Thread: Lower back pain

Wannabebig Member

Lower back pain

Im having a problem with my lower back while training lately. Now I have been on a kinda long break due to becoming a father and being laid off. The only way to describe it is that my lower back feels like it "blows up" after only a few reps of deads and squats. I remember this same feeling after higher rep deads and squats before. The only difference from training before and now is I am doing a lot more sled pulls and light tire flips on off days. I got kinda fat after a long break and need to slim down quite a bit. Has anyone had this problem and how did you "fix" it? Thank you in advance.

I have suggested this before on this board and I'll suggest it again to you, Rock Tape!

What do you mean by a few reps? Just with a warmup or few heavy reps?
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Quote Originally Posted by fresh View Post
    Im having a problem with my lower back while training lately. Now I have been on a kinda long break due to becoming a father and being laid off. The only way to describe it is that my lower back feels like it "blows up" after only a few reps of deads and squats. I remember this same feeling after higher rep deads and squats before. The only difference from training before and now is I am doing a lot more sled pulls and light tire flips on off days. I got kinda fat after a long break and need to slim down quite a bit. Has anyone had this problem and how did you "fix" it? Thank you in advance.
    Is the issue that you feel a 'pump' in your lower back? Or is it fatigue/pain?

Just trying to get a better idea of the issue to try to troubleshoot, although if you believe it is an injury then I would seek the advice of a qualified medical professional.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 08-17-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I'm with Tom, trying to figure out if this is due to an injury, or is it just the muscles feeling worked. I know sometime my biceps, quads, etc. can feel worked, sometimes the low back does as well. Try and give us some more insight.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I agree with the above. Is it dull or sharp? Consistent or comes and goes?

I have had disc problems in the past (bulged, inflamed and degenerated discs) and the way you are describing the sensation reminds me of how I would feel right before a big flare-up. If this is the case, it is advisable to leave the tire flipping out and be careful with form and weight increase when cantilevered over the bar.

Also, stretch and foam roll your psoas and hip flexors as much as possible. If these are tight then it will cause forward hip tilt resulting in an over-arching of the lower spine. In this sense, I would also avoid all crunching movements for abdominal work and do something like abdominal roll-outs, as crunching motions can exacerbate tight flexors and the overall problem, if there is one at all.
    Sarvamangalam!

I think Fresh has not been back in some time.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Sorry everyone... Life got into the way and i almost forgot about this thread. Well it was more of a "pump" than anything and it didnt seem like an injury but more APT. I have backed off the sled and tire and concentrated more on just walking in hopes to help and so far so good. I have been making sure to squeeze my glutes as much as possible while walking and doing squats and deads and the pain is pretty much gone. I just never had pain that bad and I was worried that it was an injury. Thank you to everyone for replying.