Thread: deadlift max

Mr.Irish

deadlift max

im just wondering but if I can deadlift 255 for 6 reps what do you think my approx max would be?

Why don't you figure out what you max is by lifting it?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Yeah, there is no absolute max. You have to train up to your max as your body will not be used to the kind of weight your are asking it to lift. I know on bench I tried to max once, after never trying before...and was very disappointed, then a couple days later I tried again and the weight was a piece of cake. You have to acclimate your CNS to the poundage and rep range you will be attempting before you can be successful at a maximal lift in my experience.

Ps. On deadlift that can be a painful process.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Mr.Irish
    I wanted an approximation.
    I dont always feel comfortable going for a one rep max in excersizes which I could possibly hurt myself, especially in a university gym with nobody ever there.

Enlighten me. How are you going to drop the bar on yourself doing a deadlift?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Mr.Irish
    I dont want to hurt my back.
    It can happen.

I dont know whats the deal here,
    Powermandl you dont seem like such a bb genius to be throwing around sarcastic comments.
    Last edited by jagleaso; 10-01-2002 at 03:06 PM.

If you can do 255 6 times, then you can most likely do 280-300lbs. That is an approximate guess.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    again, find your max by lifting it. He's genius enough to know you can't find it by approximation. as LP said there really is no such thing as a 1 rep max, unless you train your body to that max.

Wannabebig Member
    According to a rep calculator, 295-296. In reality you will only know your one rep max if you test it. Just to let you know powerman never claimed to be a bb genius, but he is a powerlifter and is pretty damn knowledgable. If your interested in one rep lifts he can probably help you out. I think he is pulling in the 400 range.

Originally posted by jagleaso
    I dont want to hurt my back.
    It can happen.

I dont know whats the deal here,
    Powermandl you dont seem like such a bb genius to be throwing around sarcastic comments.
    I repeat. How will having others in the gym prevent this from happening?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

[Shameless plug]

There's a small program that somebody here wrote that will show you estimates for reps or weight based on a known rep-weight combination. You can use it to estimate 1RMs or to find your 15RM, 10RM, 5RM numbers prior to starting an HST cycle. You can find it on WBB by searching on RepCalc. It's free.

[/Shameless plug]

My calculator says you can do 301
    but... its all technique

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Throw out the stupid calcultors.

Keep adding weight until you can't lift anymore. There is your max.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    You might be pleasantly surprised doign your max. For on reason or another, my estimated max was once only 230, but i could actually bench 250, so you may be able to do a lot more than ure estimated max
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

3:16
    from the chart i can do 455 pounds for 8 1/2 reps. or 445 pounds for 9 1/2 reps.

How do I work out my 20 rep max from this??????????

I know i go to thegym and lift it.

as powerman mentioned, how will other people in thegym stop you hurting your self. If you worried about your technique not being correct, then your still likely to hurt your self using a weight that you can do 6 reps for. there is not a huge difference in weight and potential for injury between the two if your form is good.
    if your struggling for the last reps on it, you may have more chance of injuring yourself as you loose concentration during the last reps. while a 1RM is over quicker so you don't loose concentration.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.