal strength, and thats about it. Rep range is 1-5. Basically for maximal strength, to failure.

2 weeks of heavy/light workouts would look like this:

Pull: heavy back, light biceps
    Push: light chest, heavy biceps
    Legs: heavy quads, light hamstrings

Pull: light back, heavy biceps
    Push: heavy chest, light biceps
    Legs: light quads, heavy hamstrings

What do you guys think about this? So far I REALLY enjoy it and I think that its going to be very effective. Light sessions are more geared toward hypertrophy and TUT and heavy sessions are more geared towards maximal strength.
    Believe it or not, this is all very similar to the routine I'm starting today; except I'm doing push/pull and legs each 2x a week, and I'm using a bit more complex method of alternating between the heavy and light days.

However, I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you're trying to do. Varying your focus between hypetrophy and maximal strength week by week has shown itself to be very effective, since the two qualities are highly interrelated.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Re: Re: Heavy/Light Workouts.. Opinions?

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Believe it or not, this is all very similar to the routine I'm starting today; except I'm doing push/pull and legs each 2x a week, and I'm using a bit more complex method of alternating between the heavy and light days.
    Wow, really? Now thats interesting. What kind of complex method are you advocating between light and heavy days? Out of curiosity? I mean obviously the fundamentals are not going to failure on light days, obviously using lighter weights, etc.

However, I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you're trying to do. Varying your focus between hypetrophy and maximal strength week by week has shown itself to be very effective, since the two qualities are highly interrelated.
    Okay Matt, thats good to hear. I too strongly believe that maximal strength and hypertrophy are very related. I mean look at how close the rep schemes are. Ideal 1-5 reps for strength, 5-8 for hypertrophy. Its almost inevitable to not train for both at the same time.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    And the difference between 1-5 and 5-8?

You guessed it, kids, TUT.

Re: Re: Re: Heavy/Light Workouts.. Opinions?

Wow, really? Now thats interesting. What kind of complex method are you advocating between light and heavy days? Out of curiosity? I mean obviously the fundamentals are not going to failure on light days, obviously using lighter weights, etc.

Not really alternating between heavy and light days per se, but heavy and light blocks (mesocycles) of loading-- four weeks each.

It gets complicated because I'm distributing the total training load across each of the four weeks, with ~24% on week 1, ~35% on 2, ~26% on 3, and ~15% on week 4. This ensures that the loading stays in managable amounts and time is given to recovery.

Okay Matt, thats good to hear. I too strongly believe that maximal strength and hypertrophy are very related. I mean look at how close the rep schemes are. Ideal 1-5 reps for strength, 5-8 for hypertrophy. Its almost inevitable to not train for both at the same time.

I agree. The only difference will be the amount of work devoted to each in a given block.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Re: Re: Re: Re: Heavy/Light Workouts.. Opinions?

[B]Originally posted by MonStar
    Not really alternating between heavy and light days per se, but heavy and light blocks (mesocycles) of loading-- four weeks each.
    Oh okay Matt, sounds good. Ill be checking out your journal as usual so Ill see it there.

It gets complicated because I'm distributing the total training load across each of the four weeks, with ~24% on week 1, ~35% on 2, ~26% on 3, and ~15% on week 4. This ensures that the loading stays in managable amounts and time is given to recovery.

I agree. The only difference will be the amount of work devoted to each in a given block.
    Wow, you were right about complicated, jeez. Good luck with it Matt.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever

Agreed SF.

Thats why when I am training in the 5-8 rep range on my light days Ill go very slow and deliberate trying to extend my sets as long as possible with the lighter weights.

but training light isnt any fun, its like the soul of training to fight for those 6reps.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    why not a totally light week alternated with a totally heavy week?

that way your nervous system has an entire light week to recover from the heavy week

Do you need to go 3-4 reps under failure or just 1-2 ?

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

So the tension doesn't play a role either? Just the time?

So the tension doesn't play a role either? Just the time?

Hehe good point Matt, never really thought about this. I dont know why the hell they call it time under tension (TUT), thats pretty wierd actually.

Just made that point because Dr. Siff and myself had a pretty drawn-out conversation about it on Supertraining awhile back. We came up with some pretty interesting stuff.

Just made that point because Dr. Siff and myself had a pretty drawn-out conversation about it on Supertraining awhile back. We came up with some pretty interesting stuff.
    Thats nuts that you have discussed things with Dr. Siff Matt, wow. What is it about the light days, 5-8 rep range, that causes hypertrophy. Can this be taken as far to say that the 1-5 rep range will do NOTHING for hypertrophy?

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Nothing? I wouldn't go that far.

Worthwhile? I'd say that it is not the way to go.

You're reaching a point now, genetically, where strength should probably take precendence in your routine. I could be wrong, but you probably don't have much more size to gain. Unless you decide to add body fat.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Heavy/Light Workouts.. Opinions?

[/B]
    Powerman, I love how you apply the 'Mensa troll' to your workouts so that - not only are you training and stimulating your muscles - but you get to work your brain as well... Interesting stuff.

You're reaching a point now, genetically, where strength should probably take precendence in your routine. I could be wrong, but you probably don't have much more size to gain. Unless you decide to add body fat.
    Wait are you referring to me SF, sorry I was a bit confused.

If youre referring to me I personally think the opposite for some reason. Well I feel like I have more strength to gain dont get me wrong but I dont think that I have a LOT more strength to gain, put it that way. I just need to make sure that no matter what I stay injury free.

I mean it seems that when guys go extremely heavy they end up getting injured which is a damn shame to be honest. Stuff like that really shouldnt happen. Then they spend the next 6-12 months trying to full recuperate from that injury.

I personally feel like I have a lot more size to gain, I dont know why, just not much more strength to gain.

Well maybe I have some size and strength to gain.

What is it about the light days, 5-8 rep range, that causes hypertrophy. Can this be taken as far to say that the 1-5 rep range will do NOTHING for hypertrophy?
    Not at all.....one of the things brought up was the idea that instead of simply TUT, that its more like a relationship between tension and time; if you were to plot it on a graph, having a line denoting the minimum threshold tension to cause a training effect and with the area under the curve showing the "training effect" so to speak, you could find that a high-tension set of low duration could have the same tension-time as a lower-tension set of longer duration.

The idea was that, in theory, you could do multiple sets of 1-3 reps and obtain an equal or even greater training effect. 10x3 as opposed to 3x10, for example, providing that each example is using (near-)maximal weights for each rep range.

Now granted I've only tried applying this in limited scope, but it has yielded interesting results.

Craig: Yeah, it can be a brain-cruncher sometimes; and to be honest, I think I do it more to alleviate boredom than anything else. Though if it gives results in the gym, its fine with me.