Thread: Training when sore? Mega Soreness!!

Hybrid View

Training when sore? Mega Soreness!!

Hello everyone.

Simple question - If I eat PERFECTLY and get the 8 hours sleep every night is it OK for me to train when sore for
    a) the same still-sore musclegroup?
    b) different musclgroup

Related:
    After a leg day I am sore for as much as 5 days at a time - the 2nd and 3rd day after the workout I can barely move (I mean it - this is NOT a joke).
    Should I train on these days?
    Would doing this constititue overtraining.

I am NOT a newbie to lifting - no way - but despite this, my body is not sufficiently conditioned to have shortened the time for soreness to disappear COMPLETELY for as much as 5 days for legs and 3 days for upper body....
    WTF????

Incidentally - for the last 2 years I've been following the Stuart McRobert style of training with excellent results. (low volume/compound lifts/ NEVER training when sore (definitely not the same muscle group anyway.)

Your collective encyclopedic knowledge would be very much valued.

F40
    The old F40 is BACK, cocky grinning, smiling and happy.... at last! (with a few more lbs of muscle too!)

Yes you can train, if another musclgroup is stil sore.

I don't know if you can train while that muscle is still sore. Personaly I would not, some should be able to give you a better answer.

Wannabebig Member
    thats great that you get sore after these workouts...means you have intensity in the gym. But that is the reason why it is good to work each muscle group once per week .... to allow for recovery. cardio is fine and may be beneficial in recovery but dont train the same muscle group while overly sore. mild soreness its ok.
    Hether
    USMC

Hether

In what way does cardio assist recovery?

Also just to clarify - suppose my quads are REALLY REALLY sore - say 3 days after a workout - Despite that muscle-groups evident non-recovery, would the CNS be sufficiently recovered to train again - given that 3 days had passed since my last workout?

But it would definitely NOT be a good idea to train my quads again right?

Final thing - is soreness and recovery of muscle groups actually correlated? So if I work my back and don't feel it the next day, does that mean that
    a) My workout was ineffectual
    OR
    b) My back has already recovered?

F40
    The old F40 is BACK, cocky grinning, smiling and happy.... at last! (with a few more lbs of muscle too!)

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    I think that the degree of soreness you describes....."of being so sore you can barely aftr 5 days.....well sorness is common to go that long but, not to be so bad that you can barely move.

Check out this article it goes into training frequency.

http://www.testosterone.net/articles/211more.html

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

I think you should eat more if you are still sore after 5 days. And get more than 8 hrs sleep. Soreness shouldn't last this long, you are recovering extremely slow.
    As for your question, I believe that it is ok to train a muscle if it is still slightly sore, as long as there aren't any signs of CNS overtraining.

Ah yes, you can also try doing some recovery work to speed recovery. I think that is all covered in the testostrone.net article above though. Check it out, it's a pretty good article.
    Last edited by gettinjackT; 09-27-2002 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks for your feedback guys - much appreciated.