Thread: maintaining weight and losing bodyfat ?

[ sick of tuna ]

maintaining weight and losing bodyfat ?

hi there

i need to pick u're knowledgable brains for this. i have never had a BF test but i guess i am around 20%.

my question is : is it possible to maitain a weight and lose BF whilst weightlifting. I do a 3 day split taking 1 day off in between routines and eating 2000 - 2200 cals a day which i believe is below my maintenance, i weight 205 lbs and am 5'8" tall.

i ask this question because the mirror tells me i am doin ok but i dropped from 200 lb to 194 lb when i started lifting , but then went back up to 205 lb but look better than i did initially. Basically is it possible to gain muscle and drop BF at a rate where your weight stays the same ????

i suppose the real way to tell is to get a BF test every couple of months or so but to date haven't ever had one.

what do y'all think about my situation ?

thanx in advance !
    time lifting :: 3.5 months
    weight :: 202 lbs
    height :: 5'8"
    Arms :: 15.5"
    chest :: 45"
    waist :: 38"
    legs :: ??"

well personally i was gaining when i wasnt at school and i was lifting this summer but now im at college my strenght is going up and my bodyweight is pretty much plateud... i think its cuz of lack of carbs ... and a lil lower calories than usual... but yes its possible i eat around 300-330 grams of protein i get aprox 25-35 grams of fat and rest are carbs ... i even drink beer but i save carb calories for when i drink...

Grasshoppa
    I'd suggest eating more fat, Puttn. Not sure of your daily caloric intake, but that looks like it would be below 15-20% of your daily requirement which I think is essential if you're bulking, or even cutting for that matter.

In any event, yes it is possible to maintain weight and lose body fat. Muscle weighs more than body fat...the mirror is a better test than the scale is.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

shao-lin... i do 40 % protein 40% carbs 20% fat

Originally posted by Puttn
    shao-lin... i do 40 % protein 40% carbs 20% fat
    You're math is a little off my friend.

40/40/20 P/C/F means that you will get 2x as many cals from protein as you will get from fat. but...

300-330g of P = 1200-1320 cals
    25-35g of F = 225-315cals

You would also be getting:
    300-330g of C = 1200-1320cals

Lets pick the minimum # to work with.

1200 + 1200 + 225 = 2625total cals.

Now say you want to eat 2625 total cals with a 40/40/20 P/C/F ratio, you SHOULD eat:

1050 cals of C = 262.5g of C
    1050 cals of P = 262.5g of P
    525 cals of F = ~60g of F

Just a bit of math for you
    Last edited by Yanick; 09-27-2002 at 08:14 AM.
    Yan

'Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems'
    -Homer Simpson

thanks... but i like to eat 300 grams of protein and lower the fat a lil lower, just because iused to be really fat and its a psychological thing

Grasshoppa
    Eating fat does not mean it will turn into fat in the body. In fact, if you don't want to keep your bodyfat, you need to eat a good amount of EFAs so your body will burn stored sources.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Eating fat won't make you fat....that'd be like a bald guy eating hair to grow more up top.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

no problem bro, but just like these guys have said, fat does not make you fat, excess cals do.
    Yan

-Homer Simpson

Grasshoppa
    Plus EFAs help regulate hormone levels, i.e. test levels.
    Shao-LiN

Plus, i forgot to mention, all i did was rearrange where your calories are coming from, i didn't up them, so if you are losing/gaining/maintaining on your current program, you will continue to do so with my #'s.
    Yan

-Homer Simpson

well i eat a lot of soynut butter which is where most my fats come from.. rest is oatmeal and chicken and tuna