Thread: New to the game, would like some advice

Wannabebig New Member

New to the game, would like some advice

First off, I just have to say this is a great site, I am glad I found it.
    I have been reading it for a few days and decided to register.

I am new to weightlifting, and I think it is time to get serious about it. I am looking for a good basic routine, diet plans, and answers to some questions I have. I will begin with my stats and goals:
    Sex: male
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 230 not sure about bf %, but I'm sure its pretty high, would like to lower
    Waist: 38"
    I am pretty heavy, but not I am not totally fat, I have a lot of natural strength. I was an all star linebacker and offensive lineman in high school football never lifting seriously.

Here are my goals:
    I am not very concerned about my weight, as I am naturally pretty big, but I would like to gain mass and lose fat at the same time? Is this possible?

Currently I have been doing about 20 minutes of hard cardio (biking, running, jumping rope) about 4 times per week. I would like a weightlifting routine to go along with this.

Some Questions:
    Can I do my cardio directly after I lift weights? Will it cancel out the mass I just gained from lifting?
    I would like to change my diet also, about how many grams of protein should I be taking in a day? And should I eat 4-5 small meals a day instead of 3?

I would love it if someone could make me a routine for lifting, spanned out over 3-4 days if possible. From what I have read, I think working one muscle group per week would be the best. Also, for example, if I am working my triceps, how many different tricep exersices should I do per session? If you could just suggest the names of the lifts, I will learn more about them at ExRx.

I guess thats all the questions for now. I know there is a lot, but any help would really be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot!

Eat about six meals a day. Watch the carbs, but you don't have to be TOO strict with them, just be reasonable. I reccomend a 3 day split with maybe cardio twice a week. Skim throough the wbb routines. Alot of your questions can be answered if you read some of the articles that go along with each forum. Oh yeah, and in regards to how much protein you need, aim for about 1g, per 1lb of bodyweight.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the help guys, and good read Accipiter

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    your welcome, I tried to write it so it would be helpful to everyone who's been doing this anywhere from 0-4 or so years

First off, I just have to say this is a great site, I am glad I found it.
    I have been reading it for a few days and decided to register.
    **welcome!!

I am new to weightlifting, and I think it is time to get serious about it. I am looking for a good basic routine, diet plans, and answers to some questions I have. I will begin with my stats and goals:
    Sex: male
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 230 not sure about bf %, but I'm sure its pretty high, would like to lower
    Waist: 38"
    I am pretty heavy, but not I am not totally fat, I have a lot of natural strength. I was an all star linebacker and offensive lineman in high school football never lifting seriously.

Here are my goals:
    I am not very concerned about my weight, as I am naturally pretty big, but I would like to gain mass and lose fat at the same time? Is this possible?
    Its hard, but possible for beginners. If a beginner starts and they are carrying a fair bit of fat then a change in diet and a good training routine is obviously going to reduce bodyfat. Also you will put on muscle. As you grow in experience its going to be much hard to do.

I would concentrate on constructing a diet and a good workout plan and things will come

Currently I have been doing about 20 minutes of hard cardio (biking, running, jumping rope) about 4 times per week. I would like a weightlifting routine to go along with this.

Some Questions:
    Can I do my cardio directly after I lift weights? Will it cancel out the mass I just gained from lifting?
    I think its best not to. I normally am pretty whacked after a workout and you should also be if you work with the correct intensity. I like to get my post workout meal in and just rest.

Try and schedule your cardio on the off days. Perhaps morning runs if they are on the same day. i am going for one in a min actually

I would like to change my diet also, about how many grams of protein should I be taking in a day? And should I eat 4-5 small meals a day instead of 3?
    I prefer to eat more smaller meals yes. Currently I am eating 6. You will find it is popular amongst bodybuilding diets to incorporate more smaller meals as opposed to the typical 3 most eat.

[quote]I would love it if someone could make me a routine for lifting, spanned out over 3-4 days if possible. From what I have read, I think working one muscle group per week would be the best. Also, for example, if I am working my triceps, how many different tricep exersices should I do per session? If you could just suggest the names of the lifts, I will learn more about them at ExRx.
    [quote]

Have you checked out the wbb routines? go to www.wannabebig.com and look at the left nav bar. Click on archives and view the first routine. I made some good gains on that routine. Its all laid out there for you. You just have to do it

good luck
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal