The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Tore My Acl

FREAKZILLA

Tore My Acl

I recently tore my ACL and a miniscus tear of the cartlidge in my right knee. I was wondering if any of u have any experience with this type of injury and if so do u have any good methods for a speedy recovery? I was told by my doctor that it will be at least 6months to a year before I can do heavy leg excerises or run again can you belive that no squating for possibly a year!!! Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    when you hear about athletes and ACL injuries, it's not uncommon to hear similar kinds of numbers for recovery; in some cases an ACL or MCL injury can end a career

I haven't torn mine but I just STRAINED it this summer and I was messed up for almost a month. No running, no heavy lifting. And it wasn't like I could work through it; I bloody COLLAPSED when I tried doing squats.

Are you going in for surgery to repair it?

My advice:
    1. if your doc isn't experienced with athletics, get a 2nd opinion but don't expect the numbers to change THAT much

2. seek rehab/physical therapy if you can to help strengthen and recover

3. Don't rush it too much; repeated injuries to the knee could keep you out of athletics even longer, which would be BAD. There's lots of other stuff you can do without heavy legs to help stay in shape.

I tore my ACL a couple of years ago. If you have a doctor experienced with sports medicine he/she should recommend/insist physical therapy. Basically just take the doctor's and therapist's advice about what exercises you should do and try not to push yourself too hard. You have a good basis because you've already built up strength due to your training thus far so your therapists should be almost excited to work with you instead of having to rehab an old lady that broke her hip.

The recovery time will depend on the type of surgery you get. There are a couple types that take a piece of either your hamstring or your patella tendon to replace the torn ligament. Or you could get the one where they take a ligament from a cadaver which I think can be done arthoscopically (sp?) and probably has the quickest recovery time due to minimalizing the invasiveness.

Anyways, good luck bro...
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    I tore mine playing hockey (got hit in the knee) in September 1999. It was a partial tear and I didn't have surgery, but the knee was very sore and swollen and the ends of the bones were bruised for probably a month or two after the incident. I had a sports medicine doc and a sports medicine PT who really did a great job of therapy and easing me into activity.

The best advice I have to take your time, do everything that your doc/PT tells you to do, and don't try to rush it. I was able to get back to my hockey season by the end of March and have had no trouble since.

Continue to work your uninjured leg and the rest of your body...anything that you can do without compromising your injured leg. This will stimulate the phenomenon referred to as "bilateral transfer"...you will retain 60-70% of your strength in the injured area just by working the uninjured ones. Somehow this work send the message that "we need this muscle for stuff" and you won't lose as much as if you just stopped everything. This is exactly what athletes do to recover/get back as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 09-17-2002 at 09:48 AM.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

FREAKZILLA
    Yes I already had the operation and it was the patella tendon graph I belive which he told me would allow me to recover faster but would leave a bigger scar then the hamstring graph. I am also in physical therapy (yeah they do like working with me alot) and the operation was 11 days ago and I am able to walk up and down steps and walk around without crutches with no problems which I think is pretty good but thier is still a good amount of pain especially after waking up in the morning. Thanks
    Thier's no one finer the Scott Stiener- Scott Stiener

Big Poppa Pump is your hook-up holla if ya hear me- Scott Stiener

Damn it feels good to be a Gangsta.....

Good luck with your recovery, Big Poppa, and take your time, as everyone else is saying.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    I had a slight tear in my ACL but it was very very slight and small, but Phuck did it bother me for like 3-4 months, for such a small tear it did a lot of havoc, and kept me form doing a lot of things for a while.

I've never had THAT unjury (knocks wood) but I have experienced many others. Just take it slow and easy. Time heals all. Good luck bro'.

FREAKZILLA
    bump
    Thier's no one finer the Scott Stiener- Scott Stiener

Big Poppa Pump is your hook-up holla if ya hear me- Scott Stiener

Damn it feels good to be a Gangsta.....