The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Simplistic
    Here is the rest of me-
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your arms are insanely huge for the rest of you.

Are you cutting? if so, your obliques and serratus seem to be coming through nicely.

You should get someone else to take some photos so you can focus fully on posing and such so we can get a good idea of what you look like - which is promising from those two shots.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Good physique.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Your arms are huge! Abs are coming out too.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

You look great!

bugger me!!

your arms are like telegraph poles!!

You could do with some work on other body parts, but like CD says we need more physique like pictures.

nice work,

B-R
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Simplistic
    Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback guys.
    Chicken, you are right, my arms are my strong point. My calves and hams are my weakest points. I am bulking right now. My chest looks a lot better when my bf% is lower.
    ElPietro, HomeYield and Chris, thanks for the compliments.
    Big Ron and CD you guys are right, I need to get some pics taken by somebody else so I can get some better shots. I need to practice a bit first.

Simplistic
    Tues: legs

Deadlifts-
    3x8 295

Leg press-
    1x8 450
    1x8 460

Standing leg curls-
    1x8 40
    1x8 45

I felt real strong on my deads, I was planning to go up 5 lbs over last week, but due to a challenge from my brother I decided to go up 10 (he went up 10, and I couldn't let him out do me)
    I've added a couple sets of standing leg curls because my hams suck. Hopefully this will bring them out a bit.

Nice sets of DLs Neil, impressive strength man. Leg press strength is also good, keep up the hard work man. Your pics were impressive by the way.

Simplistic
    Thanks Monstar. I want 335x8, hopefully I can get there in the next couple months.

Looking good Neil. You definitely have a set of arms on you

Simplistic
    I think I have a slight case of chronic overtraining, so I'm either going to take today off, or do a couple sets of bodyweight chins. I haven't been getting good deep sleep, and my appetite has decreased a bit. I think a few extra days off will help a lot.

Why such high reps on the deadlifts Neil?

Simplistic
    You know, that's a good question. I guess I just picked 8 as my number somehow thinking the higher rep count would stimulate a little more hypertrophy. Whether this is true or not I really don't know. I could probably do sets or 5 or 6 and it wouldn't really make a difference. I'm such a stickler for progression that I don't want to change anything up now. I just want to stick with doing sets of 8 and see how long I can keep adding weight to the bar.
    Last edited by Neil; 04-10-2003 at 10:17 AM.

Haha, one of Dave Tate's (Westside advocate) articles about the mistakes that people make while deadlifting talks about deadlifting with reps over 3. LOL. He just said generally people's form suffers and it really doesnt do much good.

I think you would get much better results Neil going in a lower rep range. Something to think about. 1-3 reps for deadlifts.

Simplistic
    Well, to be honest, most people's form suffers on everything. I think as long as I stay focused on doing the lift right I will be fine. I also reset between each rep. Does he recommend the same thing for the squat?

Simplistic
    Thurs: back

Chins-
    bwx10

Blah, that's it, a light back day. I'm burned out.

What kind of chins are those Neil?

Simplistic
    Palms out, about 8 inches wider than shoulder width on the grip. They have done wonders for my lat width.

Simplistic
    I took last week off.

I have put some thought into my training and physique and I am very unhappy with where I am at. I haven't gained a pound in almost 6 months, and my body is way out of proportion. I have 17 inch arms and a 41 inch chest. That is way off. I have some work to do. About all I have to show for the last 6 months of my training is some moderate progression and slightly lower bodyfat. I have decided to do the following things to kickstart my training.

- Drop all direct arm work, I don't need to be making my strong points any stronger right now.
    - Drop my volume. No more than 2 work sets per lift.
    - Eat whatever I want (to an extent.) I need to eat more to grow. I don't care if I get "fat."
    - Train to failure.
    - When my progression on deads stops I will incorporate 20 rep squats. I don't care if I throw up.
    - Monitor how I feel and eliminate a strict lifting schedule. If I don't feel fully recovered from my last workout I will take the day off or do a light workout.

I am very optimistic about these changes, and I am looking foreward to some new poundages on my lifts and on the scale.
    Last edited by Neil; 04-21-2003 at 07:41 AM.

Simplistic
    Mon: Chest, shoulders, bi's

BB bench-
    1x8 190
    1x6 195
    I'm going up on these next week. Possibly 200 for my first set.

OH press-
    1x6 135
    1x5 135

BB curls-
    1x7 115, incredible. Good strict form.
    1x5 115
    I know I said I wasn't going to do anymore direct arm work, but I couldn't help myself, and my brother was curling so I had to jump in for a couple sets.

Some heavy calf work and that's it.
    I forgot what it was to train hard. I forgot the gratification it gave me. I feel like I have wasted the last 6 months of my training with this sub maximal bull****. I feel good. I felt like I could have done a lot more work. I takes a lot of self control to stick to a low volume routine.
    Last edited by Neil; 04-23-2003 at 10:15 AM.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    20 rep squats...that is crazy ****. I did those for a while, they really **** you up.

Keep a bucket handy.

Simplistic
    Tues: legs

deadlifts-
    1x6 315
    1x6 325

30 lb increase over my last deadlift session. This is a sign of the chronic overtraining I suspect I had.

I was going to do some standing leg curls but for some reason my knee was kiling me after deads. I don't know what it could be because I didn't train last week and the week before it felt fine. I think I may have slept on it wrong.

Weighted decline situps-
    +35x10
    +40x6

This was a good session, I felt good on the pulls, hopefully 335 next session.
    Last edited by Neil; 04-23-2003 at 10:23 AM.

Simplistic
    Thurs: back

BB rows-
    185x10
    195x7
    The first time I have ever really done these. I had some lower back problems in the past, but they seem to have subsided.

Chins-
    +40x5
    +30x6

Grip work, COC trainer, left arm only-
    1x15
    1x10 w/a 10 second static hold at the end.

Once my left arm gets even close to catching up with my right I will start training them both.
    Pretty good session.

Simplistic
    Mon: Chest, shoulders

BB bench-
    1x7 200
    1x5 195
    OH press-
    1x7 135
    1x4 135

That's it. Short and sweet. I pr'ed on both lifts.