Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: why cant girls do pushups or chins ?

I realize this is a newly resurrected thread, but I figured since its at the top again Id chime in.

I always assumed women couldnt do push ups and chins because they weren't expected to. I mean Ive never really paid much attention since high school but they always allowed them to do the girly push ups. Of course you are never going to do normal push ups if you dont try.

Of course, I also thought it was silly that they were getting coddled. I know they don't have as much strength, especially if they arent training, but they dont usually weigh as much either. I think it kinda balances out.

As for chins. I dont think I can do them very well myself. Granted I havent really done them recently since its hard to find them high enough that I can actually hang from without hitting the ground... but stronger i get the more i weigh so its not like its been getting easier to do them. Maybe ill try them one of these days.

I think the truth of the matter is, Women have tendencies to have much weaker chests then their male counterparts. Mostly because we are raised to believe that cardio will make us unbelievabley sexy (my entire family is cardio nuts, mother is a marathon runner - looks fantastic btw- and my father is a sprinter). Also Women have a fear of training heavy in the chest, it took me a year to dispell this myth in myself and Im now training heavy and LOVING IT!.

I used to be unable to do any pushups, even if they were 'chick-style' but now I can pump them out. I used to hardly be able to do a pull-up even on the assisted machine, now I can maybe squeak out one. For some reason Pull-ups cause a lot of problems for me, they really hurt my elbows and make a lot of weird popping noises. AS for why I still cant do sets of unassisted pull-ups after a year? I have no idea.. .I can only assume it is because our muscular system develops differently then in males and, because of that, we are unable to develop the strength required to lift our bodyweight up. Trust me, I want to, I just lack the strength to do it for any decent amount of reps. Doesnt make me any less 'strong' in the sense of a woman, but it doest mean I try any less hard either.

As for the males have advanatages comment, yes, testosterone is your advantage. We have it in our system, but just in much smaller quantities. Of course it will give you the ability to work out longer, harder, recover faster, build muscle quicker etc. But I still think that I have a physical advantage over the fatass who sits on his couch with a beer. Advantages are in the eye of the beholder, women may have to train twice as long as males to make half the gains but I believe that our advantage comes from the fact that we have to compete against men every day we are in the gym. WE have to compete against the false ideals that society has implanted into the female mind, males just have to compete against the fact that they believe women to think that big biceps are the 'ideal'. Guys know weightlifting will build muscle, women fear the muscle it builds. I believe the advantage this gives a woman like me is....

I get to feel big and strong even though Im actually weak. LOL!

[edit- big pointless post- I know... Im currently in psych class, we're talking about Freud... I guess I just decided I would get into a big weird argument to fit with my class argument. ]
    Last edited by Ruffian; 01-18-2007 at 11:00 AM.
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Most of my fatass friends completely wreck me in the strength department. Two of them are in the 220-250 range, one is about 360, and none of them so much as lift a finger when it comes to taking care of their bodies. Yet when it's time to move heavy furniture they can brute around things that I have to push myself to move. Never underestimate being outweighed by 60 pounds, apparantly.

Little tangent to an ancient thread.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Yeah... basically, women get a LOT of slack in physical education like Just a Girl mentioned. They're allowed to execute pushups on their knees, etc. They also get a 2 minute time extension for running miles, etc. It's pretty sad that this has to be... 'cause the men get no slack at all when it comes to the flexibility test, when women are generally superior when it comes to that aspect. They're like cats...

I like cats, they're so cute and cudly!

Banned
    well im guessing because most girls dont want to be jacked. so they dont do pushups and pullups

Been a while since I've been on the forum, I can't believe this thread is still alive.
    lol
    Train.

Quote Originally Posted by jurzysfinest View Post
    well im guessing because most girls dont want to be jacked. so they dont do pushups and pullups
    Wow, judging by all your responses on this subject, you seem to have the idea that it's possible for a woman to just get big and muscular overnight. I mean, it's hard for a MAN to get big, so it's even harder for a woman.

"Ladies, don't go squatting, benching, or deadlifting! You might blow up into a bodybuilder by accident!"

Oops! I benched one too many sets. Now look how big and muscular my chest is! Damn, what will I do now? This sucks.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    Wow, judging by all your responses on this subject, you seem to have the idea that it's possible for a woman to just get big and muscular overnight. I mean, it's hard for a MAN to get big, so it's even harder for a woman.

"Ladies, don't go squatting, benching, or deadlifting! You might blow up into a bodybuilder by accident!"

Oops! I benched one too many sets. Now look how big and muscular my chest is! Damn, what will I do now? This sucks.
    Personally I like my women firm and voluptuous at best, not striated. Most of the women here who weightlift, are buff by female standards. I thought it was totally tyrannical of the mod (Paul Stagg) to lock the other thread and promote his own personal opinion of ripped women (he likes 'em) by deleting anyone's post that disagreed.
    Last edited by chemical Andy; 01-18-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Im currently in psych class, we're talking about Freud... I guess I just decided I would get into a big weird argument to fit with my class argument. ]

What do you think of the "Womyn's Studies" classes, it kicks butt doesn't it?

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig James View Post
    I think it is because they don't have as much test running through their bodies, thus they don't manufacture as much muscle as men do.
    that's not true im a 13 year old female and i can do like 30 correct push ups going to a 90 degree angle with my elbows

Quote Originally Posted by carradavis View Post
    that's not true im a 13 year old female and i can do like 30 correct push ups going to a 90 degree angle with my elbows
    Very old thread.

But what you quoted is right. You don't have as high of musculature as men do and never will without steroids. It's a simple hormone reason. It's life.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I read 2 and a half pages of this before I realized it was from 2007 -_-;

Wannabebig Member
    I helped coach the girls weightlifting team back in high school and all of the team could do pushups (and quite a few) and some could do dips and a few could do pullups.. and i seriously doubt any of them were juicing; they didn't even take it serious lol

edit: way old damn
    Last edited by Power of Mind; 11-16-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    6'1" BW 280 (7/23/12)
    Must... Pull... Heavy...

I dont think hit has too much to do with hormones.... Sure women have less testosterone, but they still CAN build muscle, and they can still get very strong for their size.... I think its more to do with them never being expected to do these things, and its sorta a self fulfilling profecy, brought on by society.

And my GF does pullups, and is even working on adding additional weight to them now.