The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How's this routine look for the next 4 months?

I am changing my routine up just slightly (not a huge change) by splitting quads and hamstrings and reducing my volume a tad. I also have changed 3-4 exercises up a little. No drastic changes, but this along with a diet I'm working on will hopefully help me gain close to 10 pounds over the next 4 months.

Please critique and let me know if there are any glaring holes and/or things I could change to make this a better routine. Thanks.

DAY 1 - CHEST/BICEPS
    Incline Bench (DB's) - 3 sets
    Flat Bench (DB's) - 2 sets
    Dips - 2 sets
    Flies - 2 sets
    Straight Bar Curls- 2 sets
    Hammer Curls - 2 sets
    Alt. Curls - 1 set

DAY 2 - QUADS/CALVES
    Squat - 3 sets
    F. Squats - 2 sets
    Leg Press - 2 sets (20 reps)
    Leg Extensions - 2 sets (drop sets)
    Seated Calf - 2 sets
    Half-seated Calf Machine - 2 sets
    Standing Calf - 2 sets

DAY 3 - HAMS/SHOULDERS
    SLDL - 3 sets
    Leg Curls - 2 sets
    Leg Curls (one legged) - 1 set
    DB shoulder press - 3 sets
    Side Laterals (superset w/ upright rows) - 2 sets
    Rear Delts - 1 set

DAY 4 - BACK/TRICEPS
    Conv. Deadlifts - 3 sets
    Barbell Rows - 2 sets
    Underhand Close-grip Pulldowns - 3 sets
    Shrugs - 2 sets
    Skull Crushers - 2 sets
    One Arm Reverse - 2 sets
    Push Downs - 2 sets

I will still continue to workout Mon, Tues, Thurs, Friday.

Peace-

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looks good to me. How many reps for each set?
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

6-8 range.
    peace-

Craig

sounds very good actually.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Looks pretty good. I just have one question. From what I've read all over the forums people say it's better to do Tris with Chest and Bis with Back. Why the change to Chest-Bis and Back-Tris? I'm not against it, only would like to know what the advantages would be
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Well, the reason I'm doing it is two-fold:

1) I don't get a good bicep or tricep workout really when I do them with back and chest. The reason for this is that my biceps are fried after a good back day and my triceps are fried after a good chest day.

2) It allow me to indirectly hit them 2 times each a week.

It is just something different I am going to try for a while. I have done back/bis and chest/tris for a while now.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    It all looks great, the only thing i would change.....well more like add is you might want to throw some more variety in your

-Bi's= maybe you should incorporate some other movements, like some preacher curls

-Deltoids= I think you, and I am not sure how you feel about your shoulders so, take this with a grain of salt. But I would incorporate some more later movements into your routine. Like some bent over lateral raises palms facing out.

eithewr way your gonna get great results with that routine you have listed already...good luck

-Bi's= maybe you should incorporate some other movements, like some preacher curls

** Not at all necessary

-Deltoids= I think you, and I am not sure how you feel about your shoulders so, take this with a grain of salt. But I would incorporate some more later movements into your routine. Like some bent over lateral raises palms facing out

** Can you explain this to me? I'm having trouble visualizing it. I also don't see much reason to do any more rear delt work.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Grasshoppa
    Why? He's doing enough sets w/ the movements he has already. Those are great lifts.

-Deltoids= I think you, and I am not sure how you feel about your shoulders so, take this with a grain of salt. But I would incorporate some more later movements into your routine. Like some bent over lateral raises palms facing out.
    I also can't imagine how you do lateral raises, palms facing out.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I would rather see you on a Sunday, Tuesday, Friday split using a smaller routine. The only thing I see you doing bad is that you have shoulders a day before triceps. So you'll be working triceps that haven't recovered from shoulders. And that may lead you to start a chest day with triceps that are "double exhausted."

Not that you asked, but here's what I would offer...

Sunday
    Flat BB Bench 4x6-8 (can be taken to failure, but not every week)
    Skullcrushers 2x8-10 (never taken to failure, but come close)
    Side Lateral Raise 2x8-10 (same as skulls)
    Lats 3x8-10 (any lat motion, not to failure)

Tuesday
    Deadlifts 4x3 (varying styles, perform each rep as a single)
    Lower Back/Glutes Hamstrings 3x8-10 (no failure)
    Abs 3x8-20
    Shrugs 2x6-8 (if you feel like it)

Friday
    Squats 5x3 (use a very wide stance and do triples)
    Leg Press 2x8-10 (fail once in a while)
    Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings 3x8-10 (same as above)
    Abs 3x8-20
    Calves 3x6-8 (any kind, if you feel like it)

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    I would rather see you on a Sunday, Tuesday, Friday split using a smaller routine. The only thing I see you doing bad is that you have shoulders a day before triceps. So you'll be working triceps that haven't recovered from shoulders. And that may lead you to start a chest day with triceps that are "double exhausted."

Not that you asked, but here's what I would offer...

Sunday
    Flat BB Bench 4x6-8 (can be taken to failure, but not every week)
    Skullcrushers 2x8-10 (never taken to failure, but come close)
    Side Lateral Raise 2x8-10 (same as skulls)
    Lats 3x8-10 (any lat motion, not to failure)

Tuesday
    Deadlifts 4x3 (varying styles, perform each rep as a single)
    Lower Back/Glutes Hamstrings 3x8-10 (no failure)
    Abs 3x8-20
    Shrugs 2x6-8 (if you feel like it)

Friday
    Squats 5x3 (use a very wide stance and do triples)
    Leg Press 2x8-10 (fail once in a while)
    Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings 3x8-10 (same as above)
    Abs 3x8-20
    Calves 3x6-8 (any kind, if you feel like it)

Thanks for the comments bro. I have tried routines like this before and just found my body responds to a little heavier load. Also, I don't do barbell flat bench presses. I just never could get my chest to respond much to these and I wasn't in them just for strength. I need MUCH MORE work on my chest than one exercise as well.

You make very valid points about doing triceps right before shoulders and that maybe causing a problem.

I will have to keep on eye on that.

peace-

Originally posted by BennettBoy
    Well, the reason I'm doing it is two-fold:

1) I don't get a good bicep or tricep workout really when I do them with back and chest. The reason for this is that my biceps are fried after a good back day and my triceps are fried after a good chest day.

2) It allow me to indirectly hit them 2 times each a week.

It is just something different I am going to try for a while. I have done back/bis and chest/tris for a while now.
    Those are the same two reasons that have had me contemplating a similar routine. Gimme a message or post your results/progress in a month or two!
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Okay here we go....I said he maybe..."maybe".....not must incoporate some other movements.

I just think that with the bi's its good to get a variet of movements. I just think that he would not get maximum gains just doing straight bar, and hammer curls.

And as for the delts, I am not sure how you can't imagine a bent over lateral raise with the palms facing out? And if you can visualize it, why would he not want to throw in another movement?

I will be doing dumbbell shoulder presses, side laterals w/ upright rows (superset) and a set of rear laterals. Why do I need more? Plus, you may not know but my delts are one of my stronger bodyparts. I think I have enough movements for my shoulders with this routine.

Originally posted by duque21
    Okay here we go....I said he maybe..."maybe".....not must incoporate some other movements.

I just think that with the bi's its good to get a variet of movements. I just think that he would not get maximum gains just doing straight bar, and hammer curls.

And as for the delts, I am not sure how you can't imagine a bent over lateral raise with the palms facing out? And if you can visualize it, why would he not want to throw in another movement?
    You 'Think it's good'. could you perhaps back that up with a little physiology or even logic? It isn't necessary.

I know what a bent over lateral is, I'm just trying to get at the palms facing out. Out where? I see no need to add it... he's got 'rear delts' listed, I assume this is some sort of bo lateral, anyway. There is enough pulling to take care of them.

Why would he not want to throw in another movement?? Because it's possible to do too much, and it's rather inefficient.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Whats UP??????

Originally posted by duque21

If you guys read what I wrote, I wrote it kinda in focus with not trying to cause any fights,

I asked how he felt abot his delts, then I simply said take it with a grain of salt.........So why are you guys getting all bent out of shape? It is not as though I told him he MUST DO IT.

You guys get way too worked up when some one gives adivce you dont like. If you dont like what I have to say, disagree with me and let it go. Jeeeze

That's what I'm doing.

I'm not bent out of shape... I'm just trying to get you to enlighten us.

He's already got rear delts in the routine, you never explain why he would want to do more. You have yet to explain what you mean by palms out. When I do a bent over lateral raise, my palms are holding the dumbells, and are facing the floor. (Of course, since I'm in an alternate universe, what I do may or may not apply). I just want to know what the benefits are if your advice is heeded. Nothing necessarily wrong with suggesting more rear delt work... but you don't explain why.

You ignored the curl question.

You said:

And I asked:

You 'Think it's good'. Could you perhaps back that up with a little physiology or even logic?

I'm just challenging you, my friend. You *might* just learn how to better craft a response, as well as learn a little about lifting. I'll be more capable of discussing the matter further with you as you get better at it, as well. It benefits everyone.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Okay.......For My Good Ol' Pal Paul

Nit Pick, Nit Pick, ........Sarcasm. Sarcasm...........Humm despite all of it, I will still atempt to apease you.

He only had one set of rear delts, so I simply suggested he throw in another set. The most effective way I have learned to get some great results for my rear delts in by doing Bent over lateral raises with my palms facing out.

Instructions
    1. -use lighter DB's than you would use for regular bent over raises

2. -Grab the Db's in your hands, place them in front of you

3. -bend yoour knee's a little bit, and bend at the waist to about a 70-80 degree angle.

4. -now turn your hands so that your palms are facing away from your body and the back of your hands are facing each other.(it is impossible to completely turn your hands, but try to rotate them as much as possible without strain)

5. -try to keep your arms straight and raise them outwards with palms facing out the whole time, concentrate on squeezing your shoulder bldes together and fully contracting the rear delts.

now try those a few times and tell me what you think.

Now as for the bi's it was just my opinion that doing straight bar, and hammer curls is kinda cheating your self, if those are the only two variations of curling he is gonna do. I think you can achieve better muscle contraction if he were to do some sort of movement where the palms are in a natural position while cruling. (preacher curls with an e-z curl bar)

Now as you see it, I am just some punk on this forum, who is a total newbie.......So if you dont like what I have said, seeing what you think of me you should not get upset.
    I hope that through my total useless advice you have ained somesort of "Enlightenment"

Your best bud --

~Duque~

Well I don't see the whole palm facing away thing either. Unless your arms are on backwards from mine. You would only be putting strain on your elbows. Rear delt flies are done with palms facing the floor. As you rotate your arms you are changing the angle and they will no longer be targetting the rear delts.

I think Paul's other problem with your advice is insistence that someone is cheating themselves by only doing two biceps movements. This is a crock...you can't target other parts of the muscle with some other form of biceps excersize. It's one of the smallest muscles we train, and gets hit already with most back exercises...and already having two exercises for biceps after the fact is probably MORE than enough. There is no other exercise for the Bis that will "target" the muscle head more if he is already doing curls and hammers.

But it's ok you are learning. Focusing so much on biceps is a common mistake among newbies.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

See, now that was helpful.

Interesting variation of the rear lateral raise...I'm trying it now... it *feels* like it incorporates more trap (the pulling together of the scapulae). Not sure how it would make much difference to the rear delt, though.

Actually, as I see it, you are a pretty decently schooled guy who still clings to a couple of commonly held misconceptions (like some other curl will give you a better contraction).

What I'm trying to do is challenge you to think through what you say... don't just regurgitate something you read in a glossy magazine... tell me WHY various curls are more effective! (You probably won't be able to, and when that happens, you'll rethink your stance, and understand that various curls may NOT be any better)
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by ElPietro
    But it's ok you are learning. Focusing so much on biceps is a common mistake among newbies.
    Oooooh. Ouch. That smarts.

LOL.........to think that are curls are the same. I guess from now on I am only going to do one kind of curl. Nothing more. Well I dont have any science to back up my OPINION but, my experience has showm me a few things. One of them being that there are many variations of curling, and they all hit different parts of the Bicep. Now since you ask me to use logic, and scientifc support to acredit my claims, I would(which I cant, but thats okay cause there just my opinions) I wouldnt mind seeing any scientif data saying that I am worng.

Hey duque, what do you use to isolate the inner, lower portion of the pec? Mine is really laggin...

My Pecs suck

You know my pecs are by far my down fall, I train them asmuch as I can, which happens to be very little(due to a bad rotator cuff) so I have no advice for that one. But from what i have heard I would say Decline bench, or lowered cable flys, where you pull up and in. But I dont really have a certain responce for you
    Last edited by duque21; 09-19-2002 at 02:43 PM.

Enough said! Thanks