The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    this is very embarrsing to admit.. but I'm a man (19 years old) and I can barely do any pushups/chins.. I'm extremely weak and havent started lifting yet. In fact I've never weight trained before in my life execpt for useless stuff in high school. I can do a lot of pushups on my knees but I can probably only do 3 real pushups before I can't do anymore. I can only do about 2 chin ups..

but get this, I'm only 105lbs. I should be a girl.. Oh well at least im gonna try and change this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    It's great that you can do 2 at body weight. That woman who does sets of ten, that's damn impressive.

I don't think center of gravity has anything to do with pullups. You are pulling the same weight up regardless, and because you are pulling yourself up vertically, COG doesn't matter.
    Thanks Guido.

And good point. I was just thinking that weight distribution does alter the way you can lift it. For example, pickin up a 50lb block is very different than trying to pick up 50lbs suspended like a yoyo. [Yes, I realize that yoyos never weigh 50lbs, but just go with me for the sake of argument here....]

Just a completely unproven conjecture.
    Women who look at men like chests and biceps. Women who touch men like asses. Start squatting.

"It`s not a grudge. I just don`t like you." - my friend Scott.

"Dude, yer beyond a tool. Yer the whole damn shed."
    -me

Stats:
    Female, 5'0, 127ish lbs (this is a damn lie...closer to 133.)
    Current Max Lifts:
    Deadlift- 245 x 1
    RDL - 185 x 5 x 5
    Squat - 155 x 3
    Bench - 105 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by neartaigh
    Thanks Guido.

And good point. I was just thinking that weight distribution does alter the way you can lift it. For example, pickin up a 50lb block is very different than trying to pick up 50lbs suspended like a yoyo. [Yes, I realize that yoyos never weigh 50lbs, but just go with me for the sake of argument here....]

Just a completely unproven conjecture.
    It has to do with distribution of mass in that males have more muscle for pulling (back, arms) than basically any female at the same weight. Males have more potential for developing muscle in that area too. That's genetics for you.

However, I think anyone can AND SHOULD be doing pullups. If you can do 2, the road to 10 is much shorter than from 0 to 1.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by NormanNormal
    this is very embarrsing to admit.. but I'm a man (19 years old) and I can barely do any pushups/chins.. I'm extremely weak and havent started lifting yet. In fact I've never weight trained before in my life execpt for useless stuff in high school. I can do a lot of pushups on my knees but I can probably only do 3 real pushups before I can't do anymore. I can only do about 2 chin ups..

but get this, I'm only 105lbs. I should be a girl.. Oh well at least im gonna try and change this.
    Don`t stress it Norman...yer still VERY young. Start eating, start lifting. You`ll be stunned how fast things will move for you in the beginning.
    Women who look at men like chests and biceps. Women who touch men like asses. Start squatting.

-me

Stats:
    Current Max Lifts:
    Deadlift- 245 x 1
    RDL - 185 x 5 x 5
    Squat - 155 x 3
    Bench - 105 x 2

@mixmaster, i never did direct pull down conditioning before i started serious lifting but i did do one arm db rows alot and it took me roughly 3 months of non serious lifting to go from zero to one. with any bodyweight exercise you cant do, going from zero to one is the single hardest rep gain.

Strength is earned, not many guys can perform these exercises very well if at all.
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by benchmonster
    Well, different strokes for different folks I guess. I personally tend to like bigger girls than most. I am bigger than average, and I prefer them to be bigger than average too.

Even when I was a skinny little dweeb, I always have been attracted to bigger gals, more boob, more butt. Hmm, Hmm, good.

B.
    Word

Wannabebig Member
    My wife has never lifted weights or formally exercised in her 32 years on earth until 10 weeks ago. At 120 lbs she can now dip 3 sets x 12 reps with bw, chin up 3 sets at 8-10 reps, push-ups around 20 per set. She attributes her strength to working in the yard - mowing, raking, clearing brush, pulling vines out of trees, etc. - and having carried our five children around for the past 12 years (well, usually only one or two at a time).

It's a combination of everything. Girls are built differently, and furthermore society doesn't expect them to be doing chin-ups and push-ups. That said, I'm sure most are fully capable.

But back to what's important, I like smaller girls, I dunno why. And also, Norman, just keep at it dude. I have more respect for the weak guys in there who come day after day and feel like fools next to these guys who are like 30 and have been doing it for years, because it takes balls to do that. It's probably the absolute hardest part of weight lifting. When I messed up my back two years ago, I had to take some time away from the gym, and almost just quit because I couldn't do what I used to be able to. The hardest thing I've ever had to do was step it down in weight, and do less than people around me. If you can pull this off, you've got my respect for life
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 350
    Bench: 370
    Squat: 585

Done with football, just trying to get laid in college

Quote Originally Posted by rofl
    It's a combination of everything. Girls are built differently, and furthermore society doesn't expect them to be doing chin-ups and push-ups. That said, I'm sure most are fully capable.

But back to what's important, I like smaller girls, I dunno why.
    Small girls rule. I`m 5' short, so I should know.

As far as built differently...yeah, but that shouldn`t stop us. It`s just as hard for an out of shape guy to work up to his first chinup as it is for a woman.

And society is definitely not preventing women from doing chins. Women sitting on their a$$es or wasting their time in gym-bunny aerobic classes is what`s preventing women from being able to do mad sets of chins.

-me

Stats:
    Current Max Lifts:
    Deadlift- 245 x 1
    RDL - 185 x 5 x 5
    Squat - 155 x 3
    Bench - 105 x 2

Small girls rule. I`m 5' short, so I should know.

As far as built differently...yeah, but that shouldn`t stop us. It`s just as hard for an out of shape guy to work up to his first chinup as it is for a woman.

And society is definitely not preventing women from doing chins. Women sitting on their a$$es or wasting their time in gym-bunny aerobic classes is what`s preventing women from being able to do mad sets of chins.
    Yes absolutley, I get so tired of hearing of how women want to change their bodies but never do anything except starve themselves and then gain it all back and complain, I always encourage the women I know to eat right and do weight training, if they want to make positive and lasting changes.
    Last edited by SDhick; 02-13-2005 at 04:30 PM.

[QUOTE=Just some girl]I think that the ONLY reason girls "cannot" do pushups or pullups is that it is not emphasized for us.QUOTE]

OR it could be that men have something like 70% more upper body strength than women.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

i understand the fact htat women have less upper body strength but i think wit excersizes such as pull-ups, and pushups, overall strenght is not a main issue. i weigh 150 and i can bench 250 and i can barely do more than 40 -50 pushups at most. i never do em is the reason. with pullups, i can do maybe 25 which is alright since i aint never do em. i know a girl whose in boot camp, she can do 20 no problem, and she doesnt even have muscles, she looks like every other girl.

[QUOTE=superior_will]
    Quote Originally Posted by Just some girl
    I think that the ONLY reason girls "cannot" do pushups or pullups is that it is not emphasized for us.QUOTE]

OR it could be that men have something like 70% more upper body strength than women.
    I thought it was 30% more muscle mass overall?

Still, training overcomes this. I`m stronger than a lot of guys in my gym.

No excuses.

-me

Stats:
    Current Max Lifts:
    Deadlift- 245 x 1
    RDL - 185 x 5 x 5
    Squat - 155 x 3
    Bench - 105 x 2

^ maybe, but I think that was taking into consideration the huge amounts of testosterone men have over women.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    ^ maybe, but I think that was taking into consideration the huge amounts of testosterone men have over women.

Oh right. That`s true. Guess I`ll stop doing chins then and go back the aerobics studio. Thanks for clearing that up.

-me

Stats:
    Current Max Lifts:
    Deadlift- 245 x 1
    RDL - 185 x 5 x 5
    Squat - 155 x 3
    Bench - 105 x 2

I'd have tons of respect for any girl that can do sets of pullups, but I'd have just as much, or more respect for any girl or guy that struggles with 1 or 2, but keeps coming back each week trying to get that number higher. Too few people push themselves in the gym, so I certainly admire those that do.

Genetics is a factor, but as far as training goes, it's irrelevant. As long as the struggle and perseverance is there, you are on the right track.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 02-14-2005 at 11:31 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Nice post pete.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Thanks, I also forgot about the embarrasment factor. Which I don't exactly understand. Too many skip on trying something new, because they have to start off light, or I know so many girls that won't lift free weights simply because all the big guys using big weight. If people just worried about their own weight, and their own progress, they'd probably get somewhere, but instead, they just avoid the tough path, and go the easy route, and as a result generally aren't getting anywhere with their training.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Oh right. That`s true. Guess I`ll stop doing chins then and go back the aerobics studio. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Hey, don't get mad. I was just saying that men have physical advantages over women, but that should in no way stop any woman from working out and doing weightlifting. Keep doin' your chins....don't be so touchy.

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    Hey, don't get mad. I was just saying that men have physical advantages over women, but that should in no way stop any woman from working out and doing weightlifting. Keep doin' your chins....don't be so touchy.
    I agree-- some men have advantages over some women. I just try hard to buck the trend and not perpetuate the myth that women are restricted. We all have to work for it. That was my only point.

-me

Stats:
    Current Max Lifts:
    Deadlift- 245 x 1
    RDL - 185 x 5 x 5
    Squat - 155 x 3
    Bench - 105 x 2

^ Cool.

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    Two good posts by Pete. As has been said many times, check your ego at the gym door if you want to make improvements. It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad, to see guys and girls at my gym who are always there, but never seem to make any progress. Alot of the men use terrible form, but, by golly, they are really throwing up a bunch of weight (like the guys who think BB curls are for the calves, quads, and back, since that's the muscles they use to rock up the Big Wt.) Most folks just will not push themselves out of the comfort zone. Last night, there was a new member at the gym who had to be 350-400lbs of nearly pure fat. My wife commented that it was sad the guy let himself go for so long, but she was sure glad to see him at the gym now. We both hope we will continue seeing him working out and improving his health.

besides genetics, society plays a role too like thedoc said. strong men are highly looked upon and women are encouraged to be small and thin. what's on tv? -strong men and stick girls.

i once read in the newspapers that the men in my country prefer girls who are small and slim so that they can 'protect' them.. i also noticed that men in my country and asian men in general who don't workout are turned off by women who do; they are intimidated by women with bodies more lean and muscular (or defined) than theirs.

last wednesday at Chinese New Year lunch, one of my relatives asked me why i lift weights and why i want my shoulders to be so big (they're naturally broad from intensive swimming). i've overheard nasty comments about my physique from strangers (stick girls) as well.........

so women try their best to stay small and thin. even if they go to the gym, most women who have little knowledge in bodybuilding aren't going to touch the machines let alone free weights because they're afraid that might turn into the female version of arnold schwarzenegger overnight.

that's one of the reasons why (some) girls can't do pushups or chins - they never tried and never trained for it.

I dont think that its just girls. Most newbies to the gym struggle to lift their own body weight at first.
    I thinks once girls leave school their exercise goes down the pan tho. Although their are exceptions.
    Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.