The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Down went my bench press...

i figured i would take a month and only use dumbells for inclines, regular and decline for my chest, in hopes it would hit my chest a little differernt and put these magic "stabilizers" and thus making me do more weight on the barbell bench. boy i was wrong! i layed down on the bench for the first time in a month thinking that i went up 15 lbs. that i could do with the dumbells my bench press would surely go up or at least stay the same. i could only do 30 lbs. less then my max of what i was doing a month ago!!

from now on i am going to try to incorporate the barbell bench into my workout in hopes to getting the weight back up! the dumbells are only going to be used on days when i don't have a spotter. it is frustrating, over the summer i got up to 200 lbs. then now back down to 170 over the course of a month ....ok, i am now done bitchin like a little girl

tuttut i have to tell myself not to neglect the bench tuttut
    Last edited by AdamGberg; 09-30-2002 at 06:49 PM.
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

But what is your goal? Do you just want to get stronger on barbell bench pressing, or do you want a well developed chest. You might find if you give those dumbbells a while longer that you will progress a ton with those and see better results in chest development. That's what happened with me. And I have witnessed other cases where folks got better results with their chest doing dips and using dumbbells. Just depends on what is important to you.
    peace-

Craig

Can't totally drop specific technique work even while training for more general qualities.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

they aren't really the same movement i guess.
    you'll get that weight back up in a couple of weeks, no doubt.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    I'm sure that after a few bench sessions you'll begin using all the strenght your acquired trough the other movements.

Personnally after using dumbells for a month, when I came back to barbell benching my strenght was the same as before but a few weeks after (now) my bench is exploding...

Wannabebig Member
    what magnus said....your body will remember where you were, and if youve been doing iso. work and seeing improvement, your bench will come back to you fast. I had sorta the same situation making the transition from working on a smith going to free weight, my bench dropped by over 70 lbs, now its back within a month and im actually lifting more than i could on a smith. Somethin about them stabilizers. BTW..i try an "scare" my chest on my heavy days..ill do a warm up, then ill load as much as 40 lbs more than my last best, get it off the rack and start to lower a few inches, then rack it again...Just my way of letting my chest know that its coming soon
    chest :49 in. arms : 18 inches
    waist: 33 inches Thighs : 30 inches

I dont care if I can Bench a Toyota...as long as I can look like a Vette......me

"hehe, my dad wants to be a beefcake".....Brandon, my 12 yr.old son, gotta love em sheeesh

thanx guys, hopefully my chest was just needs to remember how to barbell bench again. just was a little scared.

A. F.
    Originally posted by vabeefcake
    as much as 40 lbs more than my last best, get it off the rack and start to lower a few inches, then rack it again...Just my way of letting my chest know that its coming soon
    And if you can't hold the weight and are unable to push it back up?

that's +40lb extra falling on you

IMO the method you've described doesn't do any good, and is actually dangerous if you don't have a spotter..

like benchmonster said, you can load as much extra weight as you want, but when you lower the regular weight down its still the same.

I agree with what the other guys say. I have switched back to barbell bench two different times from a different routine. Both times, my bench went up about 30 pounds in a period of 2 weeks. I just think it has to do with your body getting used to the movement again.
    5-9 170

thanks ryan for the good news, i will fill you guys in what happens in 2 weeks!

It's called coordination. They are 2 different movements requiring different patterns of muscular involvement. After a few sessions your nervous system should re-acclimate to the bench press, and if you have gained any muscle from the dumbbell presses, you should quickly surpass your old bench press mark.

This goes to the old argument of variety in a routine. Many trainees mistake neural acclimation to an exercise as muscular progress. They are not the same.

Originally posted by chris mason
    .... This goes to the old argument of variety in a routine. Many trainees mistake neural acclimation to an exercise as muscular progress. They are not the same.
    you mean mentally making gains like going up in weight doesn't always mean muscle growth...wow...ok, i think i got it. thanx chris

Give yourself 2 or 3 time on the bb and you'll find that you probably did increase your strength. If you haven't benched in a month it will take a couple times back to familiarize your muscles to the excercise. That's been my experience, and everytime I come back to the bench after time off it, I need to go lighter for the 1st couple times. But overall my bench accually had gone up.

okay I didn't read the whole thread before I posted, so my short answer is dito to what the others said.

Dumbbells have been my savour as far as chest training is concerned, i switched from bb to db and my size gains have been impressive, i started with a lighter weight and focued 100% form ive gradually been increasing the weight eating right and the chest has almost popped out.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

ron, do you have bb bench anymore? or do you consider it one of those ## things which have little to do with mass gains, but more so mental gains?? peace