Thread: A True Bodybuilding Legend

A True Bodybuilding Legend

These comments are Dr Siffs and his take on the SWIS Symposium. One particular comment of his caught my attention and it was on bodybuilding legend Lee Haney.

"The opening address by Lee Haney was a real pleasure to listen to.
    Though he spoke about his own achievements over his illustrious career in
    bodybuilding, he couched any egotism in such disarming, amusing and natural
    terms that everyone was captivated by all that he had to say, despite the
    fact that his beliefs about strength training often bore little relationship
    to the findings of science. Nevertheless, his talk on the "Power of
    Preventative Treatment" would have served as a useful guide to the aspiring
    bodybuilder - it was easy to follow, made no reference to trite or redundant
    ideas or beliefs like Times Under Tension, Superslow, special training toys,
    complicated periodisation schemes, intricate split routines or guruesque
    secrets. Just lots of personal experience, common sense and a charming
    ability to get away with a little murder when his facts needed some revision.

Lee was animated, interesting, always beaming that huge grin of his and still
    in excellent shape, unlike so many of those grossly misshapen other
    bodybuilding heroes and heroines whose heads and facial skin have been
    mutated by excessive use of "ergogenic aids". Sadly, most of the women
    bodybuilders there at SWIS looked facially ill, wrinkled, flat-chested and
    prematurely aged, even though their muscular bodies may have looked otherwise
    from a distance. In this respect, it is apparent that many bodybuilders need
    to learn how to optimise rather than maximise their stacks of steroids and
    other aids.

Lee, like Bill Pearl, that real master of politeness, humility and
    helpfulness, are a huge credit to the game of bodybuilding. Many others in
    bodybuilding (and many other sports) would do well to learn from these two
    how to communicate and treat everyone else with interest and respect - and
    let one's achievements speak for oneself instead of one's overinflated egos.
    Unfortunately, I could not attend Bill's closing speech, because I had to
    catch my return flight to Denver, but I did manage to spend some time with
    him in between presentations. Anyway, knowing Bill, I am certain that his
    talk must have been supremely genuine, interesting and uplifting - maybe
    others who were there can comment."
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

pic?

He's an eight time Mr Olympia and has a terrific physique.
    Here's a link.

http://www.bodybuilders.com/haney.htm
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

thanks for the post, and I agree with alot of what Siff said especially about humility and the current state of BBing.
    Last edited by nightop; 09-22-2002 at 04:43 PM.