The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar

straight vs. angled smith machine - pros & cons

Please - no smith machines are evil posts here! Thanks

This is not intended by me to be another smith machines versus freeweight thread. There are other threads for that to add to, please go there. This is a question that presupposes smith machines are OK for some things. I'm open-minded about smith machine questions, but I'd rather not clutter up this thread with "don't use smith machine posts", if you all don't mind.

I am curious about the 7-degree angled versus the straight machines. In the gyms I've seen them in, I'd say they run about 50/50 in terms of which type they have. At least one manufacturer, Hoist, went to the angled and then back to the straight becuase they felt many folks would use them wrong. On Parabody's website they even have a demonstration video with a woman doing squats on it twice, facing one direction the first time and the other direction the second time! In the same video! Not very helpful.

I've gathered that some think the angle makes the movement more natural than straight. Presses for instance, go from around the nipple area to above the clavicle. I'm less certain how this is helpful in a squat. I've searched high and low on the Internet and can't find an article dealing with this issue. For what it's worth, I feel more comfortable in a straight smith machine. That doesn't make them better or my experience "right", I realize, it's just the way I feel.

Does anyone have any articles or helpful information that deal with the angle vs. straight issue? I'd very much appreciate an informative educational discussion in the style of PowerMan or Chris Mason on this one, folks. Thanks.

*dons pink tights and ruffled socks and prances down to the basement to play on his smith machine*

JPC
    Last edited by JohnCollins; 10-06-2002 at 03:40 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How dare you make a Smith machine thread? Bastard!
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    I've always shyed away from smith machines, I think it takes away alot of important elements, mainly balance and control.

A. F.
    smith machines are evil

A. F.
    just kidding.. i DO use them for trap exercises though...

I'd guess that the STRAIGHT version would be harder and more natural..

Interesting you mention that, Spawn. I met a BBer at a business convention--he was hyoooge-- and he said he loved the smith for trap exercises. Said something about it helped him hold his shoulders a certain way and that isolated the traps better. I didn't ask him about angled or straight. Based on what he was doing, though, I don't think the angle matters.

I'm beginning to think the angle was designed specifically for bench pressing, which I do not do with the smith. I wish I could find some articles on it, though.

JC

P.S. Powerman, I stayed out of the last one completely. I guess I just fell off the wagon!
    Last edited by JohnCollins; 10-07-2002 at 04:42 AM.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

I do believe it was mainly designed for squatting and bench pressing. I've seen the ads and what they've been claiming. All it allows is more of a supposed functional ROM in the exercises you do. As in benching people tend to use an arch pathway in their bench pressing motions. But to try to make a machine designed towards this imo is useless.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

A. F.
    i beg to differ maki.

i think the idea behind a smith machine is pretty good.. if you are benching lets say you could do heavy weights without a spotter because you can set those limiters on the side so that if the bar does fall, its not going to land on you.

Also for traps you are able to pick up the weight at the perfect hight (without bending and deadlifting it), that should technically allow you to do more...

IMO you don't need stabilizer muscles when doing traps though, so i see no reason to not use a smith machine..

just my 2 cents.

That's not what he's saying Spawn.

He's saying the machine is trying to emulate the natural movement of the bench press, by simply including an angle. Which is useless.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Correct. *hands Powerman some whiskey* Oops, I forgot.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

A. F.
    whoops.

Just_a_pup suggested something interesting. For most movements the straight machine is probably best. For pressing (which I don't do on the smith anyway) if you just up your bench one notch from flat, you get the same pressing angle on a straight machine as you'd get on an angled one.

I think the angled ones are probably not as useful. I really do want to get a power cage, though. If I keep putting gym stuff in the basement, my wife is gonna kill me. I'm addicted to toys, like Tim the Toolman on TV.

A. F.
    im addicted to tools.. for real.. am obsessed with DeWalt equipment

my to get list:

18 volt XR cordless drill
    dewalt 115psi 2 gallon tank compressor
    and a grinder of some sort..

Oh, BAY-BEEE, I love that yellow and black color scheme. Dewalt is DaBomb! If they ever make exercise equipment, I'm buying the entire line!