The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlift Platform

Does anyone here use a deadlift platform? Are there benefits to using one? Do you have any opinions on it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Deadlift Platform

Originally posted by millertime
    Does anyone here use a deadlift platform? Are there benefits to using one? Do you have any opinions on it?
    The problem I have with them is that if you can not get a weight up and back on the rack after a set, it gets really interesting trying to get your hands out from under it, whilst not breaking anything putting it down. That is assuming that yours is the same as the one at my gym.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Re: Re: Deadlift Platform

Originally posted by NateDogg

The problem I have with them is that if you can not get a weight up and back on the rack after a set, it gets really interesting trying to get your hands out from under it, whilst not breaking anything putting it down. That is assuming that yours is the same as the one at my gym.
    Good point I didn't think of that.

I think the point is so you can go further down on a DL with 45s. I'm afraid of heights so I don't use it.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

I have only used it when doing stiff legged deadlifts so that I could touch the bar to my shoelaces.
    I found this alot better on my low back rather than stopping the movement at mid shin height....not sure why??

I use the deadlift rack all the time and love it. It sure beats trying to pick up one end of a bar with one hand to load that last 45 on. When I had to do that, the loading was a more intense workout than the deadlift! Plus, I don't want to hog up the power rack in case someone needs to do squats. The platform I use also has a setting to put the pins so the bar lines up exactly where it would on your shins if it were sitting on the ground with 45s. Therefore, they are full ROM deadlifts without the pain of loading a bar sitting on the floor.

The problem I have with them is that if you can not get a weight up and back on the rack after a set, it gets really interesting trying to get your hands out from under it, whilst not breaking anything putting it down.
    Your gym must have a different platform than the one I use. Nothing gets anywhere near my hands on the one I use. Plus, I don't rack mine between sets. I just leave it on the saftey bars. (since that is the normal starting position)
    5-9 170

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    . The platform I use also has a setting to put the pins so the bar lines up exactly where it would on your shins if it were sitting on the ground with 45s. Therefore, they are full ROM deadlifts without the pain of loading a bar sitting on the floor.

)
    How exactly do you do that? If the bar was as low (on the rack) as it was on the ground, you would still have to pick up one end to load it. Just curious.

How exactly do you do that? If the bar was as low (on the rack) as it was on the ground, you would still have to pick up one end to load it. Just curious.
    The bar is wider than the platform. Therefore the plates hang about a foot out on each side from the safety pins the bar is on. Since the platform is elevated, the plates are about 1.5 feet off the normal ground, but even with the platform ground (where I'm lifting off of). I'll try to find a picture of what I'm talking about b/c I'm not the greatest at explaining things.
    5-9 170

Yeah, what NateDogg said.

And, of course, the platform is primarily for Stiff Legged Dead Lifts (SLDL). You have more range of motion on the platform, but you can lift a little more with no platform. No platform, what you do is bend your knees and pick up the weight. Put it back down. Simple. I used to like SLDL, but lately I'm doing deadlifts without a platform. Getting huge.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Little tip for loading the 45's on the bar for deads:

Use a 10 lb plate and slide the 45's that are already on the bar up onto the 10. That side will be raised and you can now add more weight without it touhing the floor. Deadlift on the floor unless you are doing a variation like rack pulls or something.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL