The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

popping elbow during skulls

Whenever I do Skull Crushers or even French Presses my damn elbow start popping then hurting. Could I be doing them wrong or what the hell could it be.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I too have pain in my elbows when doing skulls, I've never had the popping though! Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I have some weak tendons and legimets!!

That happens to me too, it feels like some tendon is snapping back and forth across the sharp part of my elbow bone. Only on the left. Its alot worse with french presses than skull crushers. I dont think it can be good. Try a different position or cable pushdowns, I wouldnt keep doing it.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

Warm up real good before you do them. I had that problem enough so that I have dropped skulls, at least for the time being.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by ArjKing
    Only on the left. Its alot worse with french presses than skull crushers.
    Yeah, I get it on my left arm as well. It's really wierd. I don't to stop doing them skulls and french presses have worked awesome for me and helped widen my arms.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

Add another one. Right elbow, no matter what bar I use or where I put my elbows. No popping though, just a sharp pain about 6in on either side of the joint. I'm thinking I better quit them before I really hurt myself. But they do it for my triceps I think pretty well. What should I replace them with (no dips)?

The Tuna Tempter
    I get a bit of a pain in the inner side of my right elbow, just above the elbow, i think it would be a tendon?
    This pain occurs at around the lowest point of the ROM of a french press mainly, especially on the concentric.
    Life's too short to be small

yea i get it on my left. It's not bad though if I stretch and warmup a bit before doing skulls.

when i don't stretch my tricep starts to get real stiff during the set and I have a shorter ROM. Sometimes it feels like the ligaments are coming loose from the elbow.
    Last edited by Bobo; 10-02-2002 at 11:43 PM.
    I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape

Fighting isn't fun... It's just fun to watch

"The hardest part is getting started" -me

I don't have the same problem with dips. I think the problem is just flexibility. With a skull crusher and french press especially your elbows are high and that stretches out the tricep and the tendon pops over the elbow at the bottom of the movement. With a dip or a cable pushdown, the tricep is in a more natural position with your elbows down at your sides.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro

I too used to experience pain doing skulls but found by not consciously trying to keep my elbows 'in' and let them flare out more it remedied it straight away.

I hurt me left elbow too doing skull crushers 3 weeks ago and it still hurts, even after doing 2 light warm up sets. Sadly, I had to work around my injury and dropped any type of tricep exercise and pressing movements. When I get better, I am just going to do close grip presses instead. I used to believe skulls are essential for great tris, but after reading this thread skulls just lead to injury.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

Wannabebig Member
    THat happend to my left elbow... i think i strained it too much doing benches and not putting enough chest into it.... it doesnt hurt anymore but pops when i do dips.... and remedies
    I know I'm small, leave me alone...

my right elbow does this on the skulls but once it pops like you pop your knuckle then it goes away...

I get it on my left elbow, almost every time I do skulls... no idea what to do about, and it hurts like a bitch

Wannabebig Member
    i get the same thing in my left elbow. it got pretty severe to the point where it was impossible to curl 2lbs. or move without pain. i gave it a good 2 weeks rest or so. tryed again, and more pain. it usally happens on exercises where i push or pull on the elbow. db press, skull curshers etc.

i went to get a check up, i asked my doctor if i should take glucosamine. she said it wouldnt hurt to try.

so i tryed it, i cant say it helped alot, but i get pains less frequent. although it does come back.

look up tennis elbow on google, should give you more info on what it is.