The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Neil
    Mon-

I can't squat as much when I am not using a thick pad on my back.

Ah don;t use that sissy ****! Be a man and go no pads! Heh heh. progressing pretty good. I hope your back or whatever it is gets better. Its probably the HIT thats doing it to you. See Sean told you it would mess you up! *runs and hides*

Simplistic
    I'm finally back in the gym after working on a back inury for the last few weeks.

mon- chest, back
    bb bench- 1x9 195
    pec dec- 1x10 to failure

Chins- 1x8
    cable rows- 1x10 to failure

abs

I have lost about 8 lbs since I last trained hard. I am noticably leaner, and noticably weaker. I'm gonna bump up the calories and shoot to put the 8 lbs back on over the next month or so.

Simplistic
    Fri- legs

leg extensions- 1x12 150
    supersetted with
    Squats- 1x15 135

Leg curls- 1x10 to failure

The poundages will go up pretty fast for a while, this is the first time I have done pre exhaust for my legs.

Simplistic
    My legs are still sore.

Wed- arms

cable latereral raises- right-1x6 35
    left- 1x5 35

reverse pec dec- 1x8 110

palms up pulldowns- 1x6 210

tricep press downs- 1x7 150
    supersetted with
    dips- bwx5

Good workout. Started using a 4-2-4 tempo.

Simplistic
    mon- chest, back

pec dec- 1x6 190
    supersetted with
    incline bench- 1x2 175

straight arm pushdowns 1x8 110
    supersetted with
    palms in pulldowns 1x7 180

Good workout. I'm really liking the slow tempo.

Hey, hows it going Neil?

I was way behind with the journal, nut ive caught up now

Hows the back? your last set of pics looked damn impressive You can definately see a marked improvement, but what about leg pics

I like the low volume routine, you use and i think i may employ something similar in the near future (once i get my shoulder sorted) although i may use some bb curls/dips as my arms need some serious attention.

Looking forward to seeing the leg/shoulder workout, all the best mate

train hard always

B-R
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Simplistic
    It's going good, thanks for checking in.

My back has gotten a lot better, six visits to the chiro, some accupressure therapy, and lots of rest and light stretching have made a big difference.

The routine I am using now is straight out of a Mike Mentzer book. I figured I would give the routine a fair chance. Low volume has yeilded the best results for me over any volume protocol, and I will probably never go back to higher volume work. I'll get some leg pics up soon.

Simplistic
    Fri- legs

leg extensions- 1x12 160
    supersetted with
    Squats- 1x17 150

Leg curls- 1x11 70 5-2-5 tempo.
    supersetted with
    SLDL- 1x5 185

I probably won't try that last superset again, my legs were way to shaky after the quad work.
    Great workout. Excellent energy.

Looks good, supersetting the legs is superb, ive never tried it until i read about HIT-The Mike Mentzer Way.

How much are you paying for chiro if you dont mind? Ive been having it for my shoulder and its costing me 40 ($85) a session! had 4 so far and its going alright, but not training is really frustrating.

Keep the training strong mate and get them legs up soon

Originally posted by Neil
    Fri- legs

leg extensions- 1x12 160
    supersetted with
    Squats- 1x17 150

Leg curls- 1x11 70 5-2-5 tempo.
    supersetted with
    SLDL- 1x5 185

I probably won't try that last superset again, my legs were way to shaky after the quad work.
    Great workout. Excellent energy.

NEIL, that is why you should do it. Remember, the basic rule of Mentzer's HIT is that the greater the intensity of effort the better (to coincide with the requisite low volume).

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Shaking = Good

Simplistic
    Originally posted by chris mason

NEIL, that is why you should do it. Remember, the basic rule of Mentzer's HIT is that the greater the intensity of effort the better (to coincide with the requisite low volume).
    I was thinking that myself, but the problem was that I was trying to hit my hams hard and I had a hard time standing up when doing SLDL's because my quads were so taxed from the first squat superset. I'm basically arfaid my legs are just going to buckle when doing SLDL's. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Neil; 10-18-2003 at 09:35 AM.

Simplistic
    Originally posted by Big-Ron
    Looks good, supersetting the legs is superb, ive never tried it until i read about HIT-The Mike Mentzer Way.

How much are you paying for chiro if you dont mind? Ive been having it for my shoulder and its costing me 40 ($85) a session! had 4 so far and its going alright, but not training is really frustrating.

Keep the training strong mate and get them legs up soon
    Have you read his book?

Luckily I have insurance so my chiro visits are only $10 each. What did you do to your shoulder?

a) Skip the stiffs
    b) Do the stiffs first
    c) Suck it up

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Simplistic
    I think I'm gonna go with option A.
    Last edited by Neil; 10-18-2003 at 10:57 PM.

Yeah ive read the book, Ive always been a Mentzer fan, but couldnt get hold of any of his books in the UK, i finally managed to get the latest one (HIT-The Mike Mentzer Way). Unfortunately Heavy Duty I and II plus muscles in minutes are like gold-dust over here.

As for the shoulder, i have scapula instability. Which basically means i have little control over my right shoulder blade, this causes the other muscles to work overtime, ultimately an imbalance occurs and the humerus is moved out of position into a tendon causing tendonitis.

Its now 7 weeks with no training and ive got control over the tendonitis, but trying to control the scapula is the hardest thing ive done in my life! It takes hours of practise and i still get no where

Hopefully i will sort it before the new year.

oh and your lucky $10 a time is excellent, i could of recived treatment FOC but there is a watining list.

later neil

Simplistic
    Wed- arms

cable latereral raises- right-1x6 35
    left- 1x5 35

reverse pec dec- 1x5 130

palms up pulldowns- 1x7 210

tricep press downs- 1x7 150
    supersetted with
    dips- bwx5

Good workout. My tempo is getting gradually slower, it was closer to 4-2-6 today.

Simplistic
    mon- chest, back

pec dec- 1x7 195
    supersetted with
    incline bench- 1x2 165

straight arm pushdowns 1x8 130
    supersetted with
    palms in pulldowns 1x6 185

Great workout again. I progressed on everything but my incline press, but I really hit the pec dec hard so I'm not too worried about it.

Nice workout Neil,

Why do you think you halted on the incline? like you say at least you increased your pec-dec.

How do you find the palms in pull-downs? personally i love them and they really beat up my back, in fact i liked them so much i bought an attachment for my gym as they didnt have one

What is your cadence like neil is it 4-4 like Mentzer suggests are do you advocate the super slow i.e. 10-10 cadence??

keep it strong fella

Simplistic
    I started off with the 4-4 but it's gotten closer to 6-6 lately. I think this is one of the reasons my incline suffered. The cadence was slower on both the incline and the pec dec, and given the pec dec progression I think I may have taxed my chest a bit more which carried over to my incline poundage. The palms in pulldowns are awesome. One thing I have been noticing is hypertrophy around my ribcage and ab area from a slower cadence on them. You really have to keep your midsection tight when you raise the bar back up.

Simplistic
    Fri- legs

leg extensions- 1x12 170
    supersetted with
    Squats- 1x17 175 25 LBS OF PROGRESSION!

Leg curls- 1x12.5 70 5-2-5 tempo

This was one of my top ten best workouts ever.

Excellent, i did the exact workout yesterday except i did Leg press instead of squats and had calve raises after curls.

25lbs of progression!!!!!!!!

What made you think of putting 25lbs on the bar? all the same that is some great work, no doubt you will be sore tommorow

As for the cadence 4-4 seems to work best for me, although on the failure rep a good hold and something closer to 8-10 seconds for the negative is also good.

btw have you seen the mentzer video with Markus Reinhardt? the intensity on leg day is so motivating

Wannabebig Member

great stuff!

Wow....you're doing great! Those arms are really solid. They closely resemble the arms of an old-time pro wrestler named Austin Idol. Although you and I are in the same general strength range for each of our bodyparts (including arms), I must say that your arms are definitely bigger than mine! (I'm 6'4" and tend to be more ecto-mesomorphic). Clearly a lesson in body types there I guess and you certainly have been blessed with great arms without question. I've enjoyed browsing through your journal. Anyway, keep up the great work!

Simplistic
    mon- chest, back

incline bench- 1x5 195
    I got the worst spot ever on these, I could have had a couple more, but the guy was doing them for me, so I just racked it and moved on.
    Flat bench- 1x5 205
    It's been a while since I did these, the movement felt awkward.

straight arm pushdowns 1x7 140
    supersetted with
    palms in pulldowns 1x5 190

No chest superset today due to not having a training partner.

Simplistic
    Originally posted by Big-Ron
    Excellent, i did the exact workout yesterday except i did Leg press instead of squats and had calve raises after curls.

25lbs of progression!!!!!!!!

What made you think of putting 25lbs on the bar? all the same that is some great work, no doubt you will be sore tommorow

As for the cadence 4-4 seems to work best for me, although on the failure rep a good hold and something closer to 8-10 seconds for the negative is also good.

btw have you seen the mentzer video with Markus Reinhardt? the intensity on leg day is so motivating

I felt very focused and confident, so I threw the extra 25lbs on the bar. I have been trying to be more mentally prepared for my workouts lately, and this one really paid off. I do the same thing as you on my last rep, I usually go about 10 seconds. I haven't seen the video, did you buy it, or can I get any of it online?

How did that leg superset feel? Get up a journal, it's lonely being the only HITee around here