Thread: Hrm. Update on 'dem rear delts.

I've been trying for awhile to get my shoulders to set back, and the problem I thought all along was lack of rear delt development. I row heavy, but it doesn't seem to work that awful great.

So I started doing cable crossovers, hitting at an angle which I could feel it in the rear delt area as well. Instead of stepping out like I usually do, I stood inside of the crossover machine and made a wide arc from top to bottom... Pretty much, I crossed at mid-abdomen. Still worked my chest, but hit the rear delts evidently as well.

My shoulders have finally set back into place, and I'm looking quite broad. Could also have something to do with the fact I'm weighing a ton ATM, compared to what I used to be. It's been a little over a month since I started this, and it's noticeable...

Just thought I'd let you guys know about that. Not sure why. Incase anyone is having problems with rear delts too, I guess it could be something to try...

I have problems with mine. I have almost brought them up to what I believe is balanced.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Yaz, cable crossovers, which are for the chest, will not involve the rear delts to any appreciable degree. If you are feeling them, it is because they are acting as a stabilizer (or something of that kind). I am not trying to rip you, I just don't want others getting the wrong idea.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Chris- I believe he was referring to using the cables and doing basically a reverse-crossover. You take the cables and pull them back contracting the rear delts. Hits them very well with constant tension. Good for you Yazzer.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Thanks for the clarification Latman.. I interpreted it like Chris did. But what you said sounds intriguing... I may have to see how that feels.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Actually, after re-reading Yaz's post, I see what you guys mean. I think Yaz is off his fookin rocker!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Hahaha....I think so, too.

"...Still worked my chest, but hit the rear delts evidently as well..."

They do act as a stabilizer.

And I am off my rocker. I wish I could explain the motion. Let me think about it... 2:30am, and right now it's not gonna happen.

But I'll tell you, my rear delts never became noticeable until I started this. Maybe it's just all that fat clogging underneath my armpits.

Yeah, I agree with you Yaz ma' boy. Its the fat clogging underneath your armpits.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

The exercise that Latman described should work the rear delts, because they are external rotators. Two other exercises you can try for the posterior delts (and teres minor and infraspinatus, in case you ever feel the neeed to bulk up these muscles):
    1) Use a pec-dec but face toward the weight stack instead of away from it. Start with your hands together and pull them apart. This should also hit the muscles in betweeen your shoulder blades if you also squeeze your shoulder blades together at the end of the movement. If you don't have a pec-dec machine you can do a similar movement by bending forward at the waist and using dumbells.
    2) Lie on you side with a light dumbell in your upper hand. Your elbow should be bent to 90 degrees. Keep your upper arm against the side of your chest and lift the dumbell up by rotating your upper arm at the shoulder.