The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: traps

traps

apart frok shrugs,what else hits the raps?i want them to grow since they seem small to the rest of my body.
    thanx
    Started Lifting Again!
    Msn Messenger: delveyboy@hotmail.com
    Im always pissed off and have occasional peaceful spells - By MrWebb78
    Nothing says masculin like a dump on the floor - by Intensity

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

PR blaster!
    shrug
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

Traps get a good workout from deadlifts, also you might want to try variations of the shrug for example Smith Shrug, DB shrug, the farmers walk is not too bad either to shake things up a little.

Form is a must and build upon it, try and touch your ears with your shoulders, hold it for a count and slowly lower and repeat.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    I have big traps and socrates taught me how he developed his traps.......they are damn big.

Originally posted by duque21
    I have big traps and socrates taught me how he developed his traps.......they are damn big.
    Please share with us how you and socrates built your traps. Saying you have big traps really does not help anyone at all.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

i already do deadlifts.i know i need to work on my form with shrugs.will try big-rons advice.
    Started Lifting Again!
    Msn Messenger: delveyboy@hotmail.com
    Im always pissed off and have occasional peaceful spells - By MrWebb78
    Nothing says masculin like a dump on the floor - by Intensity

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/atta...&postid=317656

Check those out.........

This is a variation of shrugs that we learned......it works great. I must cation you, this puts stress on your lower back, due to the leaning over, so if you are in any way injured or have a weakness in your lower back I would stay with lighter weight.

This is an exercise I read about some where, I am not sure where ..but I have been incorporating it into my routine and I have to give it all the credit to the size of my traps.

It is a variation of a shrug, I must cation you it can be dangerous if you are not carfule and do not have a strong lower back.

1.- You take DB's and get into your normal shrug postion

2.- Once you standing straight, take your shoulders and drop them in towards your chest

3.- once your shoulders are dropped kinda hunch over so that the weight pulls your shoulders down

4.- now that your shuolders are all the way dropped shrug them towards your ears.

This movement will help develop the upper part of the trap and help create a degree of heigth on your trap, making it grow up your neck
    Last edited by duque21; 10-06-2002 at 04:31 PM.

Deadlifts and Farmers Walk.

A Fortnight Dead
    This movement will help develop the upper part of the trap and help create a degree of heigth on your trap, making it grow up your neck
    So am I to understand that you credit the exercise with changing the shape of your trap? Would this be similar to, say, doing incline bench to develop your upper chest?
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 10-06-2002 at 04:52 PM.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Well, the traps are a slightly different matter, since there are four different insertions....there actually is an "upper" trap that performs a different function from the "middle" and "lower" versions. What he's describing could possibly affect that "upper" version more than the rest.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

A Fortnight Dead
    I agree. I just feel that there would be no discernible difference in growth between the various portions of the muscle. That is: if Duque were to perform straight shrugs, and his traps were genetically predisposed to develop "height", then he would notice the exact same pattern of development. I don't feel that the variation of exercise, even combined with the different parts of the muscle, is sufficient to overcome genetic predispositions.
    "human kind/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Normally I'd agree with you. However, since the various parts of the traps perform different biomechanical functions (which is not the case with the chest, where both heads to the same thing), its very possible to "target" the upper traps and do very little for the lower part, and vice versa.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

A Fortnight Dead
    I agree with you. What I am simply wondering is whether the hypertrophy resulting from such a routine would be noticeably different from the hypertrophy resulting from a more traditional shrugging routine. Granted, it would depend upon genetic predispositions, but still...In other words, how much difference in upper trap recruitment do you believe exists between a straight DB shrug and the shrug Duque suggested.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Or maybe "v" is just disagreeing to disagree, and yes that is what I am saying........just doing curls is going change the shape of your bicep....from being small, to big. Shape is a general word, so if you just mean will it look different? Well of course it's going to look different.

Why don't you try something before you knock it?

well I think shape means shape and size means size, but I could be wrong.

A Fortnight Dead
    Exactly, Jackt.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Originally posted by _-_v_-_
    I agree with you. What I am simply wondering is whether the hypertrophy resulting from such a routine would be noticeably different from the hypertrophy resulting from a more traditional shrugging routine. Granted, it would depend upon genetic predispositions, but still...In other words, how much difference in upper trap recruitment do you believe exists between a straight DB shrug and the shrug Duque suggested.
    I don't think there would be much difference at all. I also don't think people should even worry about isolating different heads of muscles until they are competing.
    It wouldn't make that noticeable of a difference anyways... regular shrugs work just fine. Try doing deads and BB/DB rows, then finish with a set of shrugs.
    I found since I left my traps alone, they've grown more.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"