The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member
    First time poster here. After reading many of the posts it seems like my current training philosophy is well reflected here (moderately low volume/high intensity). I'm wondering which direction (if at all) most people pyramid in a low volume workout. For example, in a chest workout (incline BB press), obviously a few warm-up sets are a must before the first working set. So let's say my first working set is done at 150lbs for 8 reps (moderately slow controlled reps which focus on working the chest, not moving the weight). If I truly give that set everything, and then take 1.5 - 2min rest, it seems logical to me that my next set should be done with a lower weight, say 130 (if I hope to get at least 6 quality reps done). Many people swear by the opposite direction of progression (higher weight on 2nd working set). What do you think guys? Also, I find with some body parts and some exercises, I do not need any warm-up sets prior to the 2nd (or 3rd, etc.) set of exercises for a body part (eg. incline DB flyes), but am still not sure which direction to go with the weights. I welcome any thoughts on these questions.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hi Magoo and welcome. I always pyramid up in weight with each set. I always strive to make the last set the heaviest I can handle with good form and reach failure at 6 reps.
    ...it's more friendly for trainers to say, "yeah, we can help you tone up!" rather than saying, "yeah, we can help you get rid of that fat ass!"

Anthony

Heres the best way I have found that works for me..

I think pyramyding is a WASTE OF TIME..

ie I know many people that train 12,10,8,6

WHy would you waste your energy on the 12,10 rep sets ? You are not going to be able to lift as heavy as you can when it comes to 8,5

I normally do 2 VERY light warm up sets for majorcompund movements..

I.e bench press

warm ups 2 x 6 (with a weight I could press for 20 to failure)

I know feel I have warmed up into the movement and go hard into my first 6/7 rep work set.....

Then I give it a good 2/4 minutes and hit the same weight and noirmally get 5/6

Then maybe 2/3 minutes and get either 4 with that weight or drop the weight a touch and get 6/7

That way I lift my heaviest to failure...

If I was going to pyramid I would pyramid down in weight, but always start my heaviest first./...

Just what I found works best for me

Yah, i'm like dan, i don't do cack's style of 5 set progressive warm ups. I do some light flyes and some light bench sets - like 2.

Then, once i feel a cushion of blood in my bobbies i go straight heavy - 8 rep max.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Well, 10 and 12 rep sets are not a waste of energy, actually very important.

I agree that pyramiding is crap, but starting heavy, and then doing a light set or two is very beneficial. Always do your heavy sets first.

About the warm ups, progressive warm ups are better because they better prepare the nervous system.
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 06-10-2001 at 02:59 PM.

ok perhaps what I wrote came accross wrong..

I don't mean 10/12 rep sets are unimportant, I too perform them, but as you say heavuer sets should be performed first...

I actually feel so pumped after a 12 rep set after my heavy sets.. I preogess very well like that..

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Maddog has freakish strength and recovery abilities from one set to the next.

I train like the others. If you have just performed a set to failure, you should not be able to come back and handle the same weight or more weight for equal or more reps. Either drop the weight(like I do) or use the same weight again and get as many reps as you can.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member

multiple warm-ups follow-up

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm looking forward to hearing from some others as well. As for the 2nd part of my question, I haven't seen many comments which address it clearly. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my question. I'm wondering if you do warm-up sets for every exercise of a body part or just the first exercise of a body part. Also, if say you do shoulders before triceps, do you feel the need to do any tricep warm-up sets? Thanks again.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I personally do at least one warmup of the exercise I am about to perform. It helps to get my mind and muscles working on the same page. If I don't have that groove ready and I jump to a heavy weight, I risk injuring myself. I prefer it this way. Some guys only warmup on their first exercise.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Magoo said,
    I'm wondering if you do warm-up sets for every exercise of a body part or just the first exercise of a body part.

*** You could do that, but it would only extend your workout and potentially create fatigue that is not nessacary. I'm being very general here because it would really depend on the type of movement you are going to preform as well as the intensity at which you will be lifting at.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

magoo

are you from japan.. or do you just teach there?.. cause i know an english bodybuilder who just went to japan to teach english
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Wannabebig Member
    I'm from Canada, but have been living and teaching in Japan (Kyoto) for 4 and a half years. So what do you do regarding pyramid direction and successive exercise warm-ups for a single body part?

Maggoo...

My warm ups all depend on how I feel..

I normally preform 2 VERY light warm up sets before my first exercises of a muscle group.. The depending no the exercises after I will just go straight into them or do 1 VERY light set just to get used to the motion..

If I'm going to do another exercise that pretty much works the same muscles, I don't warm up for the second (or third) one. For example, if I have just done a few sets of barbell curls and my next exercise is dumbell hammer curls, I don't do any warm up sets with the hammer curls.