The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Mary Jane

Mary Jane

I know there have been a lot of threads on this. Half the people say one thing, half say another. Hopefully maybe this will actually be a productive thread about marijuana. I have read through the rest of the threads(to the best of my ability) and haven't really found any studies posted. I searched on the net and didn't really find anything, at least that couldn't be questioned. I was wondering if anyone knows of any actual studies on marijuana and the effects of it on my health and weight training. Does it really lower test levels? Does it really make you stupid? Etc, etc....if anyone has any studies on it, that'd be great. By the way, I'm slowly weening off of it anyway...it's too costly. I've only smoked twice in the last 2-3 weeks! Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I used to have a bunch of links to studies.

The problem with most of them is they say various things depending on who funded them (and who is publishing them)

In the grand scheme of things - everything in moderation.

Smoking a little weed every now and again won't affect your training (unless you smoke right before or during training. I would imagine that would make training far more amusing)

Smoking a lot of pot (or anything for that matter) - like daily, probably will hamper your performance.

I'll see if I can find any of those links.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Speaking from personal experience; smoking weed is pointless, one day you get tired of it and then years later you realize how stupid it was.

Thanks Paul.

A. F.
    Let me shed some light with my 2 candle flashlight.

I stayed clean until 18. At 18 I started occasional drinking, and couple months ago started occasional <weed> smoking..

I keep the alcohol to occasions (about once/month) and weed about once every 3 weeks.

I've heard mixed reactions about it - my friend is a seriously buff guy (been working out for 4 years) and smokes weed, he says it pumps him up and gives him a nice energy boost... However I disagree with that because weed tends to make you lazy.

I guess to each his own, some people dont feel like doing a damn thing when high, others want to go to the gym and work out for hours. I personally don't feel like doing a damn thing when high except for eating, laughing, and hanging out with the hunnies..

I think the whole "weed is bad for your brain" is a load of horseshiat, because most of the things are bad for you (ex: television, car fumes, sun, fast food, etc). If you're going to live your life avoiding "bad" things for you - you might as well lock yourself up in a room with some water. Everything harms you - however that's ok as long as you keep it to a limit.

Smoking weed everyday doesn't really have a point, because your body builds an immunity to the "high", and after some time you don't even get one.. However if you keep it to once a week/2 weeks, you'll feel a better high, and at the same time don't pollute your body as much.

Too much of anything is bad for you.. Occasional weed is perfectly fine with me.

Just my 2 cents, sorry if I made a mistake anywhere.

I might not have any studies to this, apart from myself being the guenie pig. I have trained for about 5 years and the first 2 i did smoke hash(badly for a while)

i had exames at University I found it made me lazy and tired, i really enjoyed the feeling but it was effecting my memory and lack of motivation. I stoped for 6 weeks before my final tests and i felt so much healthier it was unbelivable. I felt so much stronger,motivated and flexible

I have stoped ever scince. Some times at a party i will have a puff, but i know personaly :smoking is one of the worst thing you can do.

If you must do it, try eating it! You can make cakes ect I would just eat it raw (hash not grass)
    it will make your head explode
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

I'll say this: I don't know if it has any physical detriment to training, but I damn sure couldn't get off the couch when I smoked regularly. I didn't want to move, let alone touch a weight.

Also, I did notice that I would get "stupid" while I was smoking, and after chronic periods of use, that "stupid" would linger for a week or two. It wasn't something I enjoyed.

I'm pretty much done with bud forever.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Ok guys, I know what happens when you get high I smoke plenty. I just want some studies.. Thanks though.

I asked a friend of mine who's getting a PhD in Pharmacology (he's also huge)...his answer:
    "you don't smoke that sh**, you put it in brownies." ...he was serious too.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Marijuana effects everyone differently. people who already lack motivation may turn into a introvert if they abuse marijuana. I have some friends who can't sit down after smoking, you would think they just did a big line of coke or meth.

marijuana will effect you only as much as you let it...I smoked all through high school, undergrad and grad school and graduated with honors...

Even Arnold got high !

I know, I was just curious how it affects test levels and the sort...if it does at all.

Last edited by Delphi; 08-18-2002 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks Delphi, you 'da man

I don't know about studies, but it makes sense to me seeing as how I've heard of people, and personally know one person who has low sperm count from smoking excessively. Sperm swims in testosterone in the testicles, and if smoking lowers your test levels, it would lower your sperm count. And then there is also the idea that smoking can eventually cause gyno, now that could also be just from getting fat from the munchies and being more suseptible to gyno that way. Maybe these hypothesis are exaggerated by the powers that be, but I don't think it is entirely a coincedence either that smoking excessively has been known to lower sperm count AND caouse gyno. Also, THC can be stored in your fat cells right? Its the fat cells that are responsible for producing aromatase, the enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen. While all these things may mean nothing by themselves, I think if you take them all into consideration its pretty fair to say that there is SOME link between excessive smoking and testosterone levels. I doubt its anything that you should worry about unless you're a champion bodybuilding.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

Testosterone is a hormone, and as such, is released directly into the blood stream after production. I'm not aware of it being stored in the testicles, like thyroid hormone is stored in colloid in the thyroid. I don't believe that sperm swim in testosterone in the testicles.

There are some metabolites of THC that are estrogenic, which can result in gyno and lower sperm counts (if you decide to believe from the literature that THC does indeed lower sperm counts).

True gyno is not related to eating when you have the munchies. It's a hormonal imbalance.

I'm not aware of any research that says that THC turns on the aromatase enzyme while it is being stored in fat cells.

"THC Groove" Smoking Dope For Better Training?

**Taken from steroids.com**

Question:
    A few friends of mine always smoke some dope before they go to the gym. They say it helps them train harder. What can marijuana really do for muscle building?

Answer:
    I've heard several good things about "smoking a bowl" (of marijuana) before hitting the gym. Marijuana can definitely change the way you feel during training. But just like everything else, there are 2 distinct sides to this coin.
    The active ingredient in marijuana is the chemical tetrahydrocannabinal (abbreviated THC). It can be very useful during training because it drastically heightens your perception of almost everything, especially physical sensations1. Now, marijuana does interfere with your ability to perceive several stimuli at once, but that leads to greater concentration on 1 or 2 specific phenomena. So you are much more aware of your muscle contractions during training and can deeply isolate specific areas with exercise.

Sounds pretty good, huh? Well, one of the problems is that THC also has profound hallucinogenic effects, so no one is really sure whether the heightened perception ability is real or imaginary. So you might think you're training harder and getting deeper into your muscles, but you could actually just be doing the same thing you always do. Also, THC causes a significant elevation in estrogen, making your physique look softer than normal. An associate recently told me about a popular pro bodybuilder (a friend of his) who couldn't ever get really hard and ripped for a contest until he stopped smoking dope. Based on other observations and reports, that appears to be the case. Having a joint before a workout has an upside and a downside. The upside is you can have some unreal training sessions where you can truly envision the finest details of muscular contraction. But the downside is your estrogen levels will increase and you will sacrifice the ripped look. If you want "gyno", puffiness and delusions, by all means smoke your brains out.

Reference:
    1. McKim, W.A., Cannibis: Behavioral Pharmacology, 1997, 241-262. Best Drugs For "Steroid-Free" Bodybuilders

Interesting, just to back up some your claims, as in the last part. Where it can cause increased estrogen levels.

well I hope I am ok I have been smoking at least 3 to 4 times a day morning noon and night for the last 7 years. And I am doing better and better in the gym. Its part of my life that I dont even consider any more like taking a **** when you wake up in the morning. Its ok and ll in moderatin though.
    Age 23 Height 5'10 weight 210 2 years complete of serious lifting.
    At 5'10" last Jan/02 I was 280 Lbs with a 44 waist.
    Now as of Dec/02 I am 210 with a 34-36 waist. A year complete 70 pounds lost now lets get big .
    Goal Deadlift 500 by summer now..
    02/10/03 405X3 425X1
    02/17/03 435X1
    02/24/03 445X1
    03/03/03 455X1
    03/10/03 455X3 "rack pull" 500X1 "rack pull MISS"
    03/17/03 405X6, "Rack Pulls 505X3, 525X1.... 555X1 Miss"
    04/14/03 465X1 verry difficult
    05/12/03 475X1 Easy!!! 500X1 Miss"real close"
    05/19/03 435X5
    06/16/03 Rack pulls 555X2, 600Xmiss
    07/14/03 500X1 GOAL ACHIEVED!!!!
    10/06/03 500X4 555X1 Miss
    10/13/03 535X1
    11/10/03 Rack pull 500X7
    GOAL for 2004 get back to a low fat% and keep it 8 -10% would be great.
    06/29 rack pull 700X3
    07/6/04 600x1 at 216
    09/6/04 600X1 at 208 Rack pull 720X3
    NEW GOAL BENCH 400 BY FEB 2005 "not sure about this one"

that post above mine is full of BS at least most of it.
    Age 23 Height 5'10 weight 210 2 years complete of serious lifting.
    At 5'10" last Jan/02 I was 280 Lbs with a 44 waist.
    Now as of Dec/02 I am 210 with a 34-36 waist. A year complete 70 pounds lost now lets get big .
    Goal Deadlift 500 by summer now..
    02/10/03 405X3 425X1
    02/17/03 435X1
    02/24/03 445X1
    03/03/03 455X1
    03/10/03 455X3 "rack pull" 500X1 "rack pull MISS"
    03/17/03 405X6, "Rack Pulls 505X3, 525X1.... 555X1 Miss"
    04/14/03 465X1 verry difficult
    05/12/03 475X1 Easy!!! 500X1 Miss"real close"
    05/19/03 435X5
    06/16/03 Rack pulls 555X2, 600Xmiss
    07/14/03 500X1 GOAL ACHIEVED!!!!
    10/06/03 500X4 555X1 Miss
    10/13/03 535X1
    11/10/03 Rack pull 500X7
    GOAL for 2004 get back to a low fat% and keep it 8 -10% would be great.
    06/29 rack pull 700X3
    07/6/04 600x1 at 216
    09/6/04 600X1 at 208 Rack pull 720X3
    NEW GOAL BENCH 400 BY FEB 2005 "not sure about this one"

Banned

Re: "THC Groove" Smoking Dope For Better Training?

Originally posted by heathj
    Sounds pretty good, huh? Well, one of the problems is that THC also has profound hallucinogenic effects, so no one is really sure whether the heightened perception ability is real or imaginary. So you might think you're training harder and getting deeper into your muscles, but you could actually just be doing the same thing you always do. Also, THC causes a significant elevation in estrogen, making your physique look softer than normal. An associate recently told me about a popular pro bodybuilder (a friend of his) who couldn't ever get really hard and ripped for a contest until he stopped smoking dope. Based on other observations and reports, that appears to be the case. Having a joint before a workout has an upside and a downside. The upside is you can have some unreal training sessions where you can truly envision the finest details of muscular contraction. But the downside is your estrogen levels will increase and you will sacrifice the ripped look. If you want "gyno", puffiness and delusions, by all means smoke your brains out.
    LOL!
    1. THC can have profound hallucinogenic effects. Unless you have some really killer bud, you will not experience profound hallicinations from a couple bong hits. Simple biochemistry; you need a higher concentration to achieve greater effects. Most people achieve a MILD hallicinogenic effect.

2. There's an awful lot of supposition and commentary in that response, not all of which can be substantiated in the quoted article.

3. A big part of getting bigger is BELIEVING you will get bigger. Who cares if the sensation is totally real or illusory if it helps you get big?

Dude, I don't know about you, but when I took my first bong rip, I was seeing things all over! haha..joking. Yeah marijuana doesn't have any hallucinogenic effects, unless you add some heavy shiat on top of it. I just posted it for interest and debate. Believing you will get big, is a big part too, I agree.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by stantheman
    Speaking from personal experience; smoking weed is pointless, one day you get tired of it and then years later you realize how stupid it was.
    very true.