The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Training Mishaps

I figure it's been awhile since I've seen one of these threads, and they usually always crack me up to the point that I'm laughing, and crying at the same time. I've only had a couple so far.

1) The two absolute biggest guys at my gym were benching, and for some reason, they abandoned the bench for a good few minutes. Anyway, this guy was looking for a five, and wow, there it is, on the end of this bar that NO ONE is using for at least three minutes. So I snag it for him, give it to him, and continue to quasi spot him. Well, the big dudes get back, and one of the guys gets under the bench and starts repping. Looking back, he was probably doing about 300 lbs., maybe a tad more, a tad less, either way, it looked like a lot (By the way, these guys ONLY bench, I have never seen them do ANYTHING else). So this guy gets done, and proceeds to interrogate everyone within ten yards of him, as to "WHO TOOK MY 5 LB. PLATE FROM ONE SIDE OF THIS ****! IT WAS UNBALENCED! I WANT TO KNOW WHO DID IT!" So finally, he came up to me, really pissed off, "Did you take my 5lb. plate off the side of the bar?" I just nodded my head no, shrugged, and pointed at some dumbass in the power rack doing curls and said, "I think that guy might have done it, he was looking for weights, and he's got a couple of fives on his bar." I don't know what happened after that, but I sure know I was scared shitless.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Starting all over again :(
    Lmao!!!! I would have done the same thing

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    They were only gone 3 minutes and you started pirating their bar? that's pretty harsh, I'd be pissed too.

erm...i've got one...but this is my own mishap.

i decided i was gonna do my stiff-leggeds in the power rack, cuz hell, i wanted ot and no one else was using it. (i'd just finished squatting).

so i figure okay....i'll put the pegs at the bottom, rack up, and then pull up right? well anyways, i got everything set the way i want and start pulling. except, erm...i forgot to put the ties on the ends...and as i'm pulling up...(oh and stepping back up on to my little platform for greater depth) the plates fall off one side. and then i lsot balance and the plates fell off the other side.

i wa slike..

well some of my gym buddies jumped in, chastised me for not putting ties on, and then we reconfigured the rack so i got an easier pull-off. it was quite amusing actually.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

The chill in the air is me cyclone's Avatar
    F them, they would have done the same thing if they needed to.
    If you're going down.....go down swinging.~ me

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.~unknown

she is very nice, we had sex first, then spoke later, I liked that.~Rock

Never start cannibalizing bars that are loaded with more weight than you can lift, until you're VERY sure the user is gone.

Good rule to live by.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

The chill in the air is me cyclone's Avatar
    oh yea, this is about mishaps.......here's one that happened to me

We get this new bench in the gym, its a little narrower and a little taller than the one I was used to. I go for my first work set of b.p. with 225, thumbless grip as usual, my partner gives me a lift off and my body shifted causing me to lose the bar with my right hand, my buddy freaked out, that side of the bar crashes down on my chest, the spring collar and the weights come off and crash on the floor about the time my training partner remembers that he is supposed to help me, so he leans in to grab the bar about the same time the weight on the other side started heading south, the bar missed his head by about an inch. Needless to say, chest work was out for about a month. I know something like that is serious, but we probably looked like an episode of Laurel and Hardy get buff.

Still, the funniest damn thing I have ever seen in the gym is a lady falling off the treadmill, not once, but three times in a 20 min. period.
    If you're going down.....go down swinging.~ me

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.~unknown

she is very nice, we had sex first, then spoke later, I liked that.~Rock

Originally posted by Belial
    Never start cannibalizing bars that are loaded with more weight than you can lift, until you're VERY sure the user is gone.

Good rule to live by.
    Well said.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    was the lady drunk?

Joey54's crazy partner DumbbellTosser's Avatar
    Seanilles, that was a jackass thing to do, bro. Never screw with people's weights like that, especially if they were gone for only 3 min (powerlifters rest for at least 5min sometimes). But....I must say.... you covered up quite nicely!! Damn funny!!
    It's like I'm a juicer... but I'm not.

well, when I used to have a training partner, Centaurion, it was like a laverne and shirly in the gym or something, hehe, theres a gay joke again.

anyways, once this dude got all worked up and trhew a 5lb plate as a disco all the across the gym and bam, between me and Cent, I held him, and Cent slapped him, and he hulked out a sorry.

Another time, I farted so loud during a bench press set, and it happend om my dead last rep, and Cent laughed so hard he couldnt take the bar up, and I laughed so hard I couldnt push, and it was about 250, so it was heavy enough for me, I just kept farting because I laughed so hard.

Another time cent lost his balanced and fell backwards on top of me with a 320lbs squat, and the edge of the rod hit the mirror at the side and broke it, it was a hell of ruckage, and stressing too.

I got tons of those storys, hehe, ah the memories.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Rock do you even lift anymore?

Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Rock
    Another time, I farted so loud during a bench press set, and it happend om my dead last rep, and Cent laughed so hard he couldnt take the bar up, and I laughed so hard I couldnt push, and it was about 250, so it was heavy enough for me, I just kept farting because I laughed so hard.
    Farting is hilarious.

I like the fart-every-rep-during-a-10-rep-squat-set myself.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by Belial

Good rule to live by.

Word.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

I hate those ******* at the gym who think there Arnold or ******* superman. I was at the gym there yesterday and this fat arse was doing like 20lb dumbell curls and after a few minutes took off his whole top as if he had a six pack or something. His belly was so fat he couldnt even see his toes. And then comes the grunts as if he was curling 100lbs. They really ******* piss me off.

he took hsi shirt off?

Yeh! I presume he felt that he had a body that the chicks would die for and that by having no shirt on would help him to lift better. He might have been gay

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    So Rock and Centaurion were training partners? Damn, that's some hardcore names, who runs your gym, Conan?

I still train for natural mr.olympia Powerman, as that is my goal in life, to beat John Hansen, I get bigger everytime, not all that stronger, but bigger.

Our real names are SteiN and Hassan, but that doesnt have the same clang to it.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.