Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Tight Like A Tiger!'

"Shock and Awe!"

Ive finally decided to do a journal, after some pondering over what others have said. I thought i spend enough time on the forums so, i'll try and make a go of one.

Current Stats:
    As of 3/10/02

Height: 6'1.5 (cant forget the .5)
    Weight: 202lbs
    Forearm:12.4"
    Upper Arm: 14.2"
    Waist:33"
    Thigh:25.5"
    Calve:15.5"

Enough of the measurements, my routine currently stands as a modified WBB1 with a few exercise changes:

Mon:Chest&Back
    Tue:Rest
    Wed:Legs:
    Thurs:Rest
    Fri:Shoulders,Biceps and triceps.
    Sat&Sun:Rest

This has worked well for me considering that back in April i only weighed 120lbs soaking wet! so im pretty proud of my achivements so far, although my arms seem to be stubborn and could do with some help over time to improve them to no longer be my weak link.

Im currently at university studying Business Management &Sports Science and am in my second year things are going great, i also have qualifications in sports nutrition as well as the basic high school q's. So you can probably guess that i pay alot of attention to diet, consuming six meals per day between 3500-3700cals.(As Gunter always says Bodybuilding is 70%nutrition)

I'll try and update as often as possible (studies permitting), im not as entertaining as the likes of good ole Budiak but i can have my moments.

PN. please feel free at any time to give me advise on my training as im learning all the time and this would enchance my bodybuilding process.

thanks BR
    Last edited by Silverback; 03-31-2003 at 11:36 AM.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Good luck man, looking forward to reading your journal.

There ya go! Good luck and good idea
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Day 1 of a new direction 10/4/02

General
    Day off uni today so i could focus on my Arm workout instead of thinking of Tracy in my sports studies class (dang she's hot)

Got some good kip last night so i was feeling pretty fresh, although my right shoulder was still a bit sore from Wednesdays workout.

Workout

Triceps:

Close Grip Bench (Thumb Width):

Warm up 70 x 20
    90 x 10
    100 x 9

Set a new PB with close grip, so im getting stronger, all reps were decent slow and controlled, i lock out at the top, but have had my doubts lately since others say the tension is removed at the lockout.

Cable Push Down:

Warm up MN 2 x 20
    MN4 x 12
    MN5 x 8

Once again got a new pb on this exercise, im not moving moutains but its progress and thats what matters, right?
    MN stands for the number of notches on my machine at home, i dont know what each one weighs,(it will be the same at the gym as there is no weight configuration for them). Try'd to ensure max form, on the last set it swayed a bit but nothing serious.

Body Weight Dips:

x10

Did well on these to say that im a heavy git now, all 202lbs of it.
    Had to bust some serious veins to get the final few reps out but it was worth it

Overhead Extensions:
    25 x 12
    35 x 10

First time ive ever performed these and it got a decent stretch on the tri's hopefully i'll integrate for the future more often.

Biceps:

DB curl:
    Warm up 20 x 15
    35 x 10
    40 x 8 (x2)

Not bad work on the db's didn't really get a good pump but i felt it so im content. just got to keep striving for more weight.

Barbel curl:

60 x 8
    50 x 7

after the second set did a drop set and pumped out 15 good reps on 30 felt good.

Finisher:
    Concentration Curls:

25 x 8

The first time i ever did c curls i get an imense pump but now i dont know what im doing wrong, but it certainly does feel as though im working the bicep properly, any help?

Sorry if i went on a bit much, ill work out how i can condense it for future work-outs. Spent the afternoon washing my car and starting an assignment on History of American Sport, its really interesting so i thought i would get cracking.We are currently looking at how the Civil War influenced big changes in the direction of sport.

later BR
    Last edited by Silverback; 10-05-2002 at 03:03 AM.

Currenly working on a new routine with the Aid of Maki, so hopefully i'll be able to make soom headway on the upper body front.

Playing soccer today although i dont really want to, but i used to be the the top player until i got tendonitis in my right knee, for some reason they think that i can make a comeback, but my pace has disintergrated leaving me grounded.

I still love the sport but my desire for bodybuilding has seemed to outweigh somewhat.

Does anyone know where i can find good info on the net about biomechanics? ive got an assignment requiring an analysis of a performer and was considering using weight training as my examlpe to work off, could be very promising

BR

Body Weight Dips:

x10
    Strength looking good BR. Keep up the hard work man. Do you have any strength goals for 2003 yet?

Originally posted by Big-Ron

Sorry if i went on a bit much, ill work out how i can condense it for future work-outs. [/B]
    See that's the great thing about it being your journal. You can go on for as long as you like because it's your journal.

Well done on the bulking.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

posted by monstar
    Strength looking good BR. Keep up the hard work man. Do you have any strength goals for 2003 yet?
    I would like to be benching 90's by december thats for sure, otherwise i'll update you later today, ive got to go play soccer, hopefully there will be be some nice ladies watching so i can show off my skills and muscley legs!

Do you have a way to add weight to your dips eventually? Weighted dips have become my favorite upper body movement by far.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally Posted by Nate Dogg

Do you have a way to add weight to your dips eventually?
    not at the moment but i'll see if body solid does a belt im sure they do and i'll get one ordered.

Just finnished playing soccer we won 5-1 and i scored twice on my comeback they also asked me to sign permenantly which really upped my confidence, but they said i must work on my speed and lose some bulk . I got loads of praise and i'll be in the paper next week so thats a bonus (i'll scan the article and post it)

Although priority number one is getting some serious strength on board, million dollar bills ya'll.

later Who's the Daddy? BR

Woke up this morning and felt awful, my whole body felt num, i havent experienced pain like this in a long while.
    I was going to do some light back work, but decided against it and rested instead.

Diet perfecto as usual, nice and clean, spread out through the day.

Been thinking about some comments on wbb and some other sites and decided that i may take a trip down the strength route. Im weighing 202lbs and pretty happy with my physique (ableit arms). I might just focus on bolstering my strength before i bulk some more, any thoughts.

later 'nice night for a walk'

Been thinking about some comments on wbb and some other sites and decided that i may take a trip down the strength route. Im weighing 202lbs and pretty happy with my physique (ableit arms). I might just focus on bolstering my strength before i bulk some more, any thoughts.
    I think that going down the strength road would be a great idea BR. I have been focusing on my strength for around the past year and my strength has really skyrocketed. I mean its gone up like crazy. +50-75 lbs. dips to +170 lbs. dips, BW chins to +100 lbs. chins, etc. etc.

oringinally posted by monstar I think that going down the strength road would be a great idea BR. I have been focusing on my strength for around the past year and my strength has really skyrocketed. I mean its gone up like crazy. +50-75 lbs. dips to +170 lbs. dips, BW chins to +100 lbs. chins, etc. etc.
    i thought it probably would be the best option, also i dont have the money at the moment to be buying new tops and pants to fit my ever-increasing weight being a student and all.

i thought it probably would be the best option, also i dont have the money at the moment to be buying new tops and pants to fit my ever-increasing weight being a student and all.
    Keep in mind that theyre VERY closely related as well BR. Strength and size go hand in hand if you ask me. Not always in a 1:1 ratio but they do go hand in hand. To get stronger you dont necessarily have to get a lot bigger, however, to get bigger you do have to get stronger. Its been that way in my experience at least.

In "Keys To Progress" John talks about how a guy will squat 350 lbs. for 2-3 years and make NO progress in his legs or anywhere for that matter. And then finally once he starts increasing the weights to 375, then finally 400, and then finally 425, etc. - he starts to grow. Strength is a big factor in bodybuilding if you ask me. Much overlooked.

There is a huge myth in bodybuilding that a lot guys are just huge but very weak.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I do believe that its possible to gain size on steroids without dramatically gaining any kind of strength. But for natural bodybuilders I think that strength and size are very closely related.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-06-2002 at 01:52 PM.

Keep in mind that theyre VERY closely related as well BR. Strength and size go hand in hand if you ask me. Not always in a 1:1 ratio but they do go hand in hand. To get stronger you dont necessarily have to get a lot bigger, however, to get bigger you do have to get stronger. Its been that way in my experience at least.
    Sweet post mike, how do you think i should alter my diet to accomodate this new approach, ive been on between 3500-3800 and gaining between 1.5-2lbs per week. My body fat is 15% what do u reckon?

Sweet post mike, how do you think i should alter my diet to accomodate this new approach, ive been on between 3500-3800 and gaining between 1.5-2lbs per week. My body fat is 15% what do u reckon?
    Um.. I would stick with the same kind of eating plan BR. I am realizing now that maybe my calories are a little too low. I dont want to get fat but after some PMs with chris mason in order to gain size and strength ample calories are key. ~3500-4000 for a guy around 200 lbs. like yourself seems like a good range. Obviously I dont know the details of your metabolism, etc. I am not a big fan of eating potatoes and chicken as you can see in my journal. I think that calories is all thats really important.

ALSO I forgot to add that if youre training more for strength youre really going to have to drop your rep range BR. In the 2-4 rep range if you ask me. Youre going to be aiming for neural adaptation. I like to go in the 2-4 (sometimes 1-4) rep range for my first heavy set, and then a bit higher in my 2nd set. My 2nd set is more geared towards hypertrophy.

ALSO I forgot to add that if youre training more for strength youre really going to have to drop your rep range BR. In the 2-4 rep range if you ask me. Youre going to be aiming for neural adaptation. I like to go in the 2-4 (sometimes 1-4) rep range for my first heavy set, and then a bit higher in my 2nd set. My 2nd set is more geared towards hypertrophy.
    Thanks for the lit mike, ill put the theory into practise tommorow on my chest and back day, man im motivated!

ive never tried the very low rep range before so it could shock my system creating new growth (lets hope so). I'll try and keep my workout time lower than 60 mins its usually hovers around there but i end up chatting about different training and social issues.

As for diet, i used to focus just on the cals but when i started figuring ratio's thats when i started add decent mass. Although people like to work in different ways. Being specific helps me to stay on track.

In the afternoon ive got 4 continuous hours of business lectures (joy) with a ten min break at 2 hours. It gets pretty tedious but ill take a big shake in with me. + some bodybuilding/weight training literature just in case it gets heavy. thanks BR
    Last edited by Silverback; 10-06-2002 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks for the lit mike, ill put the theory into practise tommorow on my chest and back day, man im motivated!
    Yeah go for it BR, I think thats easily your best bet. After experimenting quite a bit, I think that the first workset should be in the lower rep range---the 1-4 rep range, leaning towards the 2-3 rep range. And this set should obviously be a maximal set taken to failure. The next set like I said should be more geared towards hypertrophy. Particularly in the 8-10 rep range. This 2nd workset should be more of a 'pump' set so to speak. Focusing on the muscular contractions, etc.

ive never tried the very low rep range before so it could shock my system creating new growth (lets hope so). I'll try and keep my workout time lower than 60 mins its usually hovers around there but i end up chatting about different training and social issues.
    Yeah it might spur some new growth, you never know. Extremely low reps deal more with neural adaptation more than hypertrophy, however. I meant to add BR that I would recommend lowering your overall volume a bit now that youre going to be into the very low rep range. 1-4RMs are VERY strenuous on your nervous system. So you have be careful and not overtrain. I would recommend around 2-6 total sets for each muscle group. I train with 4 total sets for chest and back and legs, and 2-3 for arms, etc.

You gained 80lbs in 6 months?

well its 7 now, but yeah i did gain 80lbs and my body fat is only 15% at the end of my 1st bulking phase.

i'll get some pics done as soon as i can.

BR

You better have some before and afters because that's pretty sick. I'm sure everyone's going to want to see those.

Are your arms 14.2" unflexed?

How do you mean pretty sick, i cant help the way my body has reacted to the weights and food consumed.

My arms are 14.2 flexed, they are definately a weak point and i have tried so much (trust me) they are stubborn. Why would i want to lie, speak to anyone else on WBB i have talked with right from the start and you will see.

im here to improve myself and will do anything to acheive it.

I never once implied that you lied, douche-bag.

My vernacular may confuse you since you are English, so I'll forgive.

Sick = Impressively good

I think that is one hell of a good body transformation and you should be proud as hell. I know I'd be quite thrilled with that. Unfortunately I am an "easy-gainer" and by "easy-gainer" I mean fat. I can get myself down to a low bf but as soon as I start to bulk it seems the fat is the first to come on. I'll work it out though.

As far as your arms go, that is definitely a weak point. Not trying to offend, of course. I'm sure that they'll progress as you move on, you certainly have made good progress in other areas.