The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building of a Champion

Well my name is quite deciving. I am actually the heavyweight wrestler for Duke university (After getting to 217 from 250, the other heavyweight has career ending knee surgery, at which point in time our Coach asked me how I felt about gaining the 30 lbs. back that I had just lost ) I am starting this journal for my own purposes, I tend to lose my own records, and would like suggestions on my program since our strength coach is awful (He lives and dies by 12-10-8-6-4 for everything, size or strength)

In terms of my goals, I am currenly soley concerned with gaining strength for now, closer to the season I will start training more quick twitch muscle fiberes and worrying about muscle endurance. I want to stay around 250 and lose some body fat. I feel as if I weighed any more it would be unhealthy (Although according to my BMI I am morbidly obese ) Another main concern of mine is maintaning flexibility. I am currently having lower back problems b/c I am not flexible enough , but I am starting to take Yoga. Anyone who thinks that is gay can go do themselves in their own buttholes.

Current Stats:

Height: 5'9''
    Weight: 250
    Arms: 19''
    Chest: 50''
    Neck: 18.5''

Thats all I know b/c I was just measured for a Tux....

BF%: ~17-18%

Weights:

Bench: 4x275
    Hang Clean: 4x225
    Jammer Press: 4x290
    Squat: 4x335
    Power Shrugs: 4x405
    Push Press: 4x205
    Leg Press: 4x770

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head.....

Supplements:

We are sponsered by ISS

5g Efervesent Creatine
    1 Multi-Vitamine Pack
    1 serving Pro M3 Protien
    3 Caps ZMA at night
    'Bout to go get myself some Cod Liver Oil.....

Food:
    Varies....its hard to follow any kind of strict diet on a college campus, pretty much just try to eat healthy.

Sleep:
    NONE!!!!!!!! Never more than 7 hours a day, its gonna be my downfall

And begin......

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

wow, a fifth person from duke now. what does your face look like? i am trying to figure out if i know who you are. i assume you work out at wilson right?
    Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man Schweigen.

~L. Wittgenstein

No, I usually work out in the Varsity weight room in Murray (Its in the training room behind Cameron) I think its nicer, Power lifting stations, Bumper weights, Jammer Press and the sort. If I do lift in Wilson its at night, and I am usually wearing a Duke Wrestling shirt. I am the big kid wearing a Duke Wrestling shirt who has brown hair (The 197 pounder is pretty huge too, but he shaves his head)
    The vision of a champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion when no one else is watching

doesn't help too much. all the wrestlers wear the wrestling shirts, but i think i know who you are.

i'm always in there at night also, usually from 6:30-8:30. normally have on either a bright yellow or black shirt, and board-shorts. im about 330-340. the kid i workout with has a shaved head. ask mike (on the wrestling team), i'm friends with him. you wuold probably recognize me if you saw me.
    Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man Schweigen.

~L. Wittgenstein

Now, this is no knock, but you are quite short for a heavyweight wrestler, no?

yeah, I am, but I have trained alot in Greco (was on team USA) so I can handle the bog boys.

Yeah I am pretty sure I know you you are, hard to miss...hahahaha, j/k
    The vision of a champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion when no one else is watching

Today not a bad day in the gym, switched from 12-10-8-6-4 to 10-6-6-4-2 (If there is energy). I liked that much better, I was making huge gains on my sets of 12 (30 pounds on my bench in 3 weeks) but none on my sets of 4(only 15 lbs), My sets of 4 were much better today.

Lift:
    Bench: 10/224 6/265 6/265 4/275
    Hammer Lat Pulldown: 10/230 6/270 6/290 4/340
    Upright Row: 10/115 6/145 6/145 4/155
    DB Military Press: 10/70(each DB) 6/80 6/85 4/90
    Low Row: 10/270 6/320 6/365 4/380
    Pull-Ups: Burn-out

Food:
    Pretty bad, had a test today so I was studying instead of eating breakfast, but then we went to Outback for dinner, which was very good

Sleep:
    6 hours last night, pretty uninterupted

Outback is always good. Cool to see you starting a journal, man. We should go lift sometime. Much better rep range for your goals.

Any way you can get convinced to deadlift?

yoga. hahahahha. yoga.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 03-31-2003 at 08:58 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Welcome to journal land.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-31-2003 at 09:03 PM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by Narcissus
    wow, a fifth person from duke now.
    no. more like....7th? or more. there were others before.

Today not a bad day......
    Ran a 5k trail, not taking it too fast.
    Food:

Breakfast-
    3 Eggs
    1 bowl of Oatmeal with Brown Sugar and Raisins
    16 oz. OJ

Lunch-
    Large Helping of Stir Fry with Lots of Veggies, Black Beans,
    Chicken, Chick-Peas, Seaseme Seeds, and Soy Sauce
    2 Pints Chocolate Milk

Dinner-
    8 oz. Tuna Steak
    Side of Snap Peas
    Half a ear of corn
    Melon, Cantalope, and Grapes
    2 Cartons of Milk

Gonna have a 50g protien shake before I go to bed

And yes, yoga is cool. Think of all the flexible chicks I am going to meet......and then think about what that means......

Great to see yet another journal started. Hope you stick with it man.

LOL, Outback is some great food. I cant go there because I end up eating a bloomin' onion, ceasar salad, steak, dessert, etc.

Good day today, great pump in the gym. On a funny note, when I was doing weighted dips with a teammate, he says "Wow, having 25 lbs. between my legs really makes dips a lot harder." Me being as witty as I am, I reply, "Welcome to my world my friend" hahahahhahahhaha

Lifting:

Hang Cleans: 10/155 6/205 6/205 4/225 2/245
    Leg Press: 10/540 6/720 6/720 4/770
    Leg Curl: 12/90 12/105 12/115
    Box Step-Ups: 12/40 12/45
    Rear Delt Raises: 12/30 12/35 12/40
    Power Shrugs: 10/315 6/405 6/405 4/425
    Weighted Dips: 15/BW 10/25 8/35 6/45

Sleep:
    Only 6 hours, Math HW plus 9:10 in the morning equals no sleep

Food:
    Breakfast: 2 Pancakes, 2 Scrambled Eggs, 2 Hard Boiled Eggs,
    3 peices of Melon, 1 Glass OJ 1 Glass Skim Milk

Lunch: Chicken Pasta in Marinara sauce, side of Bean Salad,
    1 Mango Madness Snapple

Dinner: BOSTON MARKET!!! 1/4 White Meat, 1 Side Sweet Potato
    Casorole, 1 Side Apples, 1 Peice of Corn Bread

Meal 4: Probably a Cheese Burger

Meal 5: 1 50g Protien 4g Carbs Protien Shake

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was offically inducted into the Duke University Gun Club . It comes with all kind of perks, like the ability to lift at midnight in Yoh's weight room, and....well I also get a card and thats it. I was kinda upset though, I was only measured at 18.5''. Granted that was 1.5''s more than I needed, but still, it was .5''s less than when I was messured 2 months ago.....I want to see if that tape was regulation
    Last edited by Duke197; 04-02-2003 at 05:28 PM.

Not a great day, got 8.5 hours of sleep last night, but was still exhausted all day. Was outside all day and burt as ****. After therapy, I wrestled for about 15 minutes and then rowed for about 10 minutes, kept breaking the ergs Food wasn't great, think I'm getting sick because I haven't been hungry all day. Oh Well, better luck tommorow

Originally posted by Duke197

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was offically inducted into the Duke University Gun Club . It comes with all kind of perks, like the ability to lift at midnight in Yoh's weight room, and....well I also get a card and thats it. I was kinda upset though, I was only measured at 18.5''. Granted that was 1.5''s more than I needed, but still, it was .5''s less than when I was messured 2 months ago.....I want to see if that tape was regulation
    Only 18.5 he says, geezus! It's not the perks but the honour of being in that special club. So congrats on being officially inducted.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Friday:
    Went to lift way too last and Murray was closed, so I had to lift in Wilson. Not great lift, didn't have everything I needed. Started doing 1 armed cleans, very hard. Don't have my chart here, but will update when I have it

Hang clean strength is nuts man, good work. Really really impressive. I can barely power clean what you can friggin' hang clean, lol.

MonStar
    hahahaha, thanks man, Hang Cleans are really my favorite lift, you really use the explosion in wrestling.

Monday
    Today was a really weird day. I broke 300 for 2 on flat bench for the first time since mid-season, and was having a really good pump untill half way through dumbell military press, and which point in time I just completley died, started to get lightheaded and whatnot. So I just decided to leave and go back tommorow to finish since I was obviously not getting anywhere Again, left my folder in my locker, so I'll get it back here and enter my info later, but like I said, it was weird, the first 4 excersises I made great gains, but then crashed and burned

Lifting
    Lifted in Wilson b/c I needed a nap during the day..

Bench: 10/225 6/265 6/275 4/295 2/305
    Lat Pulldown: 10/200 6/237.5 6/237.5 4/250
    Upright Row: 10/115 6/145 6/155 4/165
    DB Military Press: 10/75(each DB) 6/85 6/85 4/90
    Low Row: 10/270 6/360 6/360 4/380 2/400
    Last edited by Duke197; 04-10-2003 at 11:59 PM.

K, I know I've been bad about posting, but here are the past two days

Wednesday

Sleep
    Didn't really get any sleep, about 5 hours
    NOTE: ZMA = very vivid dreams & almost impossible to wake up in the morning

Training

Hang Cleans: 10/155 6/205 6/215 4/235 2/255 <Failed>
    <Dead Lifts were awful, but I am recovering from a lower back injury>
    Dead Lift: 10/180 6/275 6/295 4/315
    Leg Curl: 12/90 12/100 12/110
    Rear Delt Raises: 12/35 12/40 12/40
    Power Shrugs: 10/315 6/425 6/455 4/475

Nutrition
    Good for the most part, until I got HAMMERED at night, not to great for the test levels and est, but whatever. It was fun

Sleep
    Again, another bad night, got only 5 hours of sleep the night before

-----------------------------------------------

Thursday

Sleep

Too much for my classes, about 10 hours of the best kind of sleep, passed out

Training

Uhhh, yeah, for any guy who I have ever made fun of for taking aerobics, I am very sorry. I was on my way into the gym to run the indoor track when I pass my assistant wrestling coach, and ask him what he is doing. He replies that he is going to do Dance Aerobics, and that I have to join him. It was 40 minutes of Percilating pain. hahahahahhaha. Well, its much more fun than the treadmill

Nutrition

Skipped Breakfast, but not bad

Meal 1: 2 Bowls of cereal, 1 Gatorade
    Meal 2: Chicken Fingers, some Onion Rings, Multi-vitiamins
    Meal 3: Foot Long Teriakai Chicken
    Meal 4: 50g Protien low Carb shake, Creatine, ZMA

That is all
    Last edited by Duke197; 04-11-2003 at 12:19 AM.

Dance aerobics and yoga. I'm starting to wonder about you, bro.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Belial

HAHAHAHA, well it wasn't a dance aerobics class, just my coach and I in the wrestling room. But its OK, I am very comfortable in my sexuality
    Last edited by Duke197; 04-11-2003 at 02:18 PM.

Friday

Sleep
    Once again, slept through all my classes, so I got a good amount of sleep, about 9 hours

Training
    Incline Bench Press: 10/90(Dumbells) 6/95 6/95 4/100 <Need higher dumbells then 100's>
    Close-Grip Bench Perss: 10/185 6/245 6/245<failed> 4/255
    Straight-Arm Pulldown: 12/80 10/90 8/100
    Jammer Press: 10/230 6/270 6/290 <failed> 4/290 2/320
    Reverse Curls: 12/75 12/95 12/105
    Weighted Dips: 12/25 10/35 8/45 8/45

Tuesday

Bench I failed on the second set of 6, but then I blasted through 305 for 2, so who know, maybe I should take it easier on the sets of 10.

Sleep
    6 Hours

Training
    Bench: 10/225 6/265 6/275 <Failed> 4/285 2/305
    Lat Pulldown: 10/230 6/90 6/320<failed> 4/340<failed>
    Upright Row: 10/115 6/155 6/165 4/175
    DB Military Press: 10/70(each DB) 6/85 6/90 4/95
    Low Row: 10/270 6/360 6/360 4/380 2/410

Yeah man, I'd say 6 at 265, then 6 at just 10 pounds more, is pushing it a little if you're looking to hit bigger maxes, unless you stretch out your recovery between sets a bit...

Thursday

Weight 256.6

Training

Need to start warming up more, my first lifts are always ****ty
    <F> = Failed, didn't get all the reps
    <Hang Cleans were awful, Stupid Women's Field Hockey team distracting me....>
    Hang Cleans: 10/155 6/215 6/225<F> 4/235<F> 2/225
    Leg Press: 10/540 6/720 6/740 4/790 <Needs to go up>
    Leg Curl: 12/110 12/110 12/110
    Rear Delt Raises: 12/40 12/40 12/45
    Power Shrugs: 10/315 6/455 6/475 4/505